The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 8, 2002, 10:33 PM   #1
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

What about the Hesse .50 BMG?

I saw an ad for a .50 BMG single-shot rifle made by Hesse in Shotgun News. It was for sale by Joeken Firearms for $1119. That's right, for a .50 BMG rifle. It looked like just a scaled-up standard bolt action with a laminated wood thumbhole stock.

I've always heard vaguely bad things about Hesse--is their quality so low as to explain this price, or is this simply an extremely simple, no-frills rifle? I kind of doubt that since Armalite and Barrett's single shots are extremely spartan and they cost three times as much.

I guess I just can't escape the feeling that this is too good to be true and so probably isn't. It just seems like if Hesse had marketed a decent .50 BMG for $1000 it would be huge news everywhere!
Old June 9, 2002, 08:14 AM   #2
Southern Raider

Keep in mind that you'll need to buy three to four rifles at that prices to find one that performs as expected.

While everything he makes is not crap, he has screwed too many people out of their money to be taken seriously.
Old June 9, 2002, 10:05 AM   #3
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Sigh. . . .

Yeah, I guess I figured that. Thanks.
Old June 9, 2002, 02:13 PM   #4
Chad Young

60,000+ psi......hesse receiver a few inches from my head.....I'll pass.

Seriously, until they can provide consistent quality parts, I will avoid Hesse stuff like the plague.
Old June 9, 2002, 08:36 PM   #5
Watchman

I just went to the site and looked at it.

Keep in mind that the shell holder design is pretty straight foward and simple. There really aint much that can go wrong with it.

Since its a single shot bolt action, reliablity isnt really an issue.

One thing I did notice was the lack of a bipod. The things weighs 28 pounds. It needs a provision for a bipod, or at least a flat target grade forearm for a rest. It appeared to have neither.

Other than that,it looked good. The muzzle break appears to be a bit small, but as long as it works thats all that matters.

For a .50 its fairly cheap. It has classic looks. It might be worth a try.
Old June 10, 2002, 06:45 AM   #6
JIH

Quote:
I saw an ad for a .50 BMG single-shot rifle made by Hesse in Shotgun News.
How bowlegged are you?
Old June 12, 2002, 12:38 PM   #7
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Ummm. . . . . what? Along with my lack of knowledge of Hesse rifles, I have a lack of understanding of "bowlegged." Is that good or bad?
Old June 12, 2002, 02:47 PM   #8
M700

I don't know about the bowlegged comment......but I would keep my wallet FAR away from anything made by Hesse.
Old June 12, 2002, 04:51 PM   #9
Kaylee

Why are .50's so much more expensive than "regular" rifles, anyhow? I mean, they look pretty much the same construction pattern as standard bolts or single shots.. just more metal. (though granted I've never looked WAY close on 'em).

Is everyone making back their R&D costs? Or are they using some special high-grade steel? Do the tolerences have to be tighter?

Why?

-K
Old June 12, 2002, 07:01 PM   #10
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Well, "more metal" with good quality carbon steel is not just a matter of buying another couple of pounds of steel. It does complicate the process, or at least it would complicate forging and probably heat treating. R and D probably did cost a lot, and the market is probably still relatively small although it's growing fast. The prices of .50 BMG rifles are not that surprising to me, which is why this one made such an impression. It just seemed hard to believe.

Someone just posted on AR15.com about a rifle he built with a Hesse lower. After TWO rounds the receiver cracked at the pin! Bad casting with a void or something.
Now imagine that kind of construction with .50 BMG going off inside it. You guys have a very good point. I think I'll pass.
Old June 13, 2002, 06:30 AM   #11
JIH

Quote:
Along with my lack of knowledge of Hesse rifles, I have a lack of understanding of "bowlegged."
Well, to chamber a round, and then put your face anywhere near a .50 BMG made by Hesse, considering some of the top notch work I've seen on their AKs, you'd need to have quite a big pair.
Old June 13, 2002, 11:07 PM   #12
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Ahhh, must be a Texas thing. Subtle. I like it.
But I must regretfully conclude. . . . they're brass, but they ain't big enough for that.
Old June 14, 2002, 02:54 AM   #13
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Heck, mine are much heavier than brass...but they still ain't tough enough to put my face next to a Hesse receiver.
Old June 15, 2002, 04:47 PM   #14
Celt

I wouldnt even be standing in the same county when some one fires a 50 BMG made by Hesse.

Here is one story of hoe they screw folks over:
I was sent a "PSG-1" barrel by a customer who had aquired it from Hesse. He paid like $600.00 for it. Hesse told the guy it was a Lother Walther Stainless that Hesse machined and chambered to fit the HK-91.
Upon inspection of the bore and chamber, I found that it was no way in he11 a fine Walther barrel. The bore was terrible.
The chamber had the flutes cut in it by sinker EDM. This made the flutes just the opposite of what they are on a real H&K barrel.
Good way to have failure to extract.

I do alot of business with Lothar Walther and know their barrels well. I call Hesse to make sure what the customer said was true.
They confirmed that is was a Walther SS barrel.
I called The pres. of Walther USA side and told him what was going on. Guess what? They had never sold Hesse a barrel.
I sent the barrel to Walther to be inspected with their keen eyes and sofisticated equipment. It was not a Walther bbl.

I told the customer I would not barrel his rifle with it and to get his money back for the junk barrel.

Don't know if he did, but I sure hope so.

FWIW
Celt