The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 12, 1999, 07:39 PM   #1
longhair

from what i've read on here, most say that the mini-14 lacks in the accuracy department.
question: are there any fixes for this. can you make a mini-14 as accurate as say...AR-15.

------------------
fiat justitia

longhaircsa@netscape.net

Old March 12, 1999, 09:22 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

While an Mini14 can be accurized (match barrel with match chambering and handloaded ammo), it isn't cost effective when compared to a match quality AR.

Not to rub a longtime member like yourself the wrong way Longhair, but a search on the Mini14 will produce a lot of old posts which discusses the Mini14 in greater detail.
Old March 13, 1999, 04:03 PM   #3
longhair

caught me on a bad day 4V50Gary. that ol' lazy bug was on me yesterday. what can i say?

------------------
fiat justitia

longhaircsa@netscape.net

Old March 13, 1999, 07:08 PM   #4
Gino

Now boys, play nice...............

Hey, let's just say it out loud once. The mini 14 is basically an american made AK47 (very reliable but not super acurate) in 223. Just what is wrong with that? I LIKE my mini 14!
Old March 16, 1999, 10:00 PM   #5
Bushwhacker

Match barrel, where can I find out more?
I like mine also, 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yds with a 3x9 on it.

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

Old March 17, 1999, 10:23 PM   #6
Unkel Gilbey

As a High Power Match shooter for the USMC, I've had the opportunity to play with quite a few M14's. The first ones I fired were basically stock weapons which had been LTI'ed, and had their triggers smoothed up a bit. Later on, these rifles had their actions glass bedded, and the stocks were relieved in places where they contacted the bbl. Messing with the sights was next, ad infinitum. But the rifles shot just a tad under 2 minutes in stock form, which was good enough for this shooter at that stage of the game. Now as I see it, and understand that I've yet to tear down a mini-14, but the actions look DAMN similar. This leads me to beleive that what worked for accurizing the older and bigger brother would work for the mini. I will stand corrected as soon as a 'smith comes up to me and SHOWS me different.
Also, I take offense to the remark that one of you made calling the Mini-14 an American version of the AK-47. If any comparison's are to be made, let it echo the one that I said about how the Mini-14 is the Younger brother to the M14!
At any rate Longhair, hope this is helpful, and talk to the local gun mangler to see how much he charges to glass bed the action.
Old March 30, 1999, 04:11 PM   #7
FTG-05

You can glass bed a Mini-14 yourself, if you follow the directions from the NRA Gunsmithing guide (which uses the Garand or M-14/M1A!). I glass bedded my Mini-30, same design, but slightly larger than a Mini-14. It made a world of difference (the Mini udes to disassemble itself prior to glass bedding!!), but it came no where near the possible accuracy of an AR-15, in my opinion.

Also, keep in mind that you can buy one AR-15 lower and put several different types of uppers for different uses (i.e. varmint, carbine, service rifle, etc.). What other rifle can do that???

Regards,

Albin
Old April 5, 1999, 08:40 AM   #8
Tommygun

Accurate Rifle Systems
810 N. Dixie Blvd. Ste. 107
Odessa, Texas 79761
(915) 362-6840

Brochure costs $2

These folks offer barrels, trigger jobs, sights, and stocks for mini-14's.
Barrels come in different lengths and calibers including 17 Rem, 17/223, 221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 6mm/223, 6mm/TCU.
They also do mini-30's.
Varmint Masters magazine ran a test on one of these and reported a 3 1/4" group at 200 yards with 55 grain Black Hills ammo in a 10 mph swirling crosswind. Not too shabby.
A 22 inch Lothar Walther olympic bull barrel, 1 in 9 twist, trigger job and Millett sights is running me $640.00 with a 10 week turnaround.
I am more than satisfied with my Bushmaster DCM, but the strange looks I got at the range when I mentioned a sub-MOA mini-14 prompted me to send in my rifle.

Tom

Old April 6, 1999, 01:00 PM   #9
buzz riley

I recall some monthly ads in Shotgun News a couple years back. Someone would work over mini-14's and "guarantee 1 moa groups". I don't remember any other details, maybe some other TFL member can help.

------------------
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9
Old April 6, 1999, 08:31 PM   #10
Bushwhacker

I have heard someone say that "Brownells" sells a haevy barrel for the mini-14, still havn't answered my e-mail.
Old April 6, 1999, 09:05 PM   #11
Shutoku Shia

Tom/Tommygun, will you let us know what kind of accuracy improvements you got when you get your Mini-14 back from Accurate Rifle Systems (ARS)? Also, other pertinent details in regards to cost, turnaround time, and what changes they did to your Mini-14?

I've read about ARS in now defunct Performance Shooter and I have always wondered about them.

Good shooting!

Shutoku
Old April 6, 1999, 10:20 PM   #12
Daniel Watters

Bushwacker, Brownells offers two different brands of Mini-14 barrels. The Shilen carbon steel barrels are available in .223 Remington (1 in 9") and 7.62x39mm (1 in 10"). The Shilen barrels run just under $200 retail, and require only the drilling of the gas port.

The OKM barrels are offered in both carbon and stainless steel. They are pre-threaded, but they are short-chambered and also require the fitting of the gas block, drilling of the gas port, and machining of the extractor cut. The OKM barrels come in .223 Rem (1 in 7" and 1 in 12") and 6mm PPC (1 in 14"). The carbon steel barrels run ~$404 retail, while the stainless barrels run $514.
Old June 28, 2008, 02:45 PM   #13
byfixit

Mini 14 Accurizing

Was ready to trade my new mini 14 due to 5-8" groups at 100 yd, & chasing brass for 40'. Made a new port bushing with a .042" hole. Brass now at 8' with some eject trouble with 55gr light loads, but I've switched to 69 gr hpbt with 24 gr IMR 4895, & welded a flash hider to the sight body to reduce vibrations.
I'm no expert & my scope is only a Simmons, but now regularly get 1.25" groups at 100 yd. Don't know if I'll go for the bedding or barrel cut. Comments?
Old June 28, 2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Logs

I have had an Mini 14 and Mini 30 in the past and both had crappy accuracy. When I say crappy, I mean barely hitting a paper plate 10 out of ten times at 100 yards. I had sold both of them years ago.

