The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 30, 2002, 09:46 AM   #1
gburner

How to tell

On my rounds the other day I found an Ithaca Featherweight 12 ga. pump shotty. The owner stated that he suspected that it was Viet Nam era...possibly a Navy purchase. How does one tell if this is the case.
Old August 30, 2002, 10:12 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

If it was a gov't purchase, it will be marked with at least a "flaming bomb" ordnance mark.

Other markings I just don't know about.

As far as I know, most of the Ithacas went to either the Army or Marine Corps, but the Navy may have also purchased some.

Recoil out of an Ithaca, when shooting gov't equiv. buckshot loads is.... pretty grim.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 30, 2002, 01:07 PM   #3
BonesofGa.

If I'm not mistaken, Ithaca ser. #'s for the military range from 51499 to 464934.
Old August 30, 2002, 05:23 PM   #4
James K
Staff

The Ithaca contract serial numbers have an S in front and are upside down. Serials run S1000 to S23500, and receiver and barrel have a "P" proof mark. Off hand, I don't recall any Flaming bomb, but they are marked "U.S." on the receiver and barrel.

There were two kinds, with and without a metal handguard and bayonet attachment. There were also some made up without the handguard but in the same 20", Parkerized, configuration and sold on the civilian market, in the regular Model 37 serial range. I have seen reports that some U.S. marked guns were sold as surplus, but I have not confirmed the latter.

Some people call the one without the handguard the "riot gun" model and the one with the "Trench gun". Both are salty if in new condition or close to it. The Blue Book, to which I am indebted for some of the above, says $1500+ for 98% on the Riot gun, $1000 more on the Trench gun.

Jim
Old August 31, 2002, 07:43 AM   #5
BonesofGa.

gburner, I would suggest www.armscollectors.com, maybe you'll get lucky and have a match.