The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 1, 2002, 07:15 PM   #1
Demogorgo

Reccomendations for a nine or ten shot .22LR revolver.

I'm planning to get a .22LR DA revolver with a large capacity soon. I find it a hassle to load a clip when I'm just plinking, and I just think that revolvers are more fun to shoot.

The "worst revolver" thread was very helpful because now I know that I should stay away from the 9-shot Rexio and the 10-shot H&R model 999.

I'm currently looking at the 9-shot Taurus 94. They seem to get good reviews on this forum, and I like my Taurus 617. However, I'm just looking for something to plink with when I have 332423342 rounds of .22LR left and I want to take a break from the 10/22. So getting a brand new Taurus might be out of the question, but if I see a used one for sale, I'll probably nab it.

So my question is this: What similar guns have you guys had good experience with?

P.S. This is an incredibly dumb question, but can a 22LR revolver accept .22 Short ammunition? I'll probably never fire .22 Short in my entire life, but it's a question that's been on my brain for a while.
Old September 1, 2002, 07:33 PM   #2
CZ_

The only one worth looking at, IMO, is the S&W 617.
Old September 1, 2002, 07:36 PM   #3
Cawdor

Although it is more expensive, I am very happy with my 4" S&W 617.
Old September 1, 2002, 08:09 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Older Smith and Wesson 17, 18, or 34.
Only six shots?
So what? The shooting is unbeatable.
Old September 1, 2002, 08:43 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

Agree with Jim Watson.

Sam
Old September 2, 2002, 02:48 PM   #6
retiredsquid

I am very pleased with both of my Model 617's, both are 6" models, but one is 10 shot and the other a 6 shooter. Very fine revolvers.

Taurus makes a nice inexpensive 9 shot in their Model 94, but it is not nearly as well refined (trigger/action) as the S&W. I have one in the SS 2" version and a nice S&W Model 63 clone.
Regards,
Rich
Old September 2, 2002, 11:42 PM   #7
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Smith has the 317 Airweight (?) that holds 8. A consideration (psst, buy used ) We've a couple & very pleased.

& yes. Nice thing about a revo is that they'll shoot anything from CB caps up to LR
Old September 3, 2002, 07:35 AM   #8
Hemicuda

A nice used High-Standard Double Nine would fit your bill nicely... nine shot double action... looks like an old single action, but has a swing-out cylinder...

can be had for the 100 to 175 dollar mark, depending on area... and these things wear like IRON!

Dad bought his used in 1958 or '59... and shot it CONSTANTLY 'till about a year ago... it looks all wore out... ALOT of the finish is gone... but it locks up tighter than heck...(I had to replace 2 roll pins to achieve this... parts from the local hardware store...)

best estimate (I asked Dad) is 50,000 rounds or so... and the ONLY parts replaced are those 2 roll pins!

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old September 3, 2002, 08:25 AM   #9
Bacchus

I'm usually one to suggest Taurus right away. But perhaps not this time. I'll verify the claims about the poor triggers. I met a guy at the range who had one (don't know the model) and he mentioned that he had had to send it away to a smith to get the trigger smoothed over. Other than that, he loved it. So if you're going to go with the Taurus, be sure to check out the trigger first and factor in the potential cost of sending it to a smith.

I'm glad you like your other Taurus. I think that the firm is vastly under-rated.
Old September 3, 2002, 09:31 AM   #10
Frenchy

For high capacity shooting, the Smith 617 has my vote...hands down. Superior in every way compared to anything else on the market.
Personally, I prefer my pre-17 Masterpiece.
Old September 3, 2002, 11:32 AM   #11
charleym3

Taurus 94. I cut two coils off of the hammer spring and love shooting it. I tried the Wolff reduced power hammer spring, it works fine in Single action, but the hammer doesn't come back as far shooting DA so I got about 30% failure rate.
Old September 3, 2002, 10:52 PM   #12
Sundance

I have a 6" 6 shot 617 and couldn't be more pleased with it. The 10 shot ought to be just the same except for 4 more rounds. That would be my recommendation.
Old September 4, 2002, 05:55 PM   #13
Demogorgo

Thanks for your advice, guys. I had no idea that the S&W 617 came in a 10-shot version. The Taurus I have (also a "617", ha ha) was used, so the trigger was already broken in. I'll try to find the same thing with the model 94.

Right now, it's a toss up between a used S&W 617 and a used Taurus 94. I guess it depends on which I can find in better shape for a more reasonable cost. Thanks.
Old September 5, 2002, 11:46 AM   #14
CZ Gunner

Taurus '94 4" SS 9 x 22 (S, L, LR) ... nice shoot. Smallish grip / frame. Very accurate.

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -- Vegitius, c. 375 AD
Old September 5, 2002, 01:33 PM   #15
mcshot

I go with Hemicuda on the High Standard. I have the 4" camp gun with both cylinders. Unfortunately they are no longer available and are considered collectible so my price for a NIB model was triple the price quoted. Otherwise my vote goes to S&W although after fooling with the cylinder ejection process you'll be looking for an auto as my brother and friend did. They both got Browning Buckmarks.