The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 2, 2002, 11:59 PM   #1
toast

Would anyone recommend a Heritage Stealth 9mm for ccw?

I fould one new in box for 250. Is it worth it?
Old April 3, 2002, 06:32 AM   #2
Arub

I looked into the Stealth on both this board and one other awhile back, also performed a search. Did not get any tangible negative results. Most folks who owned one had no problems with theirs. For some reason, a cult did not form as with the Mak, Kel-Tec, NAAs, and other niche guns. The only problem I could find with one was the location of the safety, a little hard to reach for my hands. Loved the trigger, a little different than most conventional autos, likened to the trigger of a squirt gun.

Guns and Ammo, or Handguns magazine did a review of the Stealth .40cal a year or so ago, and the 9mm about a year earlier, all findings were positive.

Hope this helps.
Old April 3, 2002, 07:58 AM   #3
Logistar

I was looking for a Stealth a while back for myself. My dealer (who used to carry them) claimed that he dropped them because they were too difficult to break down I think.

Then again, I have been told that ALL my semi-autos were difficult to take apart but I consider them very easy to disassemble.

The dealer claimed that otherwise it was a good gun. I probably would have still bought one if I could have found one locally.

Logistar
Old April 3, 2002, 09:20 AM   #4
LIProgun

The Stealth is a nifty little pistol. Size is similar to a Glock 26/27, but the slide is nicely rounded, unlike the blocky Glock. Trigger pull is pretty unique, but easy to shoot well due to its consistency and light pull.

The safety is indeed in a strange place, and not particularly easy to engage or disengage. However, it is debatable whether there is any need to carry the gun with the safety on. The Stealth has an action similar to the Glock, with the striker partially cocked by the slide, and then fully cocked and released by the trigger pull.

As for disassembly, it is particularly easy to field strip, and detail strip the slide. The frame disassembly is considerably more involved than on a Glock.

My $0.02 -- for $250, buy it.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old April 3, 2002, 09:56 AM   #5
Cornbread2

This pistol is no better than a Jennings or Bryco.

It is dangerous POS.

Go to Frugals board and ask Udontnome about them.

He spent some time in the hospital and damn near lost an apendage because of one of them.

For $250 there are lots of good safe reliable guns you can buy but this one is not one of them.
Old April 4, 2002, 12:23 AM   #6
toast

Cornbread2

Do you know under what conditions the pistol caused your friend harm? Was he/she shooting lead bullets, or reloads? I would like to know the details, even Glocks have been known to rupture given the right (or wrong) set of conditions. I hope you friend is ok.

Thanks
Old April 4, 2002, 09:49 AM   #7
Cornbread2

If I remember correctly it fired on its own without touching the trigger a real accidental discharge.

It seems after a few rounds the pistol would not fire. Something was wrong with the trigger group. He jacked another round in the chamber and it still would not fire.

He way looking at the piece and in a moment of mental weekness he somehow put his hand in front of the muzzle and that is when the pistol fired. It was a contact wound and damn near blew his hand off.

He said his finger was not on the trigger and I belive him after looking at the design of one of these guns. They are very poorly made pistols and are more like the quality of a Jennings or Davis.

There are several good SAFE reliable guns that you can buy for the same price as this one that can not have an AD.
Old April 4, 2002, 10:04 AM   #8
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
There are plenty of police trade-ins you can get for $250, or just save your money and get a CZ75 compact for about $100 more. Why gamble, especially with a weapon you are trusting your life to?

Molwn labe!
Old April 4, 2002, 10:20 AM   #9
LIProgun

Quote:
They are very poorly made pistols
Other than the singular experience you cite, involving an injury related directly to violation of a fundamental safety rule, what facts do you have to support this statement? Tell us exactly what about the metallurgy, construction, quality control, and/or design makes the Stealth "very poorly made" or not "SAFE."

Or are you basing your entire opinion of this gun on a single anecdote?

