The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2000, 09:30 AM   #1
SA Scott

Hoo Yah! Love it!

Fired about 50 rounds of mixed loads, with no reliability problems. Fairly accurate out to 25-30 yds. The gun is surprisingly light & handy, even fully loaded.

The only problem I have is cycling the action fully/rapidly with my weak left hand. I'm thinking a pistol grip forearm may help me. I've looked at Choate's offering. Any other suggestions?

I'd also like to find a flashlight mount and conventional flashlight with a pressure switch. This was mentioned in a couple of other threads. Any ideas?

Thanks,

SA Scott
Old March 1, 2000, 01:26 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

IMO, Scott, a little more practice will do more for you than that PG gizmo. Remember, shotguns usually cycle better if they're racked hard, not babied.
Old March 1, 2000, 02:23 PM   #3
SA Scott

Thanks, Dave.

I'm new to shotgunning, so I've appreciate all of your input on the board (even though I didn't buy an 870 ).

My problem is that my hand tends to slip of the forearm when cycling from the shoulder, I assume from weak grip and that the action length is just long enough to strain my reach. I thought the PG forearm might help. Shorter buttstock, maybe?

I'll certainly keep putting rounds through the gun either way.

Thanks again,

SA Scott
Old March 1, 2000, 04:21 PM   #4
jcoyoung

I think the forearm for the "sporting" Mossbergs comes back farther than the HD shotguns. They are made of wood (or wood like material?) so they won't look right.
Old March 1, 2000, 05:47 PM   #5
monoboy

Welcome to the ranks with your 590A1.

As far as cycling, what Dave McC said. When I used my friends 870, I had similiar problems (I'm always respectful of others tools, and therefore, more gentle). When I got my own, I rack it hard, and it works fine.

I believe that for your flashlight setup, what you are looking for is made by Tacstar. They offer a product that clamps a mini-mag light under the barrel/mag. Then you take of the back of the mini-mag, and screw in their assembly that has a pressure switch on a coiled "pig tail". The pressure switch mounts with adhesive anywhere on the firearm.

Haven't tried this setup. I've heard that the flashlight takes a beating from the heavy recoil.

If I mis-understood your question, I apologize.

P.S. Go with a Responder, and you'll be a happy camper.
Old March 1, 2000, 05:53 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Don't worry Scott, some of my best friends shoot shotguns other than the venerated 870 (G)....

And, IMO, more folks shoot stocks that are too long than too short. A trimmed off stock may do more good than the PG thing, but I'd have to see you shoot to be sure.

Query, does your hand slip off during the reload stroke? Maybe a little roughening up of the forearm material is in order. Or, try some of the hook side Velcro glued on with craft glue. One like Gemtac should peel off afterwards w/o leaving a mark.

It might be all you need is practice.

BTW,back when I was instructing, a dedicated but vertically challenged rookie we had shot over 80% on the shotgun course. He was 4'10".

Hope this helps. If not,sing on out...
Old March 1, 2000, 06:03 PM   #7
Hueco

Sorry, this could be a totally moot response, but why not do some hand excersizes? A tennis ball and free time -- that's the key to a strong hand!

Hueco
Old March 1, 2000, 07:39 PM   #8
Ned Roundtree

More practice and a shorter buttstock. But would have to see you shoot. Shoot your gun more and get used to it. Many folks just shoot and try to change things on the gun. Sometimes you just have to get used to your weapon. Strengths and weaknesses you can pick out after a while.
Old March 2, 2000, 09:01 AM   #9
SA Scott

Thanks for all the feedback, gentlemen.

All worthwhile ideas. I'm 5'9", 240, stocky build. My arms are maybe a little short, and the left is shorter/weaker due to mild spastic cerebral palsy. The ejection stroke on the forearm isn't as much of a concern, but my hand tends to slip off or fail to complete the return stroke. I'm bothered by this in terms of rapidly recharging the gun and keeping it in a ready position. (What you're supposed to do, right?)

Most of my experience with firearms hasn't required so much weak side control, so it's never been an issue.

As far as lights, I do want a SureFire, I just thought a conventional flashlight was an immediate option until 1) I have the money, and 2) a convenient way to practice.

I will continue to practice--I would prefer to confidently operate the gun as is, but also want to maximize my capability.

Thanks again,

SA Scott
Old March 2, 2000, 11:02 AM   #10
Shin-Tao

Welcome to the brotherhood of the 12bore. I commend your selection.
As for your difficulty, I do recomend practice. Cycle the action wilst watching TV. Shoulder the weapon as normal and rack the action. Grip excercises, as with a tennis ball, are a good idea.
The forearm grip may be a good idea. Go ahead and try it out, but don't discard the original forearm. Practice with both.
I also think the mounting of a flashlight is wise. It greatly aides in target identification in low light. Holding a seperate flashlight while operating a pump 12 is quite a chore.
Old March 2, 2000, 12:54 PM   #11
Gorthaur

Get the short stock, you won't regret it. My 590-A1 came with the "bantam" stock on it.

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
No On Knight - No On 22