The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2002, 06:56 PM   #1
Redhook

.45ACP brass, what to accept vs. reject

I'm setting up to load .45ACP for the first time and was sorting though most of my once fired brass. I was mainly looking for neck and head problems, but I found a few with a very short perpendicular crease about midway down the brass. I assume that this came from the case catching the sharp edge at the top of the slide outside the ejection port. This crease also forms a little bubble on the inside of the case.

While this crease or dent is very small, should I reject these cases? What else should I look for?

-Red-
Old February 23, 2002, 07:09 PM   #2
jjmorgan64

Best place to start is to throw away anything that says A-MERC

JM
Old February 23, 2002, 08:58 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Nah, Redhook, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're loading for max accuracy, you could segregate these out as plinkers, if the crease doesn't disappear when resizing.

I've had tired brass split, slightly, when seating bullets--really tired brass. I just go on and shoot them and then throw the case away.

That's the good thing about low-pressure loads. You can get away with stuff you wouldn't begin to try with a rifle or a .357.

, Art
Old February 24, 2002, 03:30 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

"WHEN IN DOUBT THROW IT OUT"

Lesseenow, a range-ratted case costs ZERO, so if it seems slightly too used, or questionable IN ANY WAY, maybe I should toss it and just move on................

You can reuse 45ACP cases with small dents, dings, creases, and nicks, but please consider my title thought..............