Old April 4, 2002, 12:38 PM   #10
Tropical Z

The Heritage Stealth is NOWHERE close to being a Jennings or Davis!!!!!!!
It is a decent if not well known handgun that i believe would serve you well.I would also consider numerous other guns and if you don't mind a little weight would go for a FEG P9rz that "The Dealer Warehouse" is currently advertising in the Shotgun News.
Old April 6, 2002, 12:28 AM   #11
Carbon_15

A good friend of mine has one. He has very litttle experiance with guns and simply bought it becasue he thought it looked cool.
Since my experiance with the pistol is limited to one example, I cant pass judgment on them as a whole. But his is a peice of junk. It stove-pipes about 2-3 times per magazine and is not very accurate. The troubleing thing about the pistol is that that every now and then you find a fired case with a donut shaped bulge around the circumfrance of the case, just above the head, presumably from firing slightly out of battery. Good thing he only fires mild loads in it.
He also payed about $250 for his. My advice was to sell it and spend the $250 on a new Taurus .38 revolver or Mak. But in his mind, the coolness factor outweighs the fuction problems and F.O.B danger.

http://carolinashootersforum.com/index.php
Old April 6, 2002, 06:22 AM   #12
Hand_Rifle_Guy

I have a black .40, called the C4200 Shadow. No funny case bulges, not odd functions with the trigger. The safety is pretty hokey, and looks like an afterthought for the American market.

They are a gas-delayed blowback, like an HK P-7, with a trigger mechanism almost exactly like a Glock. They even go "spoink" when you dry-fire 'em. They were designed by a man named Alex DuPlessis, from South Africa. Over there they were called the ADP. Runor has it that S&W took a looong look at these prior to developing the Sigma line.

Enough backround. Mine is reliability-challenged. It seems that the magazine doesn't seat fully, or more properly, the mag catch is too loose in the frame, which allows the mag to hang a bit low, about a millimeter, or 40 thousandths. This is just enough to give the thing feeding fits. If you push the mag up into the gun, it functions fine. That's the only problem it's got, but it's a pretty big one. Otherwise, it's accurate, and quite pleasant to shoot, for a miniature .40 that cost half the price of a baby Glock.

Carbon_15, tell your friend to look into the magazine placement thing. That might explain the stovepipes. And he's right. they do look cool. More guns ought to have gothic script on the slide.

The slide is a casting, however. The sights are kind of dinky, and the rib running down the top has a visible warp in it right at the ejection port, from being the thinnest part of the casting. This is a bit funny-looking when you first notice it, but they ALL look like that, (I checked a bunch of others.) and it doesn't interfere with the functionality at all. It's just the nature of castings to do that when the metal is that thin. All the slides are stainless, regardless if they're "in the white" or powder-coated like mine. Their castings are also noted for tiny pores, and other "casting faults", that are the price you pay for such an inexpensive pistol. Once again, these "defects" do not interfere with the gun's function. They saved money on the slide, and the frame is injection-molded, so they could spend adequate funds on the gas system, which looks exactly like the one in the P-7. With a fixed barrel, these guns are mechanically very simple, quite accurate, and are perhaps the first design to take advantage of new technologies in order to save money.

I just wish my particular specimen worked a little better. But hey, it's only eaten about a hundred rounds, so it might get better. If it doesn't improve, I'm going to send it to Heritage, to see what they think. I've heard of them shipping out whole new frames, to replace "unrepairable" faults.

They reputedly will take Hi-cap S&W mags, also. I haven't tried it wIth mine, as a hi-cap .40 mag is only thirteen rounds, instead of ten. The point of this gun is to be small, powerful, and cheap.

I detailed mine, going through it and removing burrs here and there on the frame. More reflections of the purchase price, that didn't interefer with function.

They're kind of a pain to field-strip. The spring-loaded metal slide rails at the back of the gun are HARD to squeeze in on mine, and generally require a small vise or a parrallel clamp to hold them in while you fight against the recoil spring to line up the notches so you can pull the rear of the slide up and off. It's too stiff to do with my fingers. The front of the slide is located by the gas piston, which is hinged like the HK's so you can lif the rear up.

