The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 6, 2002, 02:39 AM   #1
OkieCruffler

Mashburn arms

Funny that name should come up. Before I got the CIA I used the Gunfinder web thangy in an effort to find a SS 605 with a concealed hammer in the area. Got an email today from mashburn, they have one that will only cost me $349, a bargin at half the price . I haven't set foot in the store since I went in for some 9mm snap caps and all they had was a bag of 50 of those orange rubber things for about 30 bucks. When I told the salesman I didn't need that many and only wanted 6 or so he informed me that if that was all I needed he couldn't waste his time on me (the store was empty) and that they didn't need my business anyway. That's too bad since I really enjoy paying two prices on everything I buy. And for what it's worth, the no concealed handgun sign was still up.
Old April 6, 2002, 07:35 AM   #2
OK Bart

And for what it's worth, the no concealed handgun sign was still up.

And, that, along with the general junkiness of the guns therein, is why I will never darken the door of Mashburn's. They have sullied the name of a fine old gun shop.
Old April 6, 2002, 07:36 AM   #3
hankrearden2000

Uhuu.
"Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook
Old April 6, 2002, 07:55 AM   #4
stellarpod

Ditto all the above. I truly don't understand how they're staying in business. Their prices are not just a little above everyone else's, they're astronomical - full retail or more on everything.

I made the mistake of leaving a Taurus PT99 with them some time back to get a new sight installed. After several weeks of listening to their lame excuses I finally told them to give me my gun back. I walked out of their feeling fortunate that I didn't have to give these clowns a dime. I've never darkened their doorway since.

One of the most prestigious names in the custom gun business has absolutely been tarnished beyond recognition.
Old April 6, 2002, 08:27 PM   #5
OkieCruffler

Seems like there's an awful lot of folks on this board who frequent the same places I do. Maybe we could get an Okie shoot organized.
Old April 6, 2002, 09:12 PM   #6
Will Beararms

Hey:

OK is part of my sales territory, I'm a gun nut, I like the folks up there and my Maternal Grandmother was Mississippi Choctaw. Do I qualify as an honorary member?

By the way, there are some wild places up there to be seen. The drive from just South of Elk City, through Anadarko on up to Chickasha is interesting but that stretch of road from I-35 N that passes by those funky red clay mountain stepp things on the way to Woodward is incredible and something no one who lives in OK should miss. I can't remember if those miniature mountains are on 412 or 60.

I was eating breakfast one morning in Miami, OK and bumped into Don Hume in his Deputy Sheriff's Uniform as I left the local Miami greasy spoon. One heck of a nice guy I might add. I have spent hours in Ditch Witch in Perry which I hear is having hard times. I have also done work with Mercruiser in Stilwater, Zebco Motorguide in Tulsa and Baldor in Westville deep in the heart of the Cherokee Nation. I have been places in OK where a white or black man does not go after dark-----------------only an Indian.
Old April 7, 2002, 12:29 AM   #7
hankrearden2000

Could be either 412 or 60. Those are the "Glass Mountains" of Major County. Glass because of the gypsum they contain and which sparkles like glass when the sun hits them just right.

You aren't one of those Texans are you?
"Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook
Old April 7, 2002, 02:09 AM   #8
Big Iron

The only reason to go into Mashburn Arms is if you want a really good laugh, or feel the need for abuse. FWIW, Outdoor America is a better deal. However, even their attitudes are getting worse.

"Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford
Old April 7, 2002, 03:20 PM   #9
JerryM

Sometime in the late '50s I decided I wanted a 7 MM Masburn Short Magnum. Warren Page had written praises of it for years.
I contacted Mashburn Arms and asked about them making me a rifle.
I wanted a rifle about like Page's and gave them the specifications as max wt of 8 lbs with scope, and that it must group in 1.5 MOA.

They replied that they would not guarantee that level of accuracy in such a light rifle.
I never got one.

I bought a M 700 7 MM Rem Mag that groups into an inch easily. A lot cheaper too.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13 *¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 *For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old April 7, 2002, 08:39 PM   #10
Will Beararms

Yeah, I be one of them there Texans
Old April 7, 2002, 10:33 PM   #11
hankrearden2000

My condolences.

