The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 8, 1999, 08:18 AM   #1
Rich I

Hi group. I've toyed with the idea of getting a lever action rifle in recent days. I had my mind set on a .357 magnum Winchester or Marlin. However, I'd prefer to stay with a caliber I'm already using, if possible. If there is a .45 ACP lever action, then please enlighten me.
I suppose I'll consider a Marlin 45 Camp Carbine but it's not really what I'm looking for.

TIA,
Rich
Old October 8, 1999, 08:46 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

No 45 ACP factory lever guns as far as I am aware of. Several 45 LC guns though. I suppose you could have a 'smith build one. You might ask in the Smithy forum if it would be economically feasible.
I know that doesn't help you out much though. You will have to go with an autoloader to maintain a common caliber combination.
Old October 8, 1999, 11:04 AM   #3
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

hmmmmmm since the 45 acp is a "rimless" case I wonder if its possible to work in a tubular magazine?? (would be a neat companion piece to my colt 1917 army model.)

The advantage to the marlin is it uses the same magazines as a 1911 auto.

I'd go with a 357 or 44 lever action personally.. you get a LOT more bang for your buck.

Dr.Rob

Old October 8, 1999, 03:01 PM   #4
James K
Staff

In a tube mag, the .45 ACP bullet points should be just about right to ding into a primer. Lots of fun. Faggetit!

Jim
Old October 11, 1999, 11:49 AM   #5
Long Path

HP rounds would, of course, stop the "problem" of the tips-to-primers. .35 Remington is, I believe, a rimless fave among lever-actions.

You might ask Harley about this one. I don't think anyone made a lever .45 acp. But then, anything the .45 acp can do, the .45 LC can do better!

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Old October 15, 1999, 10:31 AM   #6
Rocky Road
Retired Screen Name

Sometime in late 1970's I was at the Fort Worth Gun Show and ran across a nice Winchester 1892 carbine, in about 75 per cent condition, metal and wood. It was right for a carbine, too, not a cut down rifle. It had been converted and marked, I think, .45 AUTO, with hand stamps. There was also some abbreviation which led me to believe it was police surplus from Latin America. (PMdSCdC--Policia Municipal de San Carlos de Campos--something like that.) Barrel was only slightly over 16 inches, and it was slightly longer than the magazine tube. I figured this was some import compromise.

Examination showed some pretty clever cartridge stop installation, and I even went a few rows over and purchased several dummy .45 rounds. They functioned flawlessly, and the lockup was really tight. I decided to take a chance, as the price was pretty right.
On the way home that late afternoon, I didn't have time for proper test firing, but just wanted to know it worked. (South Denton County was very sparsely populated then, and I knew a couple of blind turn outs from IH-35W.) Loaded up about 10 or 12 mixed ball and handloads and let fly into the bar ditch. I noticed that the recoil was substantial, even for short barrel and all.

What with work and travel and all, it was two weeks later that I had a chance to work it out on the range. In the mean time, I'd really taken a liking for the little carabina.

Accuracy was attrocious! Couldn'‘t believe it. Due to light conditions, I could actually see some of my bullets in flight, and these were extremely erratic. I couldn't reliably hit the backstop at 50 yards, much less 100. I managed to catch and save several bullets. Was it my imagination or did the FMJ 230 RN look as if the lead core was freshly poured into the jacket? Several days later, a nasty suspicion was beginning to form. I took the bullets over to S. Camp's place where he had esoteric gear, such as a dial caliper. (I've since acquired my own.)

Anybody care to guess? Honor bright, guys, how many of you have already figured it out?

Well, of course, the fired bullets all measured .427 to .429. Someone had done a heckuva lot of work in making a nice conversion of a .44-40 carbine, but neither rebored nor rebarrelled. Good, tight, rechambering job, though.

I ended up getting rid of the gun to a restorer who needed the components, and only lost about 50 bucks on the deal.

Best regards to all.

