The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 1, 2002, 12:52 PM   #1
uzi4me

Opinions On Rock River Arms ar carbines

i would like in depth opinions about the rock river arms ar series of guns .. the a4 interests me .. i would like opinions on the barrels that are made by the company WILSON .. how they are .. average .. above average .. for a non match shooting point of view .. fit and finish .. any experience from you who have then ..
if course i would be buying new .. so we are talking post ban of course .. comparisons .. function .. jamming machine .. no jamming machine .. quality of parts used .. etc .. you guys know what im after .. i may purchase one and dont want to make a mistake .. but for 600 dollars .. i cant see how it could be a mistake .. thanks ..
Old September 1, 2002, 01:19 PM   #2
JG

Well, I'll just say that I have never heard of anyone "not" liking their Rock River ARs.......I know for a fact their fit and finish is excellent.
Old September 1, 2002, 01:37 PM   #3
Steve Smith

I think they're great. I shoot in Highpower Rifle competition, and I see a lot of them, and shoot one myself. Sean McKenna has been using one for quite a while and got 17th place at the President's 100 at Camp Perry with it, bone stock. That's out of 1,308 shooters! There are a ton of them on the HP firing line these days, and they're darn good guns. I'm referring to the "CMP" legal models, of course, but I don't see why any of the other models be any different. Great accuracy, well less than 1" at 100 yards, with good ammo. Mine will shoot at basically 1/2 MOA, assuming I can hold it. Fit and finish are excellent. Reliability, well, would a competitive shooter havean unreliable rifle? No way. They work great.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old September 1, 2002, 01:52 PM   #4
Redlg155

Excellent rifles. I've got a Rock River and a Bushmaster lower to compare in front of me and the Rock River looks extremely good. I'd say a tie between the two. I've ordered barrels, uppers, lower parts kits, stocks and 9mm uppers from them and have yet to be dissatisfied.

Rock River also makes excellent 1911s, but they take forever to get one.

Good SHooting
Red
Old September 2, 2002, 05:29 PM   #5
Jspy

I don't currently own one (yet), but agree that for the money you could hardly go wrong. I was checking some out at the Indy 1500 show last week and had a chance to talk to a factory rep. Seems like a lot of gun for the money. I currently own a Bushmaster shorty but will probably opt for the Rock River for my next one. What I really want is a RR 1911, but I don't have the patience to wait that long for one. If they were a little more avialable in my area, no doubt I would have both.
Old September 3, 2002, 03:53 AM   #6
cratz2

I had a Bushmaster a while back and ended up selling it just because I rarely shot it. I recently bought an RRA used (for $600 ) and absolutely love it. I've only taken it out twice and it impressed the heck out of me both times. I'm much more of a handgun guy but the RRA makes enjoying rifle shooting very easy. Again, I'm no rifle sharpshooter so I'm not going to brag about small groups but out to 300 yards, it was very easy to stay within 6" with a makeshift rest. A true rest would have allowed for more accuracy, no doubt.

I've shot surplus ammo, three different varmint rounds and a friends handloads and had no failures of any kind using USGI 30 round mags. And nearly every person that has one is extremely happy with it. I have a Rock River 1911 on order and when I had the chance to buy this one in as new condition, I didn't think too long.

For $600 new, I'd say jump on it. But as far as 'Wilson' making the barrels, I don't believe it is the Wilson of custom 1911 fame. Good barrels either way, just not that Wilson.
Old September 4, 2002, 06:06 PM   #7
jtduncan

I'm also a regular at AR15.com.

They are very demanding about their rifles.

And RRA has favored status across the board. But you can't go wrong is you buy ABCDOR.

That speaks for itself.

Res ipsa loquitor!
Old September 4, 2002, 08:47 PM   #8
JIH

I'm a regular at AR15.com as well.

I have a RR M4gery 16" post-ban, chrome lined upper on my ArmaLite lower. This is a great upper. I can basically call my shots at 100 yards, even with flip-up irons. "Temple, right eye, left eye"... I'd recommend Rock River to anyone. Only other AR I'd buy would be an ArmaLite.
Old September 4, 2002, 09:49 PM   #9
2minkey

i've heard that armalite uses wilson barrels too. they just don;t say so.

RRA is top-notch. i have an RRA lower with the national match trigger, and it is fantastic. the finish on it is superb, and it fits perfectly with my bushy upper, which i opted for because of the chrome lined barrel. i will go all-RRA on my next AR if they ever offer chrome lining and a 5.56 chamber in a 20" barrel, otherwise it will be all RRA except the bushy barrel.
Old September 4, 2002, 10:58 PM   #10
mattd

Ready to buy my AR-15...

I think I've decided on RRA. I toured the website tonight (again) and I'm still not sure what I can buy legally (non-LE). I really like the M4 Entry Tactical carbine, and it says things like 'post-ban'. However, it appears to have no difference from its cohort LE model. The civilian model even had a flash suppressor. What gives? Awesome website BTW if you get a chance to check it out. Can I own a collapsable stock? Can I own a rifle with a flash suppressor? Can I buy one with an A1 'entry' stock? Some of the RRA civilian models appear to have more than the requisite 1 out of 3 of the "no-no" items. Would really appreciate some guidance here...thanks.
Old September 5, 2002, 06:31 AM   #11
JIH

The flash supressor on the RRA post ban M4-barreled models is cosmetic. You really have a 16" barrel. If you examine the supressor, the flash supressor has been pressed up onto the barrel and is non-functional.

You can have the tactical entry stock on a post ban. It's just a ridiculously short stock. The OAL with the entry stock won't take it below the "evil" mark.

You can have a collapsible stock on a post ban as long as it's been permanently fixed (taking away all the perks except cosmetics).
Old September 5, 2002, 02:32 PM   #12
johnwill

The AR15.COM LEGP, don't leave home without it! I'm very pleased with this rifle, and the fit & finish is top rate. It's also been 100% reliable so far, hasn't had a single malfunction. Well, I did have a couple when I tried a known bad magazine, but I can't really blame the gun. That mag is still at the range in the closest trash can. This was the best $660 (including delivery) that I've spent in a while.