They DO NOT qualify as junk. Heritage Rough Rider SA .22 revolvers are supposed to be mighty good. The manufacturing on the Stealth shows evidence of cutting small corners to keep costs down, but the workmanship is good, and the materials are adequate to the purpose, which cannot be said for pot-metal guns. I really don't regret buying mine, problems and all, and it cost $300 before tax and jumping-through-hoops fees.

Just CHECK THE MAGAZINE FIT BEFORE YOU BUY IT. If the mag hangs down below the frame with a gap of about a sixteenth of an inch, or the mag moves vertically in the gun when it's latched, I'll bet it would have feeding problems. If the mag fits snug, tight up against the frame, I bet that's a good one. And I also think a 9mm would be a bit more forgiving in the feeding department in general than a .40. More room to work with.

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old April 6, 2002, 07:55 AM   #13
Arub

Hand_Rifle_Guy:

Very informative post. Thanks. I may go back and get that Stealth I looked at. Really like the compact size, just put off a little by the safety location. It really looks like it would make an excellent CCW.
Old April 6, 2002, 08:34 AM   #14
Texas2NC

I found this on Google

1000 round Review of Heritage Stealth
Old April 6, 2002, 02:17 PM   #15
toast

Well, I went to a gun show and picked up a NIB Stealth for 172 with tax etc. It fits my hand better then the Kahr p9. The least expensive Kahr was a used E9 for 365 with only one mag.

This leaves some $ for paying off bills.

toast

ps where can I find extra mags?
Old April 6, 2002, 07:09 PM   #16
Hand_Rifle_Guy

Order 'em from Heritage. $20 a pop. I have a plan to order five, one of these years.

Arub, you're welcome, I try to be honest and informative. I try not to condemn something if only one aspect of it's design doesn't work quite right. that doesn't do the whhole concept justice.

That, and I really like the little thing. That's why I bought it.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old April 7, 2002, 11:01 AM   #17
toast

Hand,

I went to the HMI website and they had the mags listed in the parts portion for $20 but the order page does not list them. I emailed them today (Sunday) and asked if they were available. I will post based on there reply.

Do you know what holsters these will fit? It looks like it may fit a G26 but I don't really know.
Old April 7, 2002, 12:15 PM   #18
Hand_Rifle_Guy

Sorry, got no clue on holsters. Mine lives in a case, as it's too dis-functional to carry.

Stealth mags are made by Mec-gar, so if HMI discontinued them, or something equally bad, you might try them.

I suggested HMI because that's where the intruction booklet said to get 'em, via mial order. We'll see what they say to your e-mail, or you might just call them.

Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention these guns have a magazine safety, something that really bugs some people on principal. I personally never notice it outside of dry-fire practice, so it slipped my mind when I wrote the long post. I hope it doesn't make a difference.

Besides, if you're reloading during a civilian fire-fight, you're in way over your head. Definitely a scary thought, to me anyway.

H_R_G
Old April 9, 2002, 05:01 PM   #19
LIProgun

Holster

Toast, I had an IWB made for the Stealth by F.I.S.T. and I am very pleased with it.

Old April 9, 2002, 08:38 PM   #20
toast

Heritage replied to my email, well actually my third, and wrote that the mags are still available for 20 each plus shipping but the have to be ordered over the phone or via mail.

I will have to look into it. I will also have to check out FIST.

thanks
Old April 9, 2002, 09:03 PM   #21
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Gun shop I used to work at was contacted by a lawyer.

Seems his client was shooting a 9mm Heritage Stealth when something went, for lack of a better term, "kaBoom!".

Striker exited rear of slide quite briskly; Mr. Lawyer's client lost an eye.

Mr. Lawyer wanted our 'smith to examine the gun. Ammo was factory, gun was bone stock, as best as could be determined from the remains.

'Far as I know, the case is still in litigation & the lawyer was understandably less than talkative, so you'll pardon the lack of details. This was my first serious look into the guts of one of these guns, and it was less than reassuring to see the way the internals had become fast-moving externals so easily.
Old December 17, 2011, 11:51 AM   #22
Pat Riot

Stealth C2000 9mm

I have owned mine for 10 years now, never had a problem. although I must say it is a back up only! Primary weapon is and always will be the Colt .45 ACP