The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2002, 08:26 PM   #1
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

NEW: Kahr P9 vs. Glock 26 review

Just posted a comparison review . It assumes some familiarity with the pistols and addresses mostly the differences relevant for concealed carry. I also updated my Kel-tec P32 review , mostly to reflect on-going experience with it and to show a couple of new photos.
Old April 16, 2002, 08:31 PM   #2
Ewok_Guy

Good pictures.

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old April 16, 2002, 09:26 PM   #3
Lord Grey Boots

Oleg, got a pic that shows them side by side in order to compare height?

Your review matches my impression. The Kahrs are a good design, but still show some teething problems.

Sarin Nerve Gas:FOUND Ricin Toxin:FOUND Mustard Gas:FOUND Long Range Rockets:FOUND Nuclear material:FOUND 20 tons of Chemical weapons:FOUND Al-Queda FOUND
Old April 17, 2002, 06:44 AM   #4
mini14jac

Oleg,
Excellent write up and pics.
I love my MK9, but after the PM9 has been out a year or so,
I would certainly love to add one to my collection.
Old April 17, 2002, 11:43 AM   #5
bikeguy

strange - I use Speer 124 gr. +P's in my P9 without a single failure to feed! I guess it just shows how ammo sensitive guns can be. I practice with GA Arms ball ammo or S&B ball and have found the S&B to be extremely accurate. What ball ammo did you use, and what were your impressions?
Old April 17, 2002, 11:47 AM   #6
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

All three of my magazines (two came with the gun, one bought elsewhere) were bad. I think that a big lot of early mags wasn't welded right. That explained the failured to feed. However, I amnot sure why the P9 locks back with +P 124s now...I am not holding it tightly enough, most likely.

For ball ammo, I used Winchester white box and (mostly) S&B 115gr. The accuracy is fine with them (the target featured was done with ball) but I notice that S&B JHPs (which are my prefered load) yielded tighter groups yet. Not sure on other ammo (Remington 147gr, Speer 124+P) because I've not shot as much of it.
Old April 17, 2002, 02:33 PM   #7
bikeguy

did you notice a difference in the Win. and the S&B?

I am always fascinated by the differences in ammo performance from make to make and gun to gun!
Old April 18, 2002, 09:04 AM   #8
Richard

Thoughts on Baby Glocks and Kahr Pistols

Oleg,

I read and appreciated your article on the Kahr P9 and Glock 26. First of all let me say that Stephen A. Camp uses a Glock 26 as a pocket pistol. That tells me that pocket carry of a Glock 26 is possible.

It took me a long time to learn to like my Kahr E9. I questioned why I had bought it. It felt heavy in my hand and I had bobbles in every magazine until I had shot 200. Is there any truth that Kahr pistols need to be shot 200 rounds before you carry them? Yes, I haven't had a malfunction since. This little pistol will shoot with most service sized 9mm pistols. Interestingly, full sized Kahr pistols fit in holsters designed for Colt Officer sized pistols.

My thoughts on the Glock 26/27 are based on my owning a Glock 27. Mine came with Trijicon sights and is an excellent pistol. The Glock 26/27 is a more versatile platform. Why? If you combine an A&G adapter with a Model 19/23 magazine you will swear you are shooting a Model 19/23. My Glock 27 has been totally reliable from the start but its accuracy doesn't match my Kahr.

A lot of this is apples and oranges but it does seem to apply to your post. Thanks again for your comparison.

Regards,

Richard
Old April 18, 2002, 11:03 AM   #9
dkochan

Oleg,

I enjoyed your reviews of the Kahr P9 and Glock 26. I own both of these of guns. I've agree with you in that the Kahr is more accurate and conceals better because it is lighter and thinner. However, you can't go wrong with either gun.
www.SlingshotDepot.com -- Your source for slingshots and accessories
www.e-Headlamps.com -- LED hands-free lighting
Old April 18, 2002, 11:13 AM   #10
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello, Oleg. My P9's slide lock would engage prematurely, but only with +P ammo; worked fine with standard velocity rounds. However, mine was an early Kahr P9. Don't know if that's what's plaguing your pistol or not; just a thought. So far now, in over a thousand rounds of hot handloaded JHPs, factory +P, and standard ball, no malfunctions with the G26.

EXCELLENT REVIEW.

Best.

Last edited by Stephen A. Camp; April 18, 2002 at 11:43 AM.
Old April 18, 2002, 11:23 AM   #11
USGuns

P9 and P32?

Great write-up and pics.
How about a pic comparing the P9 and P32?
Thanks!
Old April 18, 2002, 11:23 AM   #12
johnwill

Oleg,

I don't know if this is my browser settings, or the review page. The text was in a very skinny column, which made it pretty hard to read the review, only a couple of words on a line is slow going.

