The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 25, 2002, 05:06 AM   #1
Wile E.

Remington 597 - ejector upgrade, when?

OK, here's the question for the ever growing legion of 597 fans out there.....

I'm looking at buying a Remington 597. I understand Remington changed the design of the ejector at some point to fix the jamming problem some of the eariler rifles experienced. Anybody know about when Remington made this change? My local shop had a 597 that's been in their inventory for a few month or more. What's the likelyhood that this gun will have the FTE problem?

Also, when did Remington change the magazine to the metal type? I think the ejector upgrade happened about the same time so if any of you with metal mag 597 can tell me about when you bought your 597 with metal mag, that would help. I think if the change took place last year, then this one should be safe.... I think.
Old July 25, 2002, 11:22 PM   #2
BusGunner007

I was going to suggest going to RimfireCentral to get answers, Wyle E., but you've already been there!

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/for...php?forumid=21

Looks like they changed the Forum to all Remington rimfires, rather than just the 597.
I've still got to assemble the new parts on mine; paint the stock and take pictures, besides testing to see if it is now a real firearm as opposed to a jam prone unit.

Good Luck!
Old July 26, 2002, 03:58 AM   #3
Wile E.

Yup, got the answer I was looking for atRimfire Central forum. Wealth of info there. Very friendly active bunch that live and breath rimfire. A little bit skewed towards 10/22 but still, the best place to go to discuss rimfire IMHO.