The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 16, 2002, 12:38 AM   #51
ronin308

KSFreeman- You caught me! That was me practicing the lost art of ninja on Printer's Row. I thought my new invisiblity trick that Ralph Severe taught me was working....dangit!

KP95DAO- KSFreeman is like GSC kryptonite
Old June 16, 2002, 09:07 AM   #52
ojibweindian

In our house, my wife, Linda, and I both carry. Neither one of us would be so foolish as to play that kind of a joke as it would most likely get one of us shot.

Target recognition is a good thing; I totally agree with that. However, we're also told that action always beats reaction. It very well could be that this guy thought that the "perpetrator" was armed and already had a jump on him. In a scenario where the "bad guy" surprises me, and I believe he had "the jump" on me, I would do exactly what he did, thinking it was the only way to avoid multple perforation of my body.

The simple, tragic lesson to learn here is never scare the hell out of a man with a gun.
Old June 16, 2002, 09:38 AM   #53
KSFreeman

Ronin, well, you kept fading in and out and that's why I thought it was caliban at first.

jason, you have a great point. It IS the media afterall and the final disposition often looks nothing like the initial report.

Grave tragedy that adherence to the 4 rules would have prevented.
Old June 16, 2002, 10:09 AM   #54
Edward429451

Quote:
Because I took a microsecond to evaluate the situation
Thats all it wouldv'e took to avert this tradgedy. My stupid lowlife brother has done similar stuff to me knowing full well I pack a gun, and I haven't shot him yet...

Because I took a microsecond to evaluate the situation.
Old June 16, 2002, 10:25 AM   #55
Blackhawk

There's a quick and permanent cure for that stupidity, even though applying the cure may itself be stupid. Just make sure the backdrop you do fire into (instead of your brother) will safely stop the bullet....
Old June 16, 2002, 11:25 AM   #56
Edward429451

Naaah, thought about that and had two problems with it.
one, It wouldn't teach him a thing and would provide him with a new bar story to embellish and brag about (yes, he's THAT stupid). And two, it'd be at my expense and make ME look bad to reasonable people.

Oh well. Maybe he'll grow up soon. Lets see he's 42 now so in another gazillion years he'll...he'll...Hmmmm...