The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 4, 2002, 09:51 AM   #1
Khornet

The BluesMan does it again!

Check him out at
http://www.americasvoices.org/archiv...rDJ_080302.htm

A strong voice for our rights!
Old August 4, 2002, 05:01 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Nicely done.
Old August 4, 2002, 05:49 PM   #4
Miss Demeanors

Nice job
Old August 4, 2002, 05:55 PM   #5
Blackhawk

Old August 4, 2002, 05:58 PM   #6
BPNovum

Thank you for the reminder

I was touched to read the Pieces of Brass. You see, on Christmas Eve 2000 my father passed away. He was a career Air Force officer and retired as a Lt. Col. At his memorial service the Honor Guard from Lackland AFB provided full military honors including the folding and presentation of his flag, the playing of taps and the 21 gun salute.

Being an Air Force vet myself, I had attended military funerals and memorials in the past. I have always found them to be gut renching but very healing. This one was even more so.

Afterwards, one of my relative (Active Duty AF) came up to me and presented me with some of the brass shell casings (.223 in this case). My stomach tied up in a big knot, my heart jumped into my throat and tears filled my eyes. Today those "Pieces of Brass" are among my most prized possessions. They are a reminder, along with the folded flag, of what a great man my father was and to the service he gave this country and him teaching me to do the same.

Thank you for the reminder. I can't think of it often enough.

Bob Price
Blue Wonder Gun Care Products
www.BlueWonder.us
bprice@novumsolutions.com
Old August 4, 2002, 07:00 PM   #7
falconer

Dave,

It is a rare occurance that something makes me cry. Your words during the eulogy were one of those rare things as well as your words in the article.

tom
Old August 4, 2002, 07:46 PM   #8
Sisco

Beautiful piece.
My father and father-in-law passed away within weeks of each other earlier this year. At each funeral I picked up the spent brass and made sure each child & grandchild got one.
A couple of weeks ago my son, now 15, re-arranged and cleaned out his room in an effort to rid himself of all the stuff he had outgrown. I was proud to see that two pieces of 30.06 brass were still sitting on his nightstand.
Old August 5, 2002, 11:27 AM   #9
foghornl

WOW ! !

My long deceased father was a WW2 Army guy, serving in the Pacific Theatre. Some in the Admiralty (?) Island, but most later in the Fiji Islands. We didn't have the 'military' funeral, but i still have the folded flag, in a Walnut display case, with his name on a brass plate on the glass. This flag has a permanent spot on top of my gun cabinet, as a reminder for my dad, and all the other vets and current memebers of the Armed Forces. My older brothers have his records, honors, and silver star.

Every Memorial Day and 4th of July, I take my 1955 vintage IH made M-1 out and fire my own 21-gun salute. For my dad, my father-in-law also deceased (WW2 Air Force Ground Crew, European Theatre). And for the others of that campaign that came home, and those that gave all.

And to honor those of the later campaigns that came home, came home lesser than when they left, and those that gave all in defense of Lady Liberty. Also, to honor those now in service. May God guide and speed them along their way, as they safeguard freedom for us all.
Old August 5, 2002, 01:17 PM   #10
Correia

TheBluesman has a gift for writing. Thank you.
Old August 5, 2002, 03:12 PM   #11
bestdefense357

Hey Dave,

That's one great article. Keep up the good work. Your contributions to freedom are extraordinary.

Robert
http://www.robertwaters.net
Old August 6, 2002, 09:28 PM   #12
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks...

I am humbled by your words; and my words are humbled by the actions of many a fallen hero.

Thank you all for sharing your stories as well. Thanks especially to Falconer for giving me the pieces of brass that I will always cherish.

-Dave