The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 22, 2002, 03:37 PM   #1
swabjocky

Have you ever won anything in the magazine gun giveaways?

I keep entering them hoping to win something.I know I cant win if I dont enter.do you know anyone that has won?

swab
Old May 22, 2002, 03:40 PM   #2
HankB

Never won.

Never met anyone who has.
Old May 22, 2002, 04:08 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Never won.
Never knew met or heard of anyone who has won.

I have to admit, the one with the 16 gun collection... I had to enter that one.

I think it's bogus. Gun Magazines aren't making enough fundage to be doing giveaways like that.
Old May 22, 2002, 04:10 PM   #4
Lavan

I betcha whoever enters gets LOTS of junk mail. Can use it for fuel in winter. A real prize.
Old May 22, 2002, 04:21 PM   #5
Zundfolge

Quote:
I think it's bogus. Gun Magazines aren't making enough fundage to be doing giveaways like that.
those giveaways cost the magazine absolutely nothing ... they get free guns from the manufacturers and the manufacturers get advertising.

And I like getting gun related junk mail (a brotha has to have somethign to read in the john )
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old May 22, 2002, 04:25 PM   #6
snubby

Never have (course, I've never entered any of the contests, either). I assume someone wins these things (certainly the gun mags are honest?), but haven't ever seen any photos or read addresses/locales of the winners (probably for personal security reasons).
Old May 22, 2002, 05:09 PM   #7
Jason Demond

I have won a whole load of nothing..
Old May 22, 2002, 05:55 PM   #8
Redlg155

Nope. But then neither has the Publishers Clearing House shown up at my door. Good thing too, cause I don't think America wants to see my answering the door with my undies and a .45 in the middle of the night.

I am doomed to work for a living.

Good Shooting
RED
Old May 22, 2002, 07:07 PM   #9
PATH

I keep sending the stuff back in but have yet to win. I did win a Beretta 8040 Cougar at an NRA dinner a couple of years back though! Hey, you have got to be in it to win it.

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old May 22, 2002, 07:21 PM   #10
Brass Rat

What a bunch of losers!!

I ALWAYS win something.

JUNK MAIL and SPAM!!!
Old May 23, 2002, 12:16 AM   #11
Waterdog

It's a waste of time, and could create a backache for your postman. And you know damn well, they are selling your personal info.

Waterdog
Old May 23, 2002, 01:10 AM   #12
Phil Ca

A few years ago when American Survival Guide was still in print I submitted my wife's name and mine to one of their monthly drawings. My wife won a Vietnam fighting knife with a low serial number. She did not read the note that informed her of the winning. A month or so later another card came in the mail and she asked me to dewal with it. I found that she had won the knife and immediately called up the editor and claimed her prize, which she gave me anyway.

Old May 23, 2002, 01:29 AM   #13
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Naw, but I keep on entering all kind's of sweepstakes;
hoping that Ed McMahon and Dick Clark will show up,
driving the prize patrol wagon.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old May 23, 2002, 07:50 AM   #14
HankB

Ala Dan - the way my luck runs, if Dick Clark and Ed McMahon showed up on my door the night of the big prize giveaway, they'd be saying something like "Sir, could you tell us when your neighbors - the ones you don't like - will be home? We have something for them!"
Old May 23, 2002, 08:21 AM   #15
foghornl

Over the years, I figure I must be out at least $150 in postage. Total prizes won....Less than 1.

Unless you count winning a chance to previewthe first in a series of video tapes, and then buying them for $25 each....
Old May 23, 2002, 09:15 AM   #16
Aion

"You may already be a weiner!!!"

Once, about 15 - 20 years ago, I won a ball cap. Too bad I don't wear them.

- Aion
Old May 23, 2002, 07:39 PM   #17
tc556guy

I won a Chris Reeves knife about 12 years ago from Gun World; I also won a raffle that was published in Guns Magazine about 10 years ago.

Other than that and a moped that I was stupid enough to claim after winning, the only things I have won are various Tee shirts, coolers and the like.
Old May 23, 2002, 08:29 PM   #18
Betty

I've been involved in several "giveaways"(on the advertising side). Some were real and one was bogus.

The bogus one had the grand prize of a brand new VW Beetle. There was no Beetle. Seven companies were involved in the "prize drawing". There was no "promise of anyone winning the Beetle". It was so pathetic. Deceptive? Yup. Illegal? I don't know, but it sure was scummy.

So what was it all about? It was probably meant to generate a mailing list consisting of all the people who entered.
Old May 23, 2002, 08:36 PM   #19
KSFreeman

Guy I know over in Frankfort (east of me one county) won a trip to TR, Inc. to take DHG1 with Mikey Vee from Montana ("Shoot with a gunwriter" contest). Bill had a great time (but who doesn't down there).
Old May 24, 2002, 12:02 AM   #20
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

It is not a gun magazine contest but I once worked with a nurse who won a car in a supermarket sweepstakes.
Old May 24, 2002, 08:42 AM   #21
Zundfolge

Quote:
I assume someone wins these things (certainly the gun mags are honest?), but haven't ever seen any photos or read addresses/locales of the winners (probably for personal security reasons).
American Handgunner and their sister publications (Guns and some other magazine) plasters photos of their winners all over the entry forums and pages of the magazine devoted to the contests, so I figure someone wins.

and as for "giving them information that they will use to send me spam and junk mail", Hell they already have my name and address since I subscribed to their magazine so its not like I'm giving them anything extra.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand