The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 1999, 04:04 PM   #1
Pipper

Well, it looks like the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500-590 are the main suggestions for a first time home defense shotgun. From what I can see, however, is that these two guns are pump action. Since my wife will need to use the gun as well, an autoloader may work better for her. Do these two weapons come as autoloaders as well? If not, please advise as to a good autoloader that sells between $200-500 (maybe that's too cheap for an autoloader, I don't know).

Thanks
Old August 31, 1999, 04:11 PM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Pipper,

The 870 and 500/590 are strictly pumpguns.

Remington's 1100 and 11-87 are excellent (IMNSHO). Mossberg's 9200 is another good auto, but it's expensive and hard to find (at least around here).

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper
Old August 31, 1999, 08:45 PM   #3
K80Geoff

I presume that recoil is a consideration for your wife. In that case the best autoloader is the Remington 1100, but good luck finding one for under $400.00 that still shoots. The 11-87 (Known around here as the Lemon-87) is more expensive and more trouble prone. Don't know much about the Mossberg autos but they rarely show up on clays ranges and this is usually a sign of poor quality (word gets out among clays shooters very quickly about trouble prone guns).

Most of the other autos are more expensive, even used, and except for Beretta and Browning parts may be a problem. (And with autos parts are always a problem!)

One good auto that occasionally surfaces is the Winchester Super-X1 but they usually get snapped up by collectors and shooters. Don't know much about the new Winchester Super X2 but have heard that it is a clone of the Browning Gold.

Browning Auto 5 and clones, Benellis and Franchis are all recoil operated and kick like a pump.

My .02 cents

Geoff Ross

------------------
Damn!...I need more practice!
Old August 31, 1999, 08:53 PM   #4
Long Path

I'm very fond of the Remington 1148 as a riot gun, due not only to its reliabilty, but also its one-action charging technique. When you need to charge this long-recoil shotgun, you merely yank back the bolt handle, and let go. You're ready to roll.

1100's and 11-87's, you then need to hit the bolt release under the receiver, which is one more thing to do in a tense situation.

Felt recoil on an 1148 is slightly higher than the gas-operated shotguns, but it's still far less than a pump gun of the same guage and weight.
Old August 31, 1999, 11:54 PM   #5
fubsy

Id go with a remington 1187 in 12GA or a mdl 1100 in 20ga........the other semi's are very good semiauto the benellis are high cost and recoil more, the beretta 1201 can be found around $500 but it recoils heavy.
The design of the 1187 absorbs some of that recoil although it still kicks.....the mdl 1100 in 20ga can be found in my area in excellent condition for around $450, although there not normally set up for personal defense, the 1187 is an improved design on the 1100 so they both absorb some of the recoil..........heck i like 20ga's there easy to recover from recoil which allows another aimed shot quicker than the recoil from a 12 ga escpecially if you or your wife wont practice alot....fubsy.
Old October 23, 2008, 03:48 AM   #6
Web Designing

Which Autoloader for Home Defense?

I would go with the pump. Autoloading shotguns have improved over the years, but the pump is still more reliable, and lighter. And the simple racking of a pump shotguns slide is enough to deter many would-be burglars.
Old October 23, 2008, 04:12 AM   #7
dchi

Both me and a buddy picked some used 1100's on gunbroker for $225 and $255. Add $20 for shipping and $15 for transfer. They had scratches and some minor rust on them. Mine worked fine and I cut it down to 18". His need some new gas seals but it only cost $11. Both work great now. Mine with 18" and works with everything EXCEPT the lightest 12ga target shell. Works with all buck, slugs and high brass. I've put about 250 rounds thru it without problem. I let my wife shoot it with light loads but she still thought it kicked too much. She is small, so we are going to a 20GA.

BTW it works with light loads, just not the lightest loads. It did before I cut the barrel. Hope this helps.
Old October 23, 2008, 04:34 AM   #8
10-96

Pipper,
I know folks are gonna get tired of me rattlin on about 'em, but if your Missus is a little on the technically challenged side as far as buttons, knobs, and complicated mechanicals- there's not much that can go wrong with these- http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...coach_guns.php.
Simple interface- just slide the safety off, point, and shoot. It's in your price range, and will work with even the lightest of shells.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old October 23, 2008, 08:34 AM   #9
123kiwi

Beretta 1201fp, google it, youll like it...
Old October 23, 2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Ferd

saiga 20 or 410 for your wife. low recoil,great autoloader
Old October 23, 2008, 07:26 PM   #11
guntotinguy

I agree with the S20 and S410...we have these and they work easier when my wife is shooting them...oftimes the Mossberg 500a and the 870 recoil can be a bit much.
Old October 23, 2008, 07:42 PM   #12
orionengnr

Quote:
And the simple racking of a pump shotguns slide is enough to deter many would-be burglars.
Yet another widely-stated Internet myth.
Great way to give away your position and at the same time relinquish the element of surprise...consider it another way of shouting "Here I am--Not only am I unwilling to actually defend myself, I am unable as well!" Maybe you could tie a French flag to the barrel and wave the gun instead?

