The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2002, 08:25 AM   #1
Clipper

Small DA/SA or SA 9mm

Who makes a small 9mm in DA/SA or SA? It seems like just about all the small 9mm's are DAO (Walther, Sig, Kel Tec, Kahr, etc.). Are the Mini Glocks DA/SA?

There's got to be a DA/SA or SA 9mm out there somewhere...
Old February 11, 2002, 08:55 AM   #2
Coronach

Define 'small.' The BHP is a full-size 9mm, but for a full-size it is exceedingly small. However, I suspect you mean compact CCW...Steyr S9, Glock?

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old February 11, 2002, 09:02 AM   #3
Clipper

Small as in the smallest 9mm in DA/SA or SA. If the best I can find is a semi-compact 9mm in DA/SA or SA, then I guess I'll have to settle for that. But I'd really like to find the smallest possible.

1st Choice: Compact 9mm in Single Action.

2nd Choice: Semi-Compact 9mm in DA/SA.
Old February 11, 2002, 09:30 AM   #4
lvalley

I have been looking for the same kind of pistol. If I had to describe "small" I would put it between a Colt Pony and a Kahr MK40 Elite 98 favoring the Colt side. Overall length then is about 5.5" and single stack.
Maybe someone could help us both out. A few months ago I held a Llama in .380. I was not looking for a small pistol at the time so I dismissed it, along with its configuration and model number. Anyone know where a site on Llamas can be found??

PS: Be careful with small DAO's(.380 and up) the trigger pulls' can be stiff to say the least. I think, due in part, to the small grip which makes you have to curl your trigger finger really close in. For example, if you have arthritis in that finger forget it. My P239, in DA, is twice as easy as the DAO Colt Pony.
Old February 11, 2002, 09:39 AM   #5
AndABeer

Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 1911-A1. Mine works pretty good.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old February 11, 2002, 09:51 AM   #6
lvalley

The Springfield Ultra weighs 2 lbs and is seven inches long. IMHO a wee bit large for a "small" pistol but not bad. SigP239 is 6 3/4" @26 oz.
Old February 11, 2002, 11:48 AM   #7
Cruzer

You are about to make the case for the DA/SA 380 my friend

A small 9mm, DA/SA just doesn't exist. That is why the 380 is not obsolete...and in fact, sells very well in my area.
Old February 11, 2002, 01:39 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

My favorite is the Star Firestar Plus (alloy frame, which makes it light, compared to the standard Star steel frames).

They are about the same size as the Kel-Tec P-11, have good triggers (which can be made outstanding by any competent gunsmith -- unlike the P-11), and are single-action only, carried cocked and locked.

I've got two -- and a bunch of other pricier 9mms and larger. But the Star is the one I carry most often. (With a nice "tuckable" IWB holster by Wild Bill.)
Old February 11, 2002, 02:25 PM   #9
longeyes

Depending on your definition, the Glock 26 fits the bill, doesn't it?
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old February 11, 2002, 02:32 PM   #10
Cruzer

Hey Walt. Your post made me quite curious about the Firestar. I didn't realize it is no longer available. The other piece of information I found says the Firestar Plus 9mm is 6.5x5.0x1 and 30 ounces. Not quite the size of a P11 (5.6x4.3.1 and 20 ounces). Is this right? 'cause I don't consider that to be "small."
Old February 11, 2002, 05:19 PM   #11
croyance

Hate to mention the company, but how about the compact models of the S&W 39?

And Glocks are not DA/SA or SA, properly speaking. It is striker is partially cocked by the action of the slide.

BTW, post 1000.

"As scarce as the truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand." - Josh Billings

"God and the Mauser" - Kruger war cry
Old February 11, 2002, 05:24 PM   #12
kalibear45

S&W 3913
Old February 11, 2002, 07:33 PM   #13
2kiddad

Star Firestar Plus

I've got one too. Nice pistol. As for size, according to my manual, weight is 24oz empty. With 13+1 capacity, I'll take it over the Keltec P11. My personal preference is SA cocked and locked, so that has something to do with things also.
Old February 11, 2002, 07:40 PM   #14
Cruzer

OK, so 13 rounds of 9mm comes to about 7 oz. Making the Firestar Plus around 31 oz. loaded. Now, I am not a fan of heavy trigger DAOs, so I wasn't questioning whether the Firestar Plus is a good SA gun (sounds very interesting). It just isn't a "small" 9mm in my estimation...
Old February 11, 2002, 07:51 PM   #15
Clipper

solution:

Load it with 6 or 7 rounds instead of 13.

I'm gonna look for a Star at the next gun show...that sounds like a neat lil' gun.
Old February 11, 2002, 08:40 PM   #16
Russell92

some compact sized 9mm's that might fit the bill:

HK P7M8 - it's compact w/ a slim single stack mag and is SA.

HK USP Compact - bigger than the P7 w/ a double stack mag. it can come in either a DA/SA configuration or SA only.

