The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 1999, 10:05 AM   #1
PaulM

They have an 8 shot Mossberg 500 w/heatshield and Parkerizing for $200. Sounds like a good deal to me, is it? With it's shorter barrel would it be ok for skeet?
It also has a cylinder bore choke while the other 500s have an Accu-choke. Isn't the cyl bore better?
Old September 18, 1999, 06:53 AM   #2
Woody

The mossberg 500 series with the extended magazine (8 shot versus 6 shot) will not take the standard Mossberg barrels, with a changeble choke, or a fixed chokes mod. or full, which negates your ability to easily change barrels for hunting and self deffense.
You can shoot skeet with a 20in. barrel but it will not be easy. If I were you I would look at the mossberg combo gun it comes with a standard 500 with 6 shot magazine, and either a 26" or 28" barrel for hunting, and a 18" barrel and pistol grip for deffense. I own one pf these kits and it worked out great but I don't use the pistol grip. To change from hunter to deffender take off long barrel turn gun upside down shake out the plug and install short barrel.