The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2002, 03:40 AM   #1
nova

marlin slug gun

I was just on the marlin web site and I couldn't find their slug gun. What is the deal with them, first it was the goose gun, now the slug gun. Are they going to just quit with shotguns?
Old March 17, 2002, 12:58 AM   #2
topstrap

I hope they still keep selling it, I use one for the local Turkey Shoots in the fall, I looked at all of them but liked it the best. Mine will really shoot, it's a bit picky with slugs, found Federal 1oz. works the best out of the cheap rifled slug catagory but the Lightfields will cut that group size in half at 100 yards.

We have a lot of crybabies at the matches so a lot of us will use the cheaper rifled slugs to make them happy but it still all comes down to the shooter for the most part.

If you're thinking of getting one I highly recommend them, I did do a trigger job on it and if you take the fiber stock off (mine is the fiber stock model) you'll find a nice space in the front of the forend that will hold about a pound of lead if you cut it just right to help make it a bit heavier for making it hold steadier offhand and it also helps a bit on recoil for those days you shoot 30 or so matches.

Good Luck