You are either justified in shooting or you are not--your state's laws will dictate this for you. If you are not justified in shooting (generally determined to be "in fear of your life or great bodily harm") then this is a non-issue. If you are justified in shooting, and you are racking and hoping to scare the bad guy away, don't be surprised to find rounds coming your way while you are waiting for "the desired effect" to occur...

Note to self--check GunBroker for cheap 1100s...
Old October 24, 2008, 06:00 PM   #13
10-96

Agreed. If it's time to shoot- then it's time to shoot. If it ain't, then it ain't. People do funny things while under dire stress. If a less than confident shooter is seasoned to 'expect' the BG to flee in fear at the sound of a racking shotgun, and the BG does not flee- that opens the door to the fatal room of hesitation and confusion... "Oh crap, the BG is not fleeing, might be on drugs, why won't he flee? Here, I'll rack the slide again... and again... and ag..."

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old October 24, 2008, 09:43 PM   #14
Smitty in CT

Mossberg 930 - 5-shots, 18.5" barrel.

Thesre are more and more aftermarket parts for these every day....

Bud's Gun Shop has them for $423, delivered....
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/55294

Or, you can try and find a 930 SPX (8-shot) that already has the "bells & whistles"...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old October 24, 2008, 10:28 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For durable, high quality, all function with little dazzle the Mossberg line up is hard to beat. Unlike the Chinese offerings you shouldn't ever have to worry about parts availability and service personnel. The Mossbergs are known for reliability and durability at fair prices.
Good luck pickin' your weapon...
And if you choose to store it with empty chamber... do it for the right reason and not for the fantasy land poop yer britches fear inducing sound of the slide racking a round. I personally chose a full HOT loaded pump shotgun for the above mentioned reason of stealth. If some one is in my home uninvited I expect deadly force from one of us and it may as well be from ME... THE AUTHORIZED OCCUPANT OF THIS HOME!
I don't want my invader to be scared by my gun... I don't want him to know I am even alerted to his presence. He gets one verbal announcement from me and not until I have a bead on his torso.
Brent
Old October 24, 2008, 11:20 PM   #16
guntotin_fool

Go buy an 1100. I personally know of two that have over a half million rounds thru them. Find a good gun shop who has someone who can show you what needs to be oiled and what needs to be clean, and you will never be sorry.

I have a 1100 20 gauge that has never repeat never failed to go bang when the trigger is pulled.
Old October 25, 2008, 05:50 AM   #17
publius

Longpath, I'm an 11-48 man myself. Don't trust the 1100 as far as I can throw it for reliability, but I remember (perhaps incorrectly) that it will throw a round straight into the chamber when racked with rounds in the mag?
Old October 26, 2008, 08:39 PM   #18
vitesse9

Gas Operated v. Recoil Operated

The Remington autos are gas operated. Benelli M1 and M2s are recoil operated. My m1 super 90 has cycled everything I've ever fed it: 3" mags down to light 2 3/4" target loads. The recoil (benelli calls it inertia) action is easier to clean and more reliable. I think a pump gun is a better choice over any auto format. But, if you must have an auto, consider the benelli family of inertia driven guns. I find them as reliable as pump guns. And cleaning gas systems is a PITA.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:03 PM   #19
JTMcC

My Dear old Mom has a loaded 1100 with the short remington barrel, all Mom has to do is release the safety and pull the trigger, Why add an extra step for an elderly woman, in the dark, under duress?
She's 72 years old and 4'-10 3/4" tall with arthitus. But still able to handle the 1100 well.

JTMcC.

I'll add that my wife has had a 590 since the mid 80's, and it's pretty difficult for my Mom to cycle.
Old October 29, 2008, 03:57 PM   #20
mpage

Quote:
Yet another widely-stated Internet myth.
I wouldn't say that it's a myth; I think if your average crook heard the slide racking, he would bail. Hey, it's worth a try...

As to my preference, I sometimes use a Remington Model 11, which is recoil-operated. They're relatively inexpensive; the thread starter may want to look into that.
Old October 29, 2008, 04:05 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If I rack my 500's slide I lose one of 6 rounds... I think the sound of a slide racking FOLLOWING a shot is much more effective...
Brent
Old November 14, 2008, 01:22 PM   #22
Pipper

WOW! I started this thread 9 years ago, and it's going again! Thanks for all of the great info. I've been enjoying my mossberg 590 for the last 9 years.
Old November 14, 2008, 01:39 PM   #23
10-96

Whodathunkit?
I usually look at all the post dates- guess I had an operator headspace issue.
Glad to hear it's still a good'n. Have you added any to your collection since?

Old November 14, 2008, 10:35 PM   #24
Pipper

No more shotguns, but I've got 2 ar15's, glock 20 and 36, kahr pm9, SA XD 45 tactical, and an HK USP Compact 40. I'm thinking about an SW M&P in 9mm.