The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 23, 2000, 11:22 PM   #1
Medic

Some time back I received a Mossberg Maverick 88 as a gift. It's got the black polymer stock and forearm and has the 26" plain, bead sight barrel (I'm guessing). If I remember correctly, it's got the 5-6 shot tube on it. I compared it to the Mossberg 500 Cruiser that my room-mate has, and they seem awful similar. I think I remember seeing that the Maverick models were the "budget" shotgun's produced by Mossberg. I know I've seen variants of it at Walmart, with a shorter barrel of course. I'm thinking of buying and 18" barrel, to go along with my Winchester 1300, so I'll have a couple of defense scatterguns.
Anybody have any thoughts, comments, knowledge they would like to share about these particular Mossberg's?

Thanks,
Medic

------------------
Admit Nothing,
Deny Everything,
Make Counter Accusations
Old June 24, 2000, 06:40 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

You're correct in that Maverick is Mossberg's economy line. The Maverick is basically a 500 that has been economized; single action bar, plastic furniture etc. AFAIK the barrels also interchange, but not positive about that last.