The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2002, 10:59 PM   #1
RugerSAfan

Reloading resouces in N. Virginia?

May be moving to the Loudoun / Fairfax County area in Northern Virginia. Any recommended dealers / stores for reloading equipment/supplies in this area?
Old February 12, 2002, 12:52 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Quite frankly, the selection is NOT very good.

Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly has some stuff, but it's very pricy.

The Loading Bench in Annandale has a decent selection, but the prices are even higher than Blue Ridge, and the attitude of the owner is, quite frankly, not really deserving of business. The two times I was in there he was more interested in chatting with cronies than he was in selling stuff.

Your best best is really either gun shows or mail order.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 12, 2002, 11:09 AM   #3
griz

If you get close to Richmond stop by Green Top. It's on Route 1 just north of 295. Good reloading selection and they let you drool over racks and racks of rifles.
Old February 12, 2002, 11:56 AM   #4
swampy

Gilbert Small Arms Range, in Lorton carries some supplies. Shooter's Paradise in Woodbridge carries some supplies and is a Dillon dealer
Old February 12, 2002, 04:17 PM   #5
renaissance7697

As "Swampy" said.........
Gilberts in Lorton and Shooters in

There is a show within 30 min just about every weekend.
That's where the good prices on components are.
Old February 14, 2002, 05:23 PM   #6
Tree Rat

If your willing to drive to Richmond why not go to the the Showplace gunshow on 2/3 March and check out TNT's
set-up......best retail prices I've seen. (TNTreloading.com). Tree Rat.
Old April 6, 2002, 12:59 PM   #7
RugerSAfan

Been out here almost 4 weeks.

Went into Loudon Guns in Leesburg. Very impressed.
Open layout, with decent supply of firearms. They aren't cheap, but all the gun supplies I saw were top drawer. Very attentive service, also.
Old April 6, 2002, 01:21 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Another good one is Virginia Arms in Manassas (Rt. 28 S). They carry Dillon stuff. The staff is knowledgeable, attentive and friendly.

I agree with Mike about The Loading Bench on prices and attitude. I did them a favor by buying quite a bit from them about 6 years ago, haven't been back since.
Old April 6, 2002, 03:58 PM   #9
NG Bruce

If you get over to Warrenton VA there is a very nice store just outside of town at Opal (on US17). Clark Bros., they have a nice selection of all types of guns and ammo, including good reloading pricing. If you don't see it, ask - most stock is in the back. A nice trip is a visit to Greentop at Glen Allen and a visit to Clark Bros. at Opal. NG Bruce
Old April 6, 2002, 04:50 PM   #10
Aion

I can add my recommendation for VA Arms in Manassas, and a qualified one for Loudoun Guns (no problems, just not first-rate like Bernie and the guys as VA Arms); as well as a thumbs down for friendliness and prices at BRA. Only reason I go there is the range. I haven't been to Clark Bros in some 20 years, so can't comment there.

I'm not a reloader, so can't remark on who's got what, but I believe Loudoun Guns has a wider selection of reloading stuff than VA Arms. I'd go to LG for the reloading stuff and maybe for ammo (prices slightly better), but I can't recommend VA Arms enough for service and good advice.

So far, I've bought two handguns from LG (counting the Vaquero I'm picking up this month), two handguns and two long guns from VA Arms since December.

Based on your moniker, are you into CAS? I'm getting interested, and I understand there's a local SASS group in the Fairfax area that shoots at NRA once a month. Just an FYI...

- Aion (in Ashburn)
Old April 9, 2002, 07:24 PM   #11
RugerSAfan

Aion -

No, I'm not into CAS. Looks like a lot of fun, but don't have all the guns (would need a different shotgun, a new lever gun, another blackhawk, or possibly two other fixed sight SA's, plus the leathers, plus the outfits, plus the time....).

Mrs. said enough hobbies... ... Always liked the SA's for their simplicity, and the Rugers for their ruggedness and value... Plus, they are American made!
Old April 10, 2002, 04:39 PM   #12
Poodleshooter

Go to the Richmond Showplace show. The next show is on the first weekend in May. TNT reloading and MAC's Reloads destroy the competition from local gun shops. Most of those local guys order from Midway, Midsouth, Wideners,etc. like we do. The prices reflect that plus overhead.
Old April 10, 2002, 07:44 PM   #13
Tree Rat

Tree Rat said: "If your willing to drive to Richmond why not go to the the Showplace gunshow on 2/3 March and check out TNT's
set-up......best retail prices I've seen. (TNTreloading.com)".

Yeah Ditto Ditto.......the show is 18/19 May. You can call them and pre order for pick-up.

Poodleshooter........that's a funny handle.

Tree Rat.
Old April 10, 2002, 10:16 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

I buy a LOT of stuff from Mac's Reloading.

They're carrying a new line of hardcast lead bullets by a company named Valiant.

Never heard of them before, but I like what I'm seeing from them so far.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.