The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 18, 2002, 09:41 PM   #1
Glamdring

Anyone use CCI's Quick shock 22 rf?

Wonder how well the 22 QS works on varmints at close range, does it offer any advantage over a Stinger?
Old March 18, 2002, 11:28 PM   #2
ballistic gelatin

Quick Shock is pre-fragmented right? So when it goes in, it goes crazy creating multiple wound channels. Over the weekend I had a Federal .22 hollow point ricochet back at me and nick my support hand. Got a little bit carried away with rapid fire from my little S&W 2213 on a 10' target.
Old March 19, 2002, 12:46 PM   #3
Dave R

Jody Hudson did extensive "vegetable testing" with the QUick Shoks and was very impressed. I have tried them in my rifle at paper, and they were as accurate as anything. Have not tried them on self-propelled targets.
Old March 19, 2002, 06:49 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Coupla things I look for in .22LR ammo: how's the accuracy & how's the price.

For almost any .22LR applications, any ol' (but accurate) loading will work quite well if you put the bullet where it's supposed to go, & no real need for any HPs neither.

Depending on what you'd call a "varmit," may just be that it's too big for a .22LR anyway & no amount of "specialty ammo" will make up for the "lack." Some things a .22LR wasn't meant to do.

No flames, etc. intended. I just see some hype sometimes that tries to make a .22LR into something it isn't.
Old March 20, 2002, 10:38 PM   #5
stinger

ditto, labgrade

most 22lr's are the same with regards to killing power. there are some exceptions, but for the most part i believe this rule applies.