The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 15, 2002, 08:47 PM   #1
Redlg155

Ruger 44 Mag...pre 1985 production scope mounts

I am trying to find out what is the correct weaver scope mount # to put on this rifle.

Thanks!
RED
Old February 15, 2002, 08:48 PM   #2
Redlg155

Oops..I neglected to add.."Carbine" in my original post.

Good Shooting
RED
Old February 15, 2002, 09:30 PM   #3
keano44

The scope mounts I used on my Ruger .44 Carbine are see-thru mounts. They are Holden Ironsighter's #719 for the front, and #720 for the rear. I do not know if these are still available, as I've had them nearly 20 years. I know these aren't Weaver mounts, but I hope this information is of help.
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44
Old February 15, 2002, 10:22 PM   #4
BluRidgDav

I'm in the process of scoping one of these older .44 Carbines, too. Since the front base mounts on the barrel and the rear on the receiver, they're slightly different in height, so that the scope will sit level. The Weaver bases made for this gun are:

Front: #68 (aluminum, blue), 68M (alum, matte) or #68S (Grand Slam, steel, matte)
Rear: #47, #47M or #47S

From Brownell's $4-6 for the alum, $16-23 for GS steel, plus $16-23 (a) or $41-59 (GS) for a pair of rings. The GS are beautiful and very stout, but $$$ and HEAVY.

These bases are what I would call medium-to-high. (especially the GS, which don't come in LOW rings) If you're using a scope with an large objective bell, these will be fine. But I want to mount my scope as low as possible. So I had Weaver e-mail me their spec-sheet. Turns out #21 & #46 have the correct height difference, and 1/8" lower. I'll have to open up (file/grind) the bottoms to match the receiver/barrel contours. At $4-6, I'll risk ruining a pair.

You could also go with Leupold or Burris rings on these bases, but they're also med-high, so I'm going with Weaver Low aluminum.

Hope this helps.
Old February 15, 2002, 10:35 PM   #5
Redlg155

Thanks for the info guys!

I've got to do some rebluing and wood refinishing to get her up to factory pristine condition, but I think she will be well worth it.

I'm going to most likely be mounting a 44mm scope on it. I really like the extra light gathering qualities of the larger objective scopes.

Good Shooting
RED