The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 19, 2002, 12:20 PM   #1
The Barron

How "long range" can I expect to shoot a .243?

Just got a Steyr SBS in .243
I love it. I shoot dime size groups at 100yrds

My question is how far I can expect to shoot with repeatability. I know that most hunters will not attempt to take game past 300 yrds. I will be punching paper, so really don't need to worry about kill zones.

I have also read that some shooters, who know what they are doing, can hit out to about 800yrds on a regular basis with a .243. Is this true? I would like to enhance my long range ability, and would like to know at what distance I should strive for. What type of ammo should I use, 55grain? 100grain? BT?

I am a new shooter, so any comments are very welcome.

~~Oh yeah, this is also my first post!! Great site you got here, the best I have seen.~~
Old March 19, 2002, 12:38 PM   #2
Crimper-D

Using 85gr Reloads

I've been able to shoot groundsquirrels at 250yds using a 6X scope. Beyond that range, the optics would need to be stronger or the target larger !
Old March 19, 2002, 12:39 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Not exactly my field, but I do know that some target shooters have used .243s. The National Match Course is shot at 200, 300, and 600 yards. Targets are sized so that a centered MOA group will score 10s. The longer the range, the heavier the bullet, in general. But it has to stabilize in your twist, so a stock barrel would likely be best with 100 grain bullets. Assuming that they shot accurately.

I 'spect a real target shooter will come along with more information, but that ought to get you started.
Old March 19, 2002, 12:57 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Hokay. You've learned what your rifle will do at 100 yards. Now, start to work up to the longer ranges; don't just jump in on the very-long distances.

It'll take some time to learn what your rifle likes, insofar as 300-yard or 400-yard accuracy.

As a generality, if the bullets prove to stabilize with the twist rate of your barrel, a boat-tailed bullet works best at long range.

Even if you don't handload your own ammunition, there is a wealth of information about cartridge and rifle designs and exterior ballistics in the Sierra reloading handbook. I think it's around $30, but it has the best treatment of the various factors that come into play.

$0.02, Art
Old March 19, 2002, 02:07 PM   #5
The Barron

Thanks for the posts.

I have a Simmons Aetec 3.8-12X44 Ill A/O scope.

Will it be able to do the job at 600 or 800 yrds?
Old March 19, 2002, 04:12 PM   #6
stuckatwork

I have never taken a 243 out to 600 or 800 yards. What I can tell you is I shoot shiloutte with a 243. I have hit steel rams at 500 yards. The 80 grain bullets that I use don't have the umph left to knock them over by the time they get there.

As mentioned in an earlier post, longer the distance, the heavier the bullet.
Old March 19, 2002, 08:35 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

If your scope's crosshairs cover 1/4" at 100 yards, that's 1-1/2" at 600. Might be a bit coarse for precision aiming. As far as seeing the target and splitting it into quarters, no problem. I shoot at my 22" plates at 500 yards with 10X and have done fairly well for groups.

Art
Old March 19, 2002, 09:14 PM   #8
Mike Baugh

As far as repeatability you are the most important component.

Back in the early 60's my father used a .300 mag to hunt out west. He was a small man and it punished him but all the guys in his hunting party used .300's or 30-06's. He was getting tired of the recoil and bought a new model 70 in .243 with a Balvar 8 [Bausch and Lomb] scope, every one laughed at him until he took the first deer that year, a mule deer at a little over 500 yards [they paced it off]. The guys all said it folded and dropped like it was hit with a hammer. The next year there was nothing but .243's and .270's in the camp. I would not be afraid to have that caliber for an all around rifle to use out to 450-500 yards as long as you were shooting targets or deer size and smaller game. Good luck, Mike...