RR

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

[This message has been edited by Rocky Road (edited October 15, 1999).]
Old March 22, 2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Brass Monkey

Is there a lever action 45 ACP

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/...r-p-24164.html

I wonder about the tubular magazine and the round nose 45 acp but .... Rossi list a Mod 92 Lever action, 24" Bbl 12 + 1 shot 45 ACP. See link above.

It would sure be fun to shoot. The low recoil migh negate the potential for the round nose to primer problem.

Brass Monkey
Old March 22, 2010, 01:11 PM   #8
BlueTrain

Ages ago you would sometimes see interesting articles in gun magazines about either caliber conversions or rifle/handgun combinations and I'm sure that someone converted a lever action to .45 ACP. Frankly I suspect that a lot of those conversions were done for the novelty of the result but they're still interesting. But also, at the time, around the late 1950s, people were more willing to put a lot of effort into doing things like that, rather than buying something new. There also was nowhere near the variety of guns available then compared to today. Of course, there's a lot that isn't available, too. And just like now, just because it was in some catalog didn't mean you could find it in a store.

That was also something of a golden era of sporterizing, though I'd say sporterizing took off during the interwar period when inexpensive surplus rifles became available.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 22, 2010, 06:23 PM   #9
Jim Watson

Ed Harris had a Marlin converted about 25 years ago.
Rebore .44 barrel to .45; alter carrier for short round, install rimless extractor.
It did ok but he would not shoot hardball in it, even single shot for chronograph data.
Old March 22, 2010, 07:50 PM   #10
Slopemeno

Back in the early days of CAS shooting there was one lever action (no idea which brand) in SoCal that was converted to .45 ACP, the idea being you could fit a fairly high number of rounds in the magazine. I'd probably pass on shooting FMJ's in one, but H&H 68's no problema.
Old March 22, 2010, 09:22 PM   #11
gak

QUOTE:
http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/...r-p-24164.htmlI wonder about the tubular magazine and the round nose 45 acp but .... Rossi list a Mod 92 Lever action, 24" Bbl 12 + 1 shot 45 ACP. See link above.It would sure be fun to shoot. The low recoil migh negate the potential for the round nose to primer problem.
Brass Monkey
-------
Before people get going on this, the "Automatic Colt Pistol" or ACP part in the linked site is a misprint. .45 Colt (aka Long Colt or LC) is the correct spec.
Old March 22, 2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Kmar40

I'd bet at least one part of my anatomy, but not both, that is a typo. I'm sure they meant to say 45 Colt, nor 45 ACP.

Not sure why one would try to make a rimless .45 ACP work in a lever action when there are already several superior options already available (.357, 44 mag, 45 Colt, .454, and others).
Old March 23, 2010, 07:26 AM   #13
Jim Watson

There are gunsmiths altering lever action rifles for the .45 Cowboy Special, which is a cartridge the length of a .45 ACP with the rim of a .45 Colt.
Note: This is NOT a .45 Auto Rim or a .45 Schofield.

A determined tinkerer could probably take it one step farther with a rimless extractor.
Old March 23, 2010, 08:30 AM   #14
ISC

I've got a VZ 24 Mauser that was rebarrelled to .45 ACP and adapted to use 1911 magazines. It shoots great and is one I'll probably never get rid of. When I come back from overseas I think I'll spend some of my dfeployment money to get it equipped with a suppressor.
Old March 23, 2010, 02:46 PM   #15
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I've read about a guy that had his Marlin 1894 45 colt set back for the 45 ACP and he uses LFN bullets in it. Holds 13 rounds in the tube. Any good gunsmith who does re-barreling could probably do it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 23, 2010, 04:59 PM   #16
BlueTrain

A little searching through my reference library turned up an article from the July, 1960, Guns & Ammo magazine about one caliber rifles and pistols by some guy named Frank C. Barnes. Unfortunately for my memory, all his references to long guns for the .45 ACP were for single shots. He thought the .45 Colt was a better choice. About all the lever actions mentioned were Winchester Model 92s but I doubt you could find one that you would be willing to convert nowadays. He also mentioned a new cartridge that might be good for hunting called the .454 Magnum. Yes, it just turned 50.
Buy War Bonds.