With that said, it's an excellent review, and the pictures are very good for comparing the pistols. I think I may have to consider the Kahr, though I may hold out for the PM9...
Old April 18, 2002, 11:54 AM   #13
meat

Excellent write up! I will 2nd that it was a little difficult to read because of the thin column of text. Maybe you could format it a little differently.
If you could only choose one of these to purchase, which would it be?
Old April 18, 2002, 11:55 AM   #14
bikeguy

oh yeah, forgot to mention that my slide did prematurely lock once or twice during the "break in" period, but not since - even with +p rounds. Can't explain the difference in our experiences!
Old April 18, 2002, 12:05 PM   #15
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I like the P9 MUCH more than the Glock. It was the one real gun I could conceal well for a long time. However, they are functionally very close. The thinness of the Kahr is what makes it better for me. I upgraded from a Kel-tec P11 and never looked back.

I'll re-format the text. Please tell me your browser/screen size (in pixels)/OS.
Old April 18, 2002, 02:36 PM   #16
HankB

Oleg, I really liked the P9 when I bought it. But look through these forums where people detail their problems with polymer Kahrs - except for a broken frame, I had just about EVERY problem others have had. Premature slide lockback, failure to go into battery, trigger pin walkout, failure to activate striker when trigger is pulled - you name it, my P9 (or is it POS9?) had it.

Kahr, as a company, treated me ethically, and ultimately replaced the pistol. But like the saying goes, "Once burned, twice shy."

I now carry a Glock 26.

It's thicker than the POS9 was, but the G26 works very well indeed.
Old April 19, 2002, 07:18 AM   #17
Eric Larsen

I own a Kahr K40 and shoot a Glock 26..once in a blue moon.
Both are as reliable as a hammer. The loaded weight of the guns is very close and the 26 is much thicker. They are both topodaline guns. They are just much different dimensionally and ergonomically. I say, which ever fits your hand and twists your knobs the best....get it. The Glock and Kahr full size guns arnt pocket pistols IMO...Shoot well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old April 19, 2002, 01:37 PM   #18
johnwill

Quote:
I'll reformat the text. Please tell me your browser/screen size (in pixels)/OS.
No worries on my account, I've already read the review. FWIW, my screen is 1024x768, this computer is running W98SE, and the browser is IE 5.5. I get the same result on another machine with Win2K, IE 6, also at 1024x768.

I was just mentioned it so other visitors would have an easier read of the review, no criticism of the content intended.
Old April 19, 2002, 03:49 PM   #19
SkySlash

I carry the G26, my wife carries the P9.

When we bought the P9 about 3 weeks ago, I shot about 150 rounds of CCI Blazer through it. On the first try with Hollowpoints, I had a misfeed on the first shot with 124gr. Gold Dot +P.

It bothered me, so I put Black Talons in it until I am satisfied that it can feed the Gold Dot's reliably. I hope the 200 shot rule is realistic.

Both are superb guns, and I found your review very fair to both Oleg.

-SS
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Old April 19, 2002, 04:27 PM   #20
blades67

Well done.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old April 19, 2002, 06:17 PM   #21
dsk

I'll agree Oleg that your article was very well-written. I traded a G26 in for a P9 as the G26 didn't fit my hand very well. My only complaint with it lies with the mags popping the first round out. How did you go about getting yours swapped? Did Kahr ask for the old ones back first, or did they just send new ones no questions asked? I have three mags and they all have the "round-eject" feature.
Old April 19, 2002, 06:52 PM   #22
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I called Kahr, they said "must have been a bad batch". I think all early mags were like that, as I got mine from two sources at various times. They offered to mail me three mags and said they won't require the return of the old mags. I had three new mags within ten days. I can swing the new mags hard (as if pitching a softball) and no rounds come loose.

I agree that G26 has a better out of the box record of reliability. However, once made reliable, P9 seems as good (I fired about 500 rds through the G26, which I got relatively recently) and about 2,000 rounds through the P9 -- it is just a pleasure to shoot.

I will add a P9/P32 picture soon.
Old April 19, 2002, 08:17 PM   #23
blades67

Quote:
I can swing the new mags hard (as if pitching a softball) and no rounds come loose.
Was that how you would defend yourself with the old magazines?

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old April 20, 2002, 12:20 PM   #24
CHAINSAW

Oleg, Thanks for the great article. That was the first time I visited your website. Nicely done as well.

I liked the Kel-Tec article also, as well as other info on your site. Thanks----------Chainsaw
Old April 23, 2002, 10:42 AM   #25
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I updated the review with three new photos, as requested. Re-formatted the page, too.