The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 1, 2002, 11:44 PM   #1
Blast

Dram wts.

I'm somewhat familiar with charge dram weights, but what is MAX? Would that be 5? The largest number I've seen is 4.5 dram on 12ga. shells.
Old August 2, 2002, 02:20 AM   #2
Navy joe

I dunno, my favorite slugs say max and I didn't know so I shot some. I believe "max" is shorthand for will hurt you.
Old August 2, 2002, 05:04 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The dram equivalent system is a dinosaur that's far outlived its use. Much better would be a FPS marking.

"Max" is the maker's way of saying something like, "We've crammed as much powder in these we can, they will kick like Bruce Lee.We're not telling you how much because some idiot will try to copy us and hurt somebody, and we don't like being sued"....
Old August 2, 2002, 09:39 AM   #4
BigG

The dram system was based on the number of drams (apothecary scale) of black powder used to propel a given shot charge to a given velocity.

When smokeless came out, the early type was bulk which was substituted one-for-one volume with the BP, no problemo. when they got a little more sophisticated and came out with double base (I think) powder, much less was needed to get the required velocity. That's where they had to come up with the dram equiv rating as everybody in those days was familiar with the dram scale.

Today, that is so far in the past that MAX is as good as any way to describe a load. I've also seen shotshells marked with velocity ratings rather than dram equivalents, IIRC.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old August 2, 2002, 10:11 AM   #5
Jim Watson

I think "Max" on a shotshell label means "You could not get this high velocity with this much shot with any amount of black powder." So there is no Dram Equivalent for those heavy loads.
Old August 2, 2002, 11:40 AM   #6
ocabj

i've shot all kinds of 00 buck that say max dram equiv, and none of it really kicks at all. i'm going to have to try some 3" turkey loads to see what everyone's talking about...

is there some way to measure "kick" or recoil of shotgun ammo? it would be interesting to see the numbers.
Old August 2, 2002, 02:23 PM   #7
mikey357

Big G pretty much nailed it as far as the relationship of "Drams Equivalent" to Smokeless powders...the "Mostest" D/E I've ever seen stated was on a 2&3/4 in. short-Magnum 12 Ga.--4 Drams equiv.!!! With 1 & 1/2 oz. of shot, THOSE were KICKERS in the ol' 870 for SURE, good buddy!!!....mikey357
Old August 2, 2002, 04:05 PM   #8
stinger

...oh sorry, I thought this post was calling for Dim Wits so I posted. My mistake.

Stinger