The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 9, 2002, 06:48 AM   #1
mountainman454

Back-up weapons!!

My department doesn't allow the carry of any back-up gun. I was wondering how many of you other LEO were authorized to carry one and if so, what is it.
Old July 9, 2002, 06:55 AM   #2
KSFreeman

Hi, MountainMan, how are things in Montana?

In my LEO daze, you could carry anything that you qualified with. The only exception being no 1911s. I carried a M638 following my peers who beleived that the backup would be used in retention at muzzle contact. A revolver was preferred as a self-loader may go out of battery upon being push into an assailant's torso.
Old July 9, 2002, 09:56 AM   #3
Mikey

We can carry almost anything we can qualify with. The main duty weapon is issued but the backup(s) are at the descretion of the officer, within reason (must be approved by Captain).

I wonder why any department would NOT allow a backup. Can you shed some light?

Mike
Old July 9, 2002, 10:33 AM   #4
yorec

Allowed whatever we can qualify with here - so long as it meets the department armorer's aproval as a quality weapon and is larger than a .380.

I carry a Taurus 605 - 5 shots of 357 mag is good stuff for backup. Alternately I also carry an Astra A-75 in 40 S&W, a heavy, but potent package.

My site - stop by n see what I'm all about... Yes, there is gun stuff.
Old July 9, 2002, 12:33 PM   #5
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Over the years I have carried a number of different guns;
as secondary pieces, but none were ever approved.
The two that standout the most were a tiny Bauer .25 cal
auto, and a GERMAN Walther PPK/S .380 ACP. By far and
away, the Walther served the purpose well.

In the ole' days, most LEO's favored a serviceable
"throw down" weapon; even more so than a quality
back-up piece.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old July 9, 2002, 08:30 PM   #6
mountainman454

It is unknown why we aren't allowed to carry a back-up. Our chief says we will carry only what is issued to us by the dept.
Our duty weapon is a S&W 4006. Although not my prefered choice, I'm comfortable with it. I and the rest of the line officers feel kind of "naked" without a back-up, but that is the policy and no one wants to go against it.
Old July 9, 2002, 10:59 PM   #7
Coronach

I am always astounded when PDs don't allow backups, but I know that many don't. If they're worried about the backup becoming a 'throwdown,' all you have to do is record the serial numbers of approved backups. When yours ends up in a suspect's cold, dead hand, you have issues.

Mine is a j-frame .357, hammerless.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old July 9, 2002, 11:14 PM   #8
fastbolt

Some of our folks carried without official approval for many years. In recent years there was growing legal concern this would create problems for everybody.

Now if you desire to carry a secondary, it must be approved by a division captain (nobody's been refused to my knowledge), and the weapon must fall within the same guidelines as off duty weapons ... which means .32 ACP or larger, a "modern" weapon which can pass an armorer's inspection, and function with approved major factory JHP ammunition. Qualification is to occur at the same time as with the issued weapon, the intended method of carry must be used to demonstrate proficiency, and the primary weapon must be carried with the secondary ( to prevent the secondary from being turned into a primary, although nothing says you have to reach for the primary first).

It's been surprising how few people desire to carry a secondary badly enough to satisfy these requirements, though ...

Last edited by fastbolt; July 10, 2002 at 10:54 PM.