The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2000, 06:25 PM   #1
Hueco

Ok, need some guidence. I have been shooting trap for a bit over a month now. I am consistently only hitting about 60% -- but it is consistent. I am currently using my dad's Mossberg 500. I want my own shotgun so I can choke it the way I want and get it fit to me. I am 18, 5'8", and a light-weight...only weigh about 125 (on a heavy day). I am thinking of a Browning auto of some sort. I want to pursue trap pretty aggressively, and possibly skeet later on. What do you recommend for me? I am willing to save up and spend enough money for a good gun, but I would like to keep the price under about $1200 -- $1000 if possible. Let me know! Thank you!!

Hueco
Old January 29, 2000, 01:20 AM   #2
sholling

Mossberg makes a fine basic weapon, but they just don't point well enough for trap. I saw a huge improvement in my scores as soon as I switched to a Benelli M1 Super 90. The Benelli points beautifully, and (after a break-in) will reliably feed ultra light trap loads.

The bottom line is you can spend a lot more money but you won't find anything that works better than the Benelli.

[This message has been edited by sholling (edited January 29, 2000).]
Old January 29, 2000, 03:30 AM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Good luck keeping it under that price for a good trap gun.
Old January 29, 2000, 04:51 AM   #4
oberkommando

K80 Where are you? Always asking for questions regarding shotguns with barrels over 18 inches.

For auto would get benelli as it is the only auto I am familiar with but maybe used over and under I like how they point. Good luck.
Old January 29, 2000, 09:48 PM   #5
Hueco

Tonight I went and shouldered a Browning Citori Ultra XT Trap. Ummm, let me just say that I am breathless. It felt like it was made for me! And the porting it is sporting -- very nice. The rib is great! Just right...high -- one feature that is very important to me. I have decided against an auto. If I am going to spend the money, I want an o/u. What are your experiences with this gun (XT Trap)? Good, bad? Thanks for all your help!

Hueco

...and no -- it is NOT within my price range I mentioned before, but for this Browning I will break that price range!
Old January 29, 2000, 10:03 PM   #6
GreybeardB

Hueco,
It would be best to ask,look & test at your local trap club.

Find out who shoots what best & ask them questions......inside the club house.

Most clubs sell & trade guns which you can try out on the line.

If you go with an over/under, it will serve you well in all three disiplines.....16's, handicap & doubles.

Therefore I'd recommend a used Browning Citori double, with invector plus choke tubes, but try to arrange to pattern it before buying.

Later you can move up to a Ljutic & go on to
AAA-27-AA, huh?

Use your Mosberg to hunt rabbits.

------------------
Ralph in In.

[This message has been edited by GreybeardB (edited January 29, 2000).]
Old January 29, 2000, 11:07 PM   #7
Hueco

Suuure...Ljutic -- no problem! I will simply spend no money between now and my funeral and a brand new one can adorn my casket. Haha -- just having a Browning would be something for me! One thing to mention, I shoot fairly quickly. The birds are no where near their top; I shoot when they are still climbing fast. I could probably hit more if I didn't trigger so fast, but I would rather be fast now and not so hot than slow now and a bit hotter. Does any of that affect the purchase? My main direction right now is heading towards double-trap. The search is almost as much fun as shooting!! I sure do learn a lot when I am researching. Thanks again!

Hueco
Old January 30, 2000, 12:04 AM   #8
K80Geoff

OK Oberkommando, here I am. Had trouble getting on TFL for the last two days.

Hueco, if the Citori fits, shoot it!

Of course, after you have shot Trap for a while, you will probably want a Ljutic or Perazzi. So be prepared to mortgage the Ranch! (Don't say I didn't warn you). Everybody thinks they will stick with their original gun, nobody ever does.

The main complaint with citori's is the inertial triggers. If the first barrel doesnt fire the triggers will not reset for the second shot. You may eventually want to have mechanical triggers installed if this is a problem. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT get into the habit of bouncing the gun on the ground to set the second barrel, I see guys do this all the time and it is dangerous.

O/U's are great guns, you made a good choice, buy it and shoot!

Finally! Some conversation about Real shotguns

Geoff Ross
Old January 30, 2000, 03:18 PM   #9
Hueco

Well, the trap-bug has really bitten me hard. It will take some time to get enough money for whatever shotgun I end up with, so I can be honing my shooting during this time. I also started reloading recently, so I can play with loads a bit and be more prepared to get the right ones quickly for the new gun when it comes. One question, what kind of problems would present themselves if I went hunting with that XT Trap? Is it even suitable to double as a hunter? Thanks once again!

And for the record -- as soon as I am done posting, I am going to Ljutic's page to have a look-around.

Hueco