The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2002, 10:51 PM   #1
Adventurer_96

.308 168gr in FAL/L1A1

I'm going to be loading some .308 shells with 748 powder (since I have a ton of this stuff laying around) and 168gr Hornady bullets. One load book I've seen called for magnum primers, but as I was pressed for time in the shop I picked up some CCI magnum large rifle primers as well as some Federal large rifle primers, non magnum. I'm looking to get a load that is fairly accurate in my L1A1 for rifle matches.

What's the speed I should be looking for with this bullet? Does anyone else load for their FAL variant?

This is going to be my first rifle handloading experience so I figured I'd make use of the components I have at hand for the moment, but later I'll switch if it's required. I'm expecting once I get my .308 bolt rifle that I'll switch powders and/or primers if required, but I'm planning on using the same bullet.
Old August 18, 2002, 11:51 PM   #2
HSMITH

Get the military primers from CCI or expect a slam-fire. It may not happen tomorrow or the next day, but it WILL happen eventually. You NEED the hard primers for the FAL.

I have not loaded 748 for my FAL. The 168 matchkings do shoot well out of mine though. Look for about 2550-2600 with the 168, Good enough for 600 yards easily and not pushing anything.
Old August 19, 2002, 08:47 PM   #3
Adventurer_96

So, the CCI magnum large rifle primers aren't what I'm looking for? I'll have to take a look at my local shop to see what they have on the shelf. Thanks.