The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 18, 2002, 04:57 PM   #1
ballistic gelatin

Can I shoot 22 short in a 22 LR chamber?

Can I shoot 22 short in a 22 LR chamber? Pistol, rifle or revolver? How about automatic versus single shot/bolt action.
Old March 18, 2002, 05:10 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

In general, yes. With semi-auto's, you may or may not get the action to cycle reliably with the odds going against it if the semi is set up specifically for long rifle. With revolvers and bolt actions, you'll probably never have a problem.
Old March 18, 2002, 05:13 PM   #3
Watch-Six

Yes, you can. The gun may not feed them from the magazine, especially with an autoloader. In a revolver or bolt action single shot they are A-ok. Watch-Six
Old March 18, 2002, 05:35 PM   #4
629 shooter

Some lever actions like my Marlin 39AS will also handle shorts , longs and long rifles.
Old March 18, 2002, 06:59 PM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

I'd have been lost if not - - -

My Dad gave me a Remington 512 when I was about 11, I think. Marked ".22 S, L, & LR" right on the chamber. With it came two boxes of Remington .22 Shorts. Only stipulation was that I had to buy my own ammo, and, for a time, shoot and hunt only with Dad present. He had a Stevens-Springfield Model 87 which only used LR, and he would sometimes give me a few of his cartridges to shoot. Man, it was like shooting a magnum! Of course, I kept a box of LR HP for rabbit hunting, but the shorts were fine for plinking cans and lizards at the dump.

Some will tell you that "excessive" use of shorts in an LR chamber will cause throat errosion. May be true, but it is not so bad as shooting hot .38 Spls in a .357 mag chamber, and we ALL do that. Seriously, though--the bigger problem is that a build-up of lead at front of the chamber may make chambering LRs difficult. Ought to throughly clean with solvent and a brush if you've been shooting a lot of shorts.

Have fun! I certainly did.

Best,
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old March 18, 2002, 07:42 PM   #6
Commander Fan

The throat errosion Johnny is talking about is the result of the unobstructed 'jump' the bullet encounters, within the distance between the cartridge and the chamber's shoulder.

While looking into the breech end of the barrel, you will notice where the chamber ends and the rifling begins. With a standard long-rifle cartride, the bullet sits at, or near, engagement of the rifling, and begins rotation the instant the cartridge begins it's detonation. With a short round, the bullet is sent at full speed into the shoulder of the chamber, producing wear after prolonged practice.

In theory, this 'ledge' encounter will cause minor destabilization and deformation of the non-jacketed bullet, thus reducing accuracy. Although not directly related, a similar result occurs when firing .38 Spc loads in a .357 Mag chambered revolver. But in this case, it is because of the longer travel within the over-bore cylinder chamber. The bullet has a longer distance to become 'off-yaw'. Here, the forcing cone of the revolver's barrel can be compared the the shoulder of the .22 long-rifle chamber.

In both cases, it's the extended 'free travel' that's the diminishing accuracy factor.

All that said, I have fired a couple hundred 'short' rounds through my Stevens Favorite which reads, ".22 Long Rifle Only", on the barrel. I have not noticed any reduction in accuracy or excessive shoulder wear.

Good Luck
Old March 18, 2002, 07:50 PM   #7
rock_jock

Commander,

Great explanation! Thanks. Posts like yours are why I like this site so much.