About three years ago I picked up another mini 14 and it is a tack driver. Five shots at 100 yards and you can cover it with a half dollar. Not sure why one gun would suck and one gun is great, but I wouldn't sell mine current mini 14. I have hunted prairie dogs with this current gun and had no problem hitting targets past 300 yards.

I got to handle the new Mini 14's at the NRA show in KY a while back and I would love to try one out.
Old June 30, 2008, 12:53 AM   #15
ISC

minis aren't even close to the reliablity of an AK or SKS. The three I had weren't even as reliable as my ARs. They about as accurate as an SKS or AK.

They sure do look nice though. If I was going to enter a weapon into a beauty contest or make a movie or TV show where malfunctions could be edited out and only blanks were being fired so misses didn't matter, I'd want a mini 14.
Old July 1, 2008, 09:49 PM   #16
Dezynco

I don't understand why the Ruger Mini's are so different from one gun to the next?

I have an older Mini30 that I love. It will not shoot most of the imported ammo worth a hoot. 6" at 100 yards is pretty good with Brown Bear, Wolf, etc. But when I load a few with .308 dia Speer 110grain SP's with Reloader 7, look out! I can cover 5 shots with a nickel at 100 yards! It just works well with my rifle, plus the barrel doesn't seem to overheat.

I just think that the little carbines do exactly what they were intended for, hit something besides a sheet of paper at 100 - 200 yards, and be very reliable.

Wish Ruger would put a little heavier barrel on them, not much just a little.
Old July 1, 2008, 11:46 PM   #17
wpcexpert

If you really want to...

You could call up these guys. http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

I've heard some good things. Never met anybody that has used them. I ran accross a post over at the Ruger forum about them.

I skipped all that process though. I got the target model. I've told about how incredibly accurate it is on here before. I've attained really great groups thru reloading and adjusting the harmonic dampener. But out of the box, with very first loads I made up, 1 inch and better.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old July 2, 2008, 07:11 AM   #18
blume357

I've used accuracy systems inc... and would recomend them

here's my take on them and the mini-14....

fix the trigger first... that's simple and doesn't cost that much. I personally think the bedding thing is a waste, even though I had it done....

the barrel is the problem....

either do one of three things...

replace, shorten as much as possible, or possibly do the gas port thing or a combination of two...

finally,..... the 2nd most important item when trying to shoot and accurize a rifle of any kind on .223 is AMMO.... you've got to match the ammo for the rifle and barrel...

Oh and if looking for a mini-14... always pick a Stainless Steel Ranch model.... just my opinion.
Old July 2, 2008, 08:18 AM   #19
Mannlicher

not to promote another board here, but there is a wealth of information on the Perfect Union BBS. They have a whole area dedicated to accurizing your Mini inexpensively.

My 188 series Mini has not had a lot done to it. A Masen muzzle brake is about it. Still, it gives >2 inch groups all day long at 100 yards, and thats with a holo sight.

It always amuses me, to hear folks say that its money well spent (sometimes thousands of dollars) to pimp their AR, but a waste to spend a small amount on a Mini-14.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 2, 2008, 07:23 PM   #20
RPSmith

Two things to consider...

The first thing I'd do is get the trigger worked on www.greatwestgunsmithing does this for a perfectly reasonable fee - $55 if I remember.

I have also had good results with the Accustrut, (available at www.accustrut.com). It stiffens the barrel and dampens the harmonics.

I did not undertake the necessary measurements to reliably quantify the improvements but I'll say that my mini shoots 'much better'. I've never expected much from the platform but now I expect more.

From anecdotal experience, I'd say bedding the action is not as effective as the first two (above) improvements.

Hope this helps, RP.
Old July 2, 2008, 08:05 PM   #21
pbrktrt

RP has hit on the two most important mods you can do. with quality ammo & good optics mini's will shoot very well. the Accu-Strut will cut groups in half or better & gundoc's trigger job is amazing. my mini-30 shoots 1" to 1-1/2" groups with these mods & likes Lapua ammo the best. it looks good & never misses a beat. if interested there are target pics & rifle pics on Accu-Strut.com. it's the all wood mini ss w/Leupold on the crappy wishing well. certain people bash them regularly but they are a very reliable & fun to shoot rifle.
Old July 3, 2008, 05:02 AM   #22
Socrates

!Quit throwing money at a sows ear. Live with it, or sell it.
Old July 3, 2008, 10:07 AM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Since the majority of my own use of Minis was as a truck gun for jackrabbits and coyotes, they all worked perfectly. The first shot from a cold barrel always goes to the same place. "Ruint rabbit."

Any rifle with a skinny barrel and a barrel band around the forend is gonna be problematic for group size. The barrel heats up and expands at a vastly different rate than the wood. The binding from the barrel band changes the harmonics. That turns groups into patterns.
Old July 3, 2008, 11:32 AM   #24
Socrates

Art:

Why are the M1A's tack drivers, the good ones anyway, and the mini's so inaccurate? Why doesn't ruger just put a better barrel on the gun, or design it to be accurate?
Old July 3, 2008, 11:42 AM   #25
thallub

Bought a Mini-14 when they first came out. That gun never fired a three shot group that was less than 4" at 100 yards. IMO: Accurate and Mini-14 should never be used in the same sentence.