Beretta 9000 - double stack, kinda wide but not that big in other directions. it has a 3 position safety so it can be fired DA/SA or can be carried cocked and locked.

Beretta 8000 mini-cougar - double stack but with a short 2-fingered grip, DA/SA

Sig 239 - slim single stack mag, DA/SA

those are just some that came to mind i'm sure there are more out there.
Old February 11, 2002, 08:45 PM   #17
Skip-2

If you happen to find an Astra A75, you won’t be disappointed. I believe someone is making them again. I can't remember who other board members should be able to fill us in.
Old February 11, 2002, 09:26 PM   #18
Handy

Clipper,

You listed Sig and Walther as DAO. Most compacts from either are DA/SA. Sig 225, 239, 245 and Walther P5.

The firestars were well thought of when available. There are plenty out there used.

The Astra A-75 (DA/SA) was also fairly small. The new South African Rap pistol is an improvement.

S&W makes the new Chiefs Special autos DA/SA.

Beretta makes a chopped 8000 with a short grip.

Hungary's FEG makes a cheap but nice DA/SA. Check out the archived article at Cruffler.com.

Every 1911 company has a chopped model.

I'm sure there are more. No shortage of pistols like you requested.
Old February 11, 2002, 09:36 PM   #19
RH Factor

I'm looking for that 380 for my back pocket...But not a DAO. I have a NAA Guardian 32...fits fine in the pocket..but I don't like the trigger pull. I have a KelTec P11...just alittle too big for the back pocket. I'm thinking about a Colt Mustang..but I've seen several mention the Llama 380. How does it compare in size to the Mustang. Also..I've seen several Mustangs on Gunbroker..and there seems to be two different models..some with longer grips..is that true.
Thanks\RH Factor
Old February 11, 2002, 09:44 PM   #20
bad_dad_brad

Hard to beat the Kahr MK9. You can't really appreciate how small they are until you handle one and they shoot like a dream. Looking forward to eventually buying the lighter polymer version the PM9.
Old February 11, 2002, 09:57 PM   #21
Glockrat

Anybody have any experience with the FireStorm .380? I handled one the other day and it felt good but not sure of reliability. Looks alot like the Sig 232- which felt REAL nice in the hand.
Oh yeah, tried the Llama .380 and couldn't get but 2 or 3 shots off without it jamming- it's gone....
Old February 12, 2002, 01:19 AM   #22
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. You might look at STI's LS 9mm. Click on the link below and then "Complete Guns." You'll see where to click then for details.

www.stiguns.com

Best.
Old February 12, 2002, 01:40 AM   #23
chaim

Quote:
Anybody have any experience with the FireStorm .380? I handled one the other day and it felt good but not sure of reliability.
It is the same as the Bersa in .380 (it is made by Bersa, I think it's made on the same production line, with the FireStorm name put on it). The Bersa seems to have a great reputation. I did finally get to shoot one the other day and it was sweet- very nice trigger, amazingly accurate for a small gun, no jams (I didn't shoot that many rounds but it was a range rental that looked like it was last cleaned during Clinton's FIRST term). I am confident enough in this gun's reputation that it (the Bersa version) is on my 'must have list' and will probably be in my next 2 or 3 purchases (I'll probably get a Taurus PT 911 first, and I may get a small framed snubby revolver first).
Old February 12, 2002, 05:16 AM   #24
New_comer

This: STI LS 9mm

Caliber 9mm, .40 S&W
Frame Officers size grip, Steel
Grip Panels Rosewood, Thin
Slide Features STI Bullet style Front and Rear serrations
Trigger STI long, curved
Barrel STI fully supported, ramped barrel
Safeties Blue STI Grip and Single Sided thumb
Guide Rod STI one piece steel integral to cam block
Sights Slide integral front w/Heinie Low Mount rear
Overall Length 7.0"
Width .765" across steel, 1.06" across grips
Weight 28.0 oz.
Finish Blue

or this: Bersa Mini Thunder 9

Caliber: 9 x 19 mm (parabellum)
Operation: Semiautomatic
Magazine capacity: 13 cartridges
Rear sight: Dovetailed
Front sight: In the slide
Safeties: Firing pin
Grips: Polymer
Dimensions
Overall length: 165 mm/6.5 in.
Height: 130 mm/5.1 in.
Width: 37 mm/1.5 in.
Barrel length: 83 mm/3.25 in.
Weight: 765 gr./26 oz.

These are the smalest DA/SA or SA pistols in 9mm I've found so far...

Hope this helps.

New_comer

USP9F, Remington 870

"It not in the size of the thing, it's how you use it..."
Old February 12, 2002, 07:25 AM   #25
Tropical Z

FEG P9rz
Very nice shooter and reliable although heavier do to the fact that its an all milled steel gun.I have one and you can read an accurate review at www.cruffler.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p9rz.jpg (23.6 KB, 74 views)