The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 28, 2002, 04:06 PM   #1
Jeff White

Help me select a new knife...

Well today I finally lost an old, trusted companion. I have lost my Benchmade CQC-7 that I've carried for more then 5 years. The little hex screws that hold the pocket clip on had worked loos before. Benchmade was good enough to send me some replacement screws, that I lock-tited in. Well these worked loose and I've lost the knife while out helping a friend cut down a tree and clear the brush. Looked all over the place, it's gone..

So, what should I replce it with? Is the CQC-7 by Emerson any better? Anyone have any recommendations?

Jeff
Old July 28, 2002, 04:36 PM   #2
AK103K

I have a Spyderco "Wegner" model. Its one of their signature models. It replaced my CQC7. I have the dual edge model. Its a well made and more useful as an all around working knife. It can easily fill in as a combat fighter though and is actually easier to open quickly. The CQC7 is limited as a working knife by its edge, at least for me. Overall size and length are about the same. The serations on the Spyderco are a lot more aggressive though. It has the same liner lock as the CQC7. Great knife.
Old July 28, 2002, 07:58 PM   #3
switch625

an emerson cqc won't be as finished as your benchmade was but it's supposed to be tactical and a worker not pretty like the bm's. that's what emerson says anyway.

look on the bright side, it's an excuse to get a new knife! look around and see what you like. myself, i'm partial to the bm axis locks and emerson commanders and mach 1's. love that green g-10, only company that offers it as far as i know.

the commander is cool with the wave and the recurve blade. it was slightly re-designed for 2002.
Old July 29, 2002, 06:35 AM   #4
Kentucky Rifle

I'm pretty sure Oleg Volk and Ken Lunde will agree with me here.....

As a matter of fact, it was Ken who put me on to these a couple of years ago over on Glock Talk. It's not a "visually" handsome knife, but it works better than anything I've EVER tried before. It's a Chris Reeve "Sebenza". My Sebenza is absolutely the only folder I've ever owned that feels like a one-piece when it's in the open psition. When I lock open the Sebenza, there is not the tiniest bit of blade "wiggle". None. Worth the price in every way. Titanium "slab" scales and a blade made of BG-42 stainless steel that holds a razor edge for what seems like forever.

KR
Old July 29, 2002, 11:07 AM   #5
jimsbowies

buy several

Don't get attached to just one manufacturer
Old July 29, 2002, 07:52 PM   #6
Drjones

www.bladeforums.com
Old July 29, 2002, 10:17 PM   #7
Jeff White

Thanks for the ideas. Bladeforums is a great place. I just ordered a CQC-8 from the One STop Knife Shop there. Wish I could have bought it by itself and not in the set, but I can always use another SureFire

I guess it's supposed to be some collectable thing with macthing serial numbers, but I intend on using it.

Jeff
Old July 30, 2002, 01:31 PM   #8
Steel

http://www.mastersofdefense.com/

http://www.crkt.com/catalog.html

http://www.coldsteel.com/index-b.html

When a man assumes a public trust, he should consider himself as public property." Thomas Jefferson

“If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.” Isaac Newton

“Youth is a blunder; Manhood a struggle; Old Age a regret.” Benjamin Disraeli
Old July 30, 2002, 02:22 PM   #9
Bruce626

Take a look at the Al Mar SERE

I've been very happy with my Al Mar SERE. There are several good reviews/discussions about it on blade forum. I've never tried to insert a link before, but if this works, the link should take you to one of those discussions.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...light=mar+sere
Old July 31, 2002, 10:25 AM   #10
Coronach

Check out FadingBreed's Talonite Camillus CUDA FS now on TFL. I'm almost wishing I needed another knife...

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein