The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 7, 2002, 07:31 PM   #1
Redlg155

U.S. Postal M.O. Does it really protect you?

Internet buying was something relatively new to me. Now I'd venture to say that a good 50-75 percent of all my purchases for weapons and parts are via Internet. I'm almost positive that many more buyers just like me are out there are using the intenet to conduct transactions that were formerly limited to local shops and catalog sales.

With this comes a new concern...Internet Fraud. If you asked around folks will almost always recommend that you use a U.S. Postal Money Order. Many purchasers as well as sellers insist on it as a hedge against potential fraud. Will using a U.S. Postal M.O. really protect you?

U.S. Postal Service Mail Fraud Compalint Page

Above is the U.S. Postal Service Mail Fraud page. In it it makes statements such as...

Quote:
Although the Inspection Service cannot resolve routine business disputes between companies and their customers, it can act against a company or individual if there is a pattern of activity suggesting a potential scheme to defraud.

Pattern of activity suggesting a potential scheme?? What about a single transaction where you were a victim of fraud?

Quote:
If this is an urgent matter, immediately contact your nearest law enforcement agency.

That even makes me feel better! I suppose there is no sense of urgency with the U.S. Postal Service.

All this makes me think. Do U.S. Postal Money Orders really protect you? Will the U.S. Postal Service bring out their attorneys and investigators to persue your missing money?

Yes, I do know of a case not long ago where a guy was arrested for internet fraud. I believe he ripped off several members over a Glock Talk. I do believe that in that case there was a pattern of activity. But that was one isolated case.

Soo..Do they protect you? Fact or Fiction?

Good SHooting
RED
Old August 7, 2002, 07:58 PM   #2
Destructo6

I don't know about individual transactions going bad, but the FBI is interested in folks who have done it several times.

Between January and April of this year, a guy going by the name of "Dan Lopez" was ripping people off from ads placed in the various HK oriented boards. After filing complaints with the FBI's Internet fraud division, he has apparently been arrested.

How many types of fraud do you count and what are the penalties? My rather uneducated read is something along the lines of wire fraud and mail fraud at a minimum for each transaction.

Keep all of them clean.
Old August 7, 2002, 08:21 PM   #3
AR-10

This is more here-say than experience.

From what I have read on the net, if someone wants to cash your M.O. and keep his product, you're out of luck. If he makes a living doing that to people, he will be nailed eventually, but will you get your money back? Probably not.

That said, I've made quite a few transactions like you describe with no bad experiences. I have never been brave enough to make a large purchase. Can't quite bring myself to send a complete stranger a grand for a firearm, no matter how bad I want it. Did buy a very nice Colt King Cobra on the net with a credit card, but that is a little different.

I have been wrestling with the idea of sending a guy $500.00 for a scope via M.O., but his credentials are pretty good. Still, I will probably putter around till he sells it to someone else.