The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 20, 2002, 03:38 PM   #1
White Wolfe

Buttstock removal

Can someone please tell me how to remove the buttstock on my Bushmaster AR-15. Read somewhere that it takes a tool to remove it without marring the finish up. I would like to know how it comes off. Any info or links appreciated.
Old May 20, 2002, 07:30 PM   #2
markmcj

If you have a standard A2 buttstock, remove the top flathead screw. Off comes the buttstock. Under the buttstock there will be a spring and detent pin. Don't loose it or your rear receiver pin will not have pin to hold it in place. To remove the buffer tube is a little more involed. If you have an M4 type stock you will need a tool designed for it or a padded set of channel locks.

mark mcj
Old May 21, 2002, 12:15 AM   #3
White Wolfe

Thanks Mark

When I looked at it I didnt realize that it came off in 2 pieces. I thought it came off from the front somehow and was one piece. Also thanks for mentioning the spring. The tube had 2 flats on it for a wrench so that was easy once I got the outer part off. I did have to hunt down the pin and spring that hold the buffer piston and spring back, they flew out when I started to remove the tube. But I found them. Again thanks for the info.