The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2002, 02:54 PM   #1
Marlin1894

Need info on shotshell reloading

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting into reloading, but I confess I don't know much about it. I would appreciate it if y'all could help me out. At first all I want to reload are shotgun shells(12 & 20 ga.) so I would need a press with interchangeable dies. I also don't want anything cheap, but inexpensive is good . I was wondering about the MEC 9000G model, but again, I don't know much about this. I would appreciate all info y'all could share with me. Thanks,

Marlin 1894

-Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old May 14, 2002, 03:13 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

My advice is to get a book on it. I bought a decent shotgun reloading manual from Barnes and Noble!
Bottomline, shotgun reloading can give you high quality trap/skeet/field ammo for almost the same cost as the bargain stuff at WalMart. You will NOT be able to beat the price of that stuff. I've tried loading premium ammo (turkey, magnums,steel), but the cost savings have not been as much as I had hoped, due to the high cost of specialty reloading components. I am currently using a Lee Load All II, which is the bargain basement way to get into shotshell reloading ($35-40).
Old May 14, 2002, 03:49 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Get book
Read
Learn all of it.
Listen to Poodle shooter.

Sam
Old May 14, 2002, 08:01 PM   #4
dick w. holliday

it ain't like pistol or rifle

Forget about the interchangeable die idea unless you are ready to spend some real bucks....the entry level loaders are too much trouble to change.......i've been loading shotshells for 30 years on the various MEC loaders so i'd tell you to figure out whether you want to load a few boxes or a few cases a month----if you want to load a few cases then figure out which of the progressives you want and buy one of each gauge you want to load........i saw Mec Grabbers for $238 i think at Midsouth.....Dick

P.S. i forgot to answer your question about the 9000G---i use one for 12 ga and it works like a champ but i'[ll tell you this....most progressives will take a little getting used to and you'll learn what to keep an eye on.......with the 9000 you have to watch the primer drop....the first time you don't watch it it will not drop a primer and then you've got a shell with powder and no primer which you guessed it will muck up the works......mine has loaded thousands and thousands of shells........my suggestion would be to buy it in 12 ga first and if you like it then buy another in 20.....the 9000 has an auto index feature which you may or may not like....the grabber i mentioned is basically the same as a 9000 but does not have the autoindex feature.....
Old May 15, 2002, 05:56 AM   #5
Marlin1894

Thanks guys, thats what I needed to know. I'm on my way to B&N!

Marlin1894

-Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old May 15, 2002, 08:57 AM   #6
Selfdfenz

Lee Loadall

I started out on a Loadall many years ago. Think I gave 25$ for it new.
Loaded many many a trap load on that baby.
Its a cheap way to get started and not a bad loader for a beginner. I sold that press about ten years ago but I got back into SGs this past winter and guess what....got another Loadall.

Just my POV but the old AA hulls were great. The current stuff stinks. I load Remington STS hulls and they last like the old AAs use to. If you keep an eye peeled you can get a 20 and a 12 ga Loadall for about 65 or 70 $. I agree with what the other posters said get a couple of books and read them before you make a decision. SG shells are easy and fun to relaod. You just about can't beat Wallyworld for dove loads but I still rather load my own because they are just better.
S-
Old May 15, 2002, 12:31 PM   #7
rg1

MEC Sizemaster

If you're not going to be shooting a lot, such as skeet and trap, then I recommend a MEC Sizemaster. You can get 12 and 20 ga dies for it and they interchange fairly easily. It is a single stage press meaning you take one shotgun shell through the entire process at a time. Better to learn on than a progressive. This press will last a lifetime. Loads 3" shells too.