The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 18, 2002, 04:36 PM   #1
Badger Arms

SKS and Detachable Mag Solution!

I've had an SKS Detatchable magazine sitting around for a while but have never used it. One of the reasons is that I don't like having to manually hold that bolt open and try and get the magazine out. I knew what the problem was, but just finally got around to fixing it. Here's what you do:

Tools:

1) Dremmel Tool with Grinding, sanding, and polishing wheels.
2) Safety Glasses.

Procedures:

-- With bolt gripped in padded vice, grind away the ridge "D"/"H" on the bolt as shown in photographs. Note that these photographs are of a standard SKS bolt and a Factory SKS-D bolt. These are the examples I followed. Note that you often have to grind back further than you think as shown in comparrison of "A" and "B".
-- Once you have ground away that ridge, reassemble the gun. Your aftermarket 'tang' magazines should insert and remove with the bolt open, closed, in, out, or any position inbetween. I modified a single gun. The rest of my SKS's are Russians and I don't want to tinker with them.

Why it works:

-- The ridges "D"/"H" ride inside the feed lips on the factory and aftermarket magazines. This prevents the magazine from being removed. By grinding the ridges to the same level as slot "C" you allow the magazine to be withdrawn with the bolt closed. Note that the Bolt Carrier of the SKS-D lacks the stripper clip guide shown in "X" and "Y".

I hope that you find this guide useful. I am NOT a licensed gumsmith. Modification of the weapon might void your warranty, violate laws, and make your gun unsafe. These instructions are for informational purposes only.

Click Here for Pictures and Instructions

Last edited by Badger Arms; February 18, 2002 at 05:32 PM.
Old February 18, 2002, 07:08 PM   #2
No4Mk1*

"Modification of the weapon might void your warranty"

Which SKS has a warranty?
Old February 18, 2002, 08:54 PM   #3
Badger Arms

Elifino? If you buy them through Davidsons or CIA I believe you get a warranty. Many wholesalers are known to do this. Maybe you can send them back to China or Russia and they'll fix 'em for you?
Old February 20, 2002, 02:21 PM   #4
Badger Arms

Since posting, I've been informed that another source on the internet had already posted this as part of their "Conversion" to take AK magazines. Yes, it'll work for this too but you have to have a welding torch, some patience, and the desire to ruin your gun in order to convert it to AK magazines. Either that or you have a great deal of skill and experience.

Either way, let me state that what I've posted is STRICTLY to allow the aftermarket high-capacity magazines to be withdrawn from the gun with the bolt closed. If you want to take it a step beyond, do so at your own risk!