The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old February 27, 2002, 08:48 PM   #1
MadScientist

Do you have to register handguns in CA?

I'm not talking about concealed carry. Just want to know if you can own a handgun without the govn't having to know about it (legally).
Old February 27, 2002, 08:49 PM   #2
SDforce

yes
Old February 27, 2002, 09:46 PM   #3
rysai

no way that i can think of mad scientist...

every firearm purchase requires a 10-day wait period that is supposedly for the doj to check your background...

private party transfers have to be reported in 14 days if i remember correctly...
Old February 27, 2002, 09:58 PM   #4
ryucasta

This should answer your questions.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#25

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old February 28, 2002, 03:19 AM   #5
Jim March

When you buy 'em, they must be registered.

When you bring them into the state, you have 60 days (I think it is?) to register 'em. There are signs at the border crossings to that effect.

It's still possible to own old guns that you (or your immediate family) bought before the registration requirements went into effect...without registering them.

HOWEVER: if you're caught illegally carrying a gun without a CCW permit, it's a misdemeanor on the first bust ONLY if it's registered to you!!! (And you lack a felony/violent misdemeanor record, of course, and weren't in possession of drugs or other contraband at the time of the carry bust.)

So there's one strong incentive to register.

If you can actually score a CCW permit, the agency will usually require you to list only registered handguns on your permit.
Old February 28, 2002, 12:10 PM   #6
olazul

Registration is strictly voluntary except for "assault weapons"

From the CA DOJ link posted-

"24. How do I know if my firearms need to be registered?
There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you may submit a voluntary registration form to the DOJ for any firearm you own. Having a voluntary registration on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, a DROS is required on all firearm transactions "

Regards,

Olazul

Old February 28, 2002, 03:53 PM   #7
deej

...and "personal handgun importers"; to wit, anyone who brings a handgun, not previously registered in the state, into California.

DJ
"Thus, the particular phraseology of the Constitution of the United States confirms and strengthens the principle, supposed to be essential to all written Constitutions, that a law repugnant to the Constitution is void, and that courts, as well as other departments, are bound by that instrument."

- Chief Justice Marshall, Marbury v. Madison