The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 15, 2002, 09:24 PM   #1
CP220

Trunk Gun?

Over the last couple of weeks that I've been a member of TFL, I've noticed that there is a lot of talk about what everyone carries concealed or openly.

But my question is, does anyone else keep extra firepower around in their car in case it is really needed?

As a Canadian, there is no chance in hell I would ever be allowed to carry (legally), so I usually have a non-restricted firearm in my vehicle in case it is ever needed.

So to start this off, I have a Mossberg 590 with 14 inch barrel and a pistol grip

So what do you gentlemen and ladies to the south keep around?
Old June 15, 2002, 09:33 PM   #2
Ewok_Guy

I keep a Winchester Defender 8-shot with pistol grips in my trunk at all times. And if that doesn't do the trick I've got a 40mm grenade launcher to back it up..

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old June 15, 2002, 09:40 PM   #3
Brian Williams

I like a S&w mod 65 fixed sights, 4" barrel, small grips. Put it in an old GI tool bag and it goes anywhere, you can put a holster and belt a few boxes of ammo and a couple of
other range items......
Old June 15, 2002, 09:59 PM   #4
MeekAndMild

Quote:
So to start this off, I have a Mossberg 590 with 14 inch barrel and a pistol grip
Where does it say Canadians can legally carry short barreled shotguns?
Old June 15, 2002, 10:04 PM   #5
Blackhawk

Quote:
Where does it say Canadians can legally carry short barreled shotguns?
Cool! So maybe Canadians have a better deal there?
Old June 15, 2002, 10:04 PM   #6
CP220

Ahh, great thing Canadian laws are.

A shotgun with a 14 inch barrel is considered non-restricted, so all I have to do is have it in a case (hard or zip up, it doesn't matter) and I can transport it around in my vehicle without a trigger lock, and without all the added paperwork that is needed for restricted firearms (such as pistols, AR's, etc).

Hope that answers your question.
Old June 15, 2002, 10:45 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

You carry what you can. Good.

Sam
Old June 15, 2002, 11:27 PM   #8
MeekAndMild

OK, ya got a good deal on that one. Coach guns in Canada OK.

I figure the paperwork itself would be about the same here but the US federal tax stamp plus the little matter of not being able to cross state lines without filing more papers would take the fun out of one in the states.

Back on topic I usually keep a 9mm beretta with a (coff, coff, coff) 3.6 inch long barrel and couple of spare mags in a waterproof box in the trunk. We all carry cell phones so we can call in an F-16 air strike if we REALLY need it.
Old June 15, 2002, 11:32 PM   #9
Long Path

For a lot of us with pickups, the "Trunk Gun" is the SKS behind the seat. Cheap, fairly resistant to wear and tear, and cheap.

L.P.
Old June 16, 2002, 11:34 AM   #10
dfaugh

Agree with Long Path...SKS may be ultimate "trunk gun"...small, cheap and reliable...Mine's kinda dressed up, though, and heavy/bulky (SKS-M, AK Mags, Syn Stock and scope) so I also have Hi-point carbine(yeah but it'll make 'em think twice anyway, Black Talons, ya know!), and folding stock/pistol grip Mossberg fulla 3" Magnum 00 buck

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old June 16, 2002, 05:09 PM   #11
Greybeard

Speaking of cheap, reliable and cheap ... .410 Snake Charmer. Add the word "versatile". Rides in trunk right next to other "emergency kit". Carried chamber empty with 4 rounds in stock and 36" case stocked with 6s, buck and rifled slugs. The car's "always gun".
Old June 16, 2002, 08:34 PM   #12
BMWGS80

I went through my accumulation of firearms and did some trading around in the last couple of years. Trunk guns consist of M1A Pre-BAN Paratrooper with scout scope mount and smith Enterprises muzzlebreak.
A Home built Rem870, Ghostring sights,VangComp Bbl., speedfeed pistolgrip butstock, Surefire forend, custom bungee sling.
Coonan .357 Auto customized

Blackhawk Tac vest

Got tired of playing around and went for the Gold.

Cheers,

ts
Old June 16, 2002, 08:45 PM   #13
1911A1 fan

sks

Thats my idea of a good truck gun. cheap, ugly so I dont worry about it getting banged up, and hell bent for reliable. Shot 1000s of rounds through both of mine. And unlike our friends up north I always have my Kimber ultra on my hip. Come on down south CP220!
Old June 16, 2002, 08:46 PM   #14
MarineTech

Let's see,

In addition to the Kimber Compact that I keep on me, there is usually a Marlin 1895G Guide Gun (Some day I WILL save up for the Wild West Guns Copilot conversion) in 45-70 and my Remington 870 12 Gauge. Figure I have pretty much everything covered with those.

- We who are about to die, don't want to. -
Old June 17, 2002, 12:48 AM   #15
CP220

Looks like there is a big variety to what everyone carries around!

I will soon be adding an SKS to my collection (hey, why have one in the trunk when I can have two!) and thank god they are a lot cheaper here than they are to my neighbours to the south (a new Chinese SKS will run about 120, so around 75 American).

And 1911A1 fan, thanks for the invite. I'll be moving in the next couple of years
Old June 17, 2002, 06:12 AM   #16
dZ

i work in Washington, DC
i am barely allowed to carry a tune
Old June 17, 2002, 08:34 AM   #17
Turk

My truck gun is a SKS Para and the car has a standard SKS. Not my favorite rifle or caliber but will met my needs to defend self and family. My first choice would be a Colt SP1 for both but if the truck or car is stolen it would be too costly of a lose.

Turk
Old June 17, 2002, 10:55 AM   #18
Riz

Another SKS

I also keep a SKS in the trunk with the 10round fix mag. Have a bando full of stripper clips also. In a pinch I feel like im good to go. I also keep a extra holster in my trunk for my CCW(sig 229) as it is in my bag most of the time when traveling to and from work.
Riz
Old June 17, 2002, 11:16 AM   #19
Double Naught Spy

As an instructor pointed out to me, few people are ever robbed or assaulted when they are in their trunks and have access to trunk guns.

You go into a grocery store to get some goodies and realize you are in the middle of a robbery and then you recall that you have a really nice gun in the trunk you don't have access to.

One of the biggest proponents for the right to carry guns, Hupp, was in Luby's when the wacko came in and killed so many people. Hupp was having lunch with her parents. Did Hupp have a gun? Sure enough she did. It was right outside in her car where she could not get it. Her parents were both killed. See http://www.ebarricades.com/mlaughlin/hupp.htm

You can carry a lot in your trunk and if you have the time to access it, that is great, but your trunk doesn't go a lot of places with you and you often do not have access to it.

Because of such limitations of trunk carry, that is why concealed carry is such a viable and beneficial option. Your carry gun goes with you when you leave the safety of your trunk or vehicle in general.