Won't hold it ag'in ya though.
Old October 26, 2009, 04:30 AM   #12
masharms13

Im am a mashburn but not a relative to the fakes in this mashburn gunshop i've been hearing about in Oklahoma. Does ne 1 know more about these guys? I would like to know since I am an avid hunter and shooter and am deeply saddened at the name of my great uncle art mashburn's reputation being used by guys who arn't even Mashburns. I am starting learning to make the same firearms as my uncle and have all his specifications for his loads and many of his popular bolt action rifles and his triggers, and was eventually going to try and pickup where he left off with the same principles as he did. making top of the line handcrafted weapons. The original Mashburn arms was sold by the inheritants of the company when art passed away.
Old October 26, 2009, 06:33 AM   #13
Sport45

Welcome to The Firing Line masharms13!

Uh, did you notice this thread was over 7 years old?
Old October 27, 2009, 06:48 AM   #14
OkieCruffler

Well, alot has changed in 7 years. At least those pirates aren't soiling the family name anymore. They've moved and are now known as Gunworld. Still the same old crap, except I think their prices are even higher now.
Old October 27, 2009, 08:51 PM   #15
treg

Welcome to TFL masharms13. Keep us posted on your progress. Hope you do well.

.44 Special: For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.
Old October 31, 2009, 04:03 PM   #16
GLShooter

I lived in OKC for about 25 years and was in every shop in town. The old Mashburns got a lot of my money!! LOL The old wood floors and the place had an ambiance that was very comfortable.

I shopped at Fred Bakers for years and always enjoyed their shop. Once the staff found out that Fred and I got along very well prior to his opening his new shop it was always smooth sailing.

I miss Southwest Shooters that closed after I moved to AZ in 1998. The guys there were shooters and a lot of them participated in IPSC (I was the OK SC for years)

I've always wanted a 218 Mashburn Bee. I saw one on a falling block and was broke so that one slipped away!!

Greg
Old November 14, 2009, 02:28 AM   #17
Mashburnniece

Three hurrah's for Art Mashburn's legacy and the demise of the Gunworld fakes

Hi, guys. I'm a grandniece of Art Mashburn and was browsing for bio material on him. I'm happy to announce that I think I saw an article an hour ago saying that Gunworld (the infamous buyer by the name of Matthews) went out of business in 2008. Hope it's true.

I'm trying to figure out, Mashburn cousin, where you are if you're not in Okla. California, Colorado? (For those of you not aware, Art had four brothers and five sisters. The "original ten" have 200+ descendants.) I'm one of Ina's grandaughters and only keep a shotgun (pistol grip Mossy) for home defense myself--but surely there are other shootists in the family if you need some help. Is Uncle Art's son-in-law no longer alive, or one of his sons? Some of the guys in the middle generation ought to be retired by now and have plenty of time on their hands to help you. So, don't hesitate to give a shout if we need to pull some of them off their couches.

And, don't let the trash talk get you down--every website I've visited tonight has had someone speak up for Art. As I've discovered tonight, there's still a lot of loyalty to him around central Oklahoma. He didn't stop working until he was 80+ and died in 1992 at age 92. Good luck and let us know if we can help.
Old January 28, 2010, 09:32 AM   #18
artbrackets

Warning!!! 1st try @ posting here!

Hope this goes well for everyone.

I worked for art mashburn back in 60's, so i was happy when i came across this old thread and the recent posts. For public record, mr. Mashburn was a true gentleman and a shining example of a hard working, honest businessman, wish we still had more of his type. He and all the members of his family whom i met were wonderful and helpful. Some of the family worked for him, alongside the other employees, and he managed that situation with his typical grace and poise.

Would like chat w/ masharms13 & mashburnneice, pm to you both. Pls return.

Thanks to everyone who made my appearance here possible and your patience.
Old March 7, 2010, 09:13 PM   #19
Haydensnephew

Mashburn Arms Relative

I'm related to Hayden Bryce and Art Mashburn who were both at one time owners of Mashburn Arms. I would like to hear from Mashburn Niece and the gentleman who worked for Mashburn in the 1960's. My email is g.adkisson@cox.net.
Old March 20, 2010, 12:37 PM   #20
Haydensnephew

Mashburn

Just thought I'd let everyone know the guy that run's Gunworld is NOT related to the Mashburns and soon he will not be able to use the name anylonger.Arnold Beck was related and worked at the store when it was on south eastern.It was great when he passed away,he new nothing about running a gun store.After Art Mashburn and Hayden Bryce passed away Arnold sent the store straight to Hell. I'm sorry about what happened after Art & Hayden passes away.
Old April 23, 2010, 11:35 AM   #21
soonershooter

