The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 20, 2002, 10:18 AM   #1
jwise

Magazines affecting accuracy?

I am aware that in a magazine-fed firearm, the quality of the magazine will directly affect the reliability of the weapon system. However, I have never thought of the magazine as having an affect on the ACCURACY.

I have received advice from an individual to try a different magazine in my rifle, in order to see if the one I'm using is causing my poor performance. Heck, I'll try it, but I don't see how a magazine could negatively affect my rifle's accuracy.

Anyone out there have any experience w/ a magazine of any kind of firearm (not just rifle) throwing off your firearm's accuracy, or enhancing it?
Old May 20, 2002, 11:02 AM   #2
C.R.Sam

Offhand I can't see magazine causing accuracy problem......unless it is causing deformation of the bullets.

Can't hurt to try a switch tho.

Sam
Old May 20, 2002, 12:38 PM   #3
Dave R

Sam, Jwise, that is the point. If a magazine is not feeding properly, the tip of the bullet can be dented as it is shoved ito the chamber. That would hurt accuracy, I presume?.

If the round is not properly guided into the chamber, the bullet can ding against the edge of the chamber, or even the roof of the chamber. I have seen it in my .22 autoloader, when I have had occasion to ulnoad before firing my final round. Sometimes, the round that comes out has a flat spot on the bullet, where it whacked the chamber (face?) before going into battery.

'Course, that ol' .22 does not feed reliably, and has frequent hangups with bullet nose on chamber face.

Would not hurt to try a differnet mag. Also might be good to try cycling a few mags full of rounds through the action, and then examining the rounds to see if they are getting banged up.