The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2002, 11:48 AM   #1
DCloudy777

Franchi defense auto...

I saw one of these for the first time in a shop the other day. Looked and felt like a solid piece. I'm getting ready to buy an auto, and the $500 neighborhood the Franchi seems to live in sounds better than the Benelli, or the Beretta, or even the Remington. Anybody have any experience with these? I hear that Franchi is part of the Beretta/Benelli "empire" now, can I expect near the same quality? Any input appreciated, thanks.

DanO
Old February 5, 2002, 10:32 PM   #2
ViLLain

It's an awesome gun! And if you hunt, all that needs to be done is install a plug and purchase the hunting barrel. It is less expensive to convert from defensive to hunting than vice versa.

Best value in shotguns right now.
Old February 6, 2002, 05:15 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Franchis have a good rep, and the owners of same I run across are fond of them but...

$500=one Franchi or two 870s. Say one 870 is a basic HD style or deer gun, t'other's a 28" sporter. Simple math, two great guns vs one great gun.
Old February 7, 2002, 10:55 AM   #4
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I wanted one. Handled it, liked the way it pointed. Got ready to buy it and, on a hunch, looked over the manual. Tried to operate it. The manual of arms is very complicated compared to a pump or an 1100/1187. It is similar to Beretta and HK shotguns: if you like those, I really think this gun is worth two 870s (gas operation is a big plus IMO for recoil reduction). However, as I could barely make it work at a store, I decided to avoid it for real uses out of concern that I wouldn't be able to operate it.
Old February 7, 2002, 11:32 AM   #5
striderteen

The Franchi I really like is the SPAS-12 shotgun, but it's banned here in the PRK. Damm!