I was a teenager in about 1965 when My brother and I bought a sporterized 1903 Springfield at Mashburn's in OKC. It was on either Reno or Sheridan and SW Shooters was on the other. I fondly remember that both were real gun shops and the employees really knew about firearms. Mr. Mashburn was a real gentleman and verry patient with a couple of youngsters who had never shot anything more than a .22 but thought they needed a deer rifle and didn't have much money. Seems we bought that "03 with scope for $70.00. When I started reloading for a .270 I bought at Mashburn's, I remember paying $1.50/lb. for #4831 that they sold in pint sized ice cream cartons. Years later when they were considering moving the store and were having a sale, I tried to buy the display board with the Mashburn cartridges Mr Mashburn had developed. True to his character, Mr. Mashburn smiled and politely said it was not for sale. I hope someone has it who will value it as part of our Oklahoma firearms history.
Two years ago I was fortunate to buy at an estate auction a 7mm Mashburn Mag. made at Mashburn Arms. It has an FN Supreme action, Douglas barrel and custom stock. I will treasure it.
Old December 11, 2010, 12:14 AM   #22
mashboo

Wow, all of these relatives of Art Mashburn. As it turns out, I have been trying to get some information on a Mashburn Arms 22 hornet I got from my Dad when he passed away. My father was William (Bud) Mashburn and was Art's youngest brother. He also had a Mashburn Arms 270 that went to my nephew when Dad passed. Would also enjoy hearing from any of the Mashburns.

Regards,

Jeff Mashburn
Old December 11, 2010, 09:26 PM   #23
bedbugbilly

Ah . . . I'm not an "Okie" so I hope I'm not intrudin' here!? I do go through Oklahoma twice a year though on my way to and from Arizona. I love to visit gunshops so I'm just curious . . whee is this place (so I don't waste my time)? T

I have to say, I'm surprised at this thread and how many Okies are gathered! I always enjoy the drive through Oklahomna. I can't help it though, I have to relate the following.

One time on the way through to AZ, my wife and I stopped at a MickyD's in one of the small towns along the way - can't remember which one. There was a table full of locals in for their coffee break, obviously farmers and ranchers and we sat at the next table over from 'em. I love the small town "coffee tables" - I think every small town has one - we do where I'm from in MI. Anyways, these guys were having a good time laughing and talking and then one older fellow in a cowboy hat pulled a photo out of his pocket and it got passed around the table. There was a lot of laughter and one fellow made the remark . . . wow . . look at the ass on that! Everybody laughed and from the general conversation, you would have thought that the fellow had passed around a photo of a naked lady. I had been talking to one of the fellows at that table and when they got done passing the photo around, he picked it up and handed it to me saying . . . "do they have great looking asses like that where you're from?" I took the photo and looked at it and then replied . . . . now that is one fine ass! My wife is no prude, but she was sitting across the table from me, looking at me a little funny and then I turned the photo so she could see it . . . it was a picture of a great looking "jackass" that the fellow in the cowboy hat had just purchased. All of the fellows had a good laugh watching the expression on my wife's face as she listened in. I've chuckled about that a lot since then but it also has given me such a good feeling when I think about that coffee table surrounded by the "locals" enjoying their morning coffee and the fellowship of others - they were a great group of guys - fellows that you'd like to get to know. So . . . even though I'm not an "Okie" . . . my hat is off to you fellows . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 6, 2011, 09:33 AM   #24
Dave Johnson

I bought a Model 13 Smith & Wesson from Mashburn in 1987. I traded them a Mossburg 12 gauge for it. I didn't know a thing about guns and they were nice and helpful. The price was at the high end of the spectrum, but fair. I still have it. The Model 13 was a wise recommendation for my needs on their part; because the gun has served me well for 25 years. I Went back in 1996 because I wanted a Walther PPK in new condition in the Alligator box from the 1960's. (I'm a James Bond nut). The NEW owner, a tall slender guy, called his supplier and was told they had none of this model in stock; and then tried to sell me something else. I told him that since the gun hasn't been made in 30 years, I was hoping he knew a collector or could get into Shotgun news and find one for me and take care of the transfer. He got short with me and barked "I'm in the business" and he knew there were no 1960 PPK's available and then again tried to get me interested in another gun. Either he was naive, or he thought I was naive and tried to use my naiveté' to bully me. A few months later he was set up at a gun show in OKC and I asked him to transfer a gun I found. He quoted me a $45 transfer fee to do 10 minutes of paperwork. (which is $63 today adjusted for inflation). The going rate at the time was $15. I am not surprised now as I read this thread that Mashburn Arms went out of business; and frankly I chuckled. Having him bark "I'm in the business" at my face is something that I've remembered all these years... a little window into the soul of someone ill-equipped to function as an entrepreneur.
Old March 6, 2011, 11:14 AM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

No reason for this one to keep coming back, especially in the revolver forum.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread