The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 14, 1999, 09:53 PM   #1
JKump

Does anyone have exprience with the Winchester 1300 Defender? How does it compare with Rem. 870?
Old May 15, 1999, 07:45 AM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi Jkump, Shot the 1300 a few dozen times and own two 1200s. I do like the smoothness of the action, but the biggest drawback to the Winchesters is the relative lack of accessories. You can get stuff, you simply have to look much harder. Or mail order. As a for instance, I don't know if Laser Products makes lights for the 1300. The 870, yes. If you can get the gun at a substantial discount when compared to an 870, go for it. If the price is close, I'd go with the Remington. Please note that one is not better than the other, the 870 is just a heck of a lot more popular. Giz
Old May 15, 1999, 11:52 AM   #3
Marcus

I have an 870 which I like very much,a friend just bought a 1300 Defender. I was really impressed with the smoothness of the action and the speed and ease at which it can be fired rapidly. Although my 870 is an older one that`s seen quite some use and is exceptionally smooth and I practice with it often I shot his faster and smoother the first time I picked it up! I`m not about the sell my 870 to get a Winchester but if I was starting over I just might choose the Win. over the Remington. Although there aren`t as many accesories for the Winchester there are still lots of them IMO it`s not a major issue but you may want to check and see if the particular ones you may be interested in are available for it. Marcus
Old May 15, 1999, 03:52 PM   #4
spleenandideal

I own a 1200 and 1300 defender. I'd give the edge to the older gun, although the 1300 is a great buy. As mentioned before, the 1300 has very few accessories, but if you need the toys, then stick to the Remington. But for true smoothness of action, I'd vote for the old Model 12.

I was also given a 1300 black shadow turkey-gun with a 22" barrel and a matte all-black finish. This is the shotgun I go for first if ever I need to defend my home, because it is so cheap and quite homely looking, which helps when the LEOs start questioning my motives.
Old May 16, 1999, 07:21 AM   #5
STEVE M

Laser products does make a light for the 1300, the trick is finding one. Side saddle shell carriers are make for it also.

[This message has been edited by STEVE M (edited May 16, 1999).]
Old May 17, 1999, 10:06 AM   #6
jimmy

I like the Winchester Defender and have found it to be well-built, reliable, and a good value for the money.

I've had only one probem with a Defender. I made the mistake of firing 3-inch 12-gauge magnum loads in my factory pistol-grip Defender. The recoil shattered the nylon trigger housing (my guess is that the housing impacted the grip). USRA replaced the housing under warranty. But since then I've stayed with shoulder-stock versions exclusively.
Old May 20, 1999, 07:33 PM   #7
JKump

Just to let everyone know I am know the proud daddy of a Winchester 1300 Defender. I can't wait to take it out and let it play a bit.
Old May 20, 1999, 07:55 PM   #8
Rob Pincus

I bought one when I was in college. My budget was tight back then and it was the first "evil" long gun... it took me a couple years to get my AR..... I've put thousands of round through it over the years, many of them high brass, and I've never had a problem with it.

This gun road around in the back of various vehicles for a number of years. Its been abused and held up well.

They are well made, reliable guns.

------------------
-Essayons
Old May 22, 1999, 08:21 PM   #9
HeadHunter

The Winchester 1300 was recommended to me by an instructor at the Rogers Shooting School, where the shooting and reloading is fast and furious. I bought it and really like it; the only thing I had to do was smooth one sharp edge in the loading port. It's a great shotgun.
Old June 3, 1999, 02:32 PM   #10
Matt19

I have a Winchester Defender and I am in agreement with everyone else who has posted. It is a great shotgun, and accessories are hard to find. You could hardly go wrong in purchasing one.

------------------
If what you know, isn't what you do, then your training is incomplete.