The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2002, 10:16 AM   #1
gburner

New old shotty

I have come into possesion of a Harrington and Richardson 12 ga. single shot, model Topper 88. It appears to have been used as a 'truck gun' as it is a bit of a beater. The bore looks unfired, though. There is some fairly deep surface rust on the top of the barrel near the breech, as well as on the frame top between the breech closure and trigger. How do I get rid of this rust? Can I fire 2 3/4 in. shells in a 3 in. gun? Thanks.
Old August 13, 2002, 01:02 PM   #2
Bud1

Surface rust can be removed with 0000 steel wool, or naval jelly (if you can find it). You might want to touch it up with cold blue afterwards.

Yes, you can shoot 2 3/4" shells in a 3" chambered gun. One word of caution, though, those H&R and NEA singleshots sometimes wear a bit, and the action does not always remain securely closed. If in doubt, you may want to have a gunsmith check it out.

Good luck,

Bud
Old August 16, 2002, 10:37 AM   #3
KevinK

My first shotgun was a H & R "Topper Jr." 20ga. Used it for ducks and rabbits and squirrels. The first time I shot it, it darned near knocked me down (I was 8). I still have it in the cabinet, but it hasn't been shot in over 30 yrs. I still remember going to the gun shop with my Dad the Friday evening we bought it.
Old August 16, 2002, 11:20 AM   #4
CZ Gunner

gburner,

I got a used one long time ago (like new metal, aweful wood) and refinished / reshapped the furniture on it. Stained it a blondish color ... people love it and have offered me way more than it's worth. I keep it because my boys, who are very little, had a lot of fun helping me strip and refinish it. It will be there's one day.

Bottom-line: They make good "project guns" ... because they aren't worth that much .. in case you mess it up.

Put what I learned refinishing it into refinishing my Romanian AK-47. Another fine job ... strawberry blonde.

Good luck with it!

Gunner

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -- Vegitius, c. 375 AD