The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 4, 2002, 10:20 AM   #1
Morglan

Can somebody explain "Cutting the pie"?

I've heard/read this expression many times in relation to how to approach/round corners. Can someone describe this process? Thanks!
Old April 4, 2002, 11:42 AM   #2
sigmund

The more common term is "slicing the pie". If you do a search on that phrase (click the Search button on the top right of the page), you will find dozens of threads describing and discussing it.
Old April 4, 2002, 12:15 PM   #3
dawg23

Not to be confused with "cutting the cheese."
Old April 6, 2002, 11:03 AM   #4
Coronach

Quick explaination:

When approaching a corner, one does not just walk around it, or poke one's head around it. One steps back a ways, so as to be 'going wide' around the corner, and proceeds very slowly, inching around and looking for target indicators (body parts, weapons, shadows, smells, sounds) in the region to be entered. It is called slicing the pie (I think) because if you treat the corner as the fixed point at the center of a circle and you treat your path around the corner as a trip around a circle's circumference, your action is proceeding forward is like taking a slice out of a pie.

Clear as mud?

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old April 6, 2002, 06:37 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

Mikes explanation clear as pie to me.

Doin it that way cuts down on the suprises one can find by approaching from close to the wall and just popping into the next range of view.

Apex your corners when racin, keep track when walkin.

Situational awareness and all that.

Sam
Old April 7, 2002, 12:19 AM   #6
Sierra1

maximize to minimize

Slicing the pie is maximizing your distance from a corner while minimizing your exposure to a potential threat. While using this technique to clear rooms you will be able to literally see an assailant before he/she can see you. It is highly effective.
Old April 7, 2002, 09:57 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

While not directly gun or doorway related, but conceptually, there is a neat graphic in the original Star Wars movie that shows the Death Star (or whatever it was called), coming around the planet and on the command consoles, you could see pie slices being add as it came around, the slices showing the additional new territory it could shoot until finally one of those pieces of pie is displayed over the intended target.

With people and doors or corners, it is more complicated than that, but the movie should give you a good working visual concept referencd.
Old April 7, 2002, 10:48 AM   #8
Coronach

That, actually, is an excellent visual. I had never thought of it before, but as soon as your emntioned it, i knew exactly the scene you're talking about.

The important point is you don't just blunder around a corner like you're going on a Sunday stroll.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old April 8, 2002, 10:39 AM   #9
Morglan

Thanks all!

DNS--that really was a great analogy!
Old April 8, 2002, 11:54 AM   #10
Zundfolge

For all you FPS players, "Slicing the pie" is basically circle strafing around corners.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old April 8, 2002, 05:40 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

So does this one attaboy make up for several of my previous cruddy analogies that didn't work for anyone but me?

For future reference and citation, just call it the Double Naught Spy Star Wars Death Star Slicing the Pie Analogy, or DNSSWDSSPA for short. That should keep everything perfectly clear.