The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 16, 2000, 02:59 PM   #1
ljhj45

I think I have decided on my home gun: a glock 17 or 19, with an M3 tac light, Ashley Express Big Dot night sights, and a Laseraim guide rod laser sight. I figure that this would be the best weapon against late night home invaisions.
Old November 16, 2000, 03:05 PM   #2
viper45

In all honesty, I'd go with a 40/45/10mm instead, since size doesn't really matter, a Glock 20/21/22 would be perfect.

------------------
Have you nuked a hampster today???
www.joecartoon.com
Old November 16, 2000, 03:05 PM   #3
David Scott

Well, if you don't have a Benelli M1 Super Tactical 12 gauge....

sounds cool to me.
Old November 16, 2000, 03:06 PM   #4
MrPink

The only overkill/testosterone I think you have going there is the laser thingy. Lasers strike me as toys. Lasers have you focus on the red dot instead of the front sight, where your focus should be.

My nightstand gun is an HK USP set up very similarly.
Old November 16, 2000, 03:51 PM   #5
M1911

I'm with psp -- I'm not a big fan of lasers. For a home defense gun (where concealment isn't an issue), I prefer a larger caliber than 9mm.

M1911
Old November 16, 2000, 06:39 PM   #6
longeyes

Add me to the crew pushing for .45ACP. I use a Glock 30 as my primary home defense handgun but there are many good choices. I think 9mm is perfect for concealment purposes.
Old November 16, 2000, 06:41 PM   #7
DarkStar

One of Murphy's Laws: Tracers work both ways... that would most likely apply to lasers as well...

Darryl
Old November 16, 2000, 07:29 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

A bigger brighter light might be beneficial.

Lasers are slowly gaining acceptance, and someone who has been trained to shoot with them -- if you've got a good model -- can be very effective. But a bright light and a laser kind of work against each other.

And electronic ear protection. You'll be able to hear things better and if you have to fire, you won't hurt yourself. Keep all the stuff together.
Old November 16, 2000, 08:26 PM   #9
Gewehr98

Remington 870 Police, Extra full turkey choke, 3" magnum 000 buck.

Old November 16, 2000, 08:54 PM   #10
9x45

caliber aside, a laser is a secondary aiming device. You do not need to look at your front sights to use a laser,ie, you can hold your weapon at low ready, but the threat does need to be somewhat illuminated. Night sights are just like normal sights, you need to line up on the front with the threat, and with enough light to detect the threat. I belive your combo of night sights, weapon mounted light, and laser is because of too much hype about gizmos, and not enough real shooting experience, especially in low light or no light. Do yourself, and your family a favor, sign up for a reputable defensive pistol class. For home defense, a reliable cell phone and secure room/escape route is more important than space gizmos.
Old November 17, 2000, 05:56 AM   #11
dinosaur

I agree with Gewehr98 except I use #8 low base. At the distances indoors it avoids over penetration and there won`t be any expansion anyway.
Old November 17, 2000, 06:09 AM   #12
45King

Most needed on HD gun?

Why is it that when people start talking about add-ons to home defense firearms, SOUND SUPPRESSORS hardly ever get mentioned?
I realize that not everyone lives in a Class III state, and this is part of it...partly. You might want to check your state laws. I thought SC was a "NO" on C-III stuff, but found out that it applies to autoweaps and sawed-offs only; suppressors are legal under state law, so, if you're willing to go through the red tape.....

I'd like to have a .45 USP w/AWC suppressor and taclight mounted. Suppressor serves double duty-saves your hearing, and helps eliminate muzzle flash.
I wonder if AWC makes a suppressor to fit a Trapper .45 Colt or a Remington 870?

Freedom is a consequence of the exercising of rights.
Old November 17, 2000, 10:37 AM   #13
jimmy

In a home invasion scenario, the first gun I'd go for would be my 12-gauge slide-action shotgun (Winchester 1300). This is JMHO, but I believe a storm of buckshot would be pretty effective against home invaders, possibly more effective than anything else. Hopefully, however, I'd also have my Glock 21 handy.
Old November 17, 2000, 11:13 AM   #14
Gravity

Oh.....And I supposed no one thought of using a tactical nuclear device.
Old November 17, 2000, 11:52 AM   #15
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

You answered your own question--a suppressor would be a nice add-on but most of us can only dream.

My new house gun is a USP. Someday I want a tac-light for it, but night sights come first. My wife simply hates .45 and the next smaller handgun we own is a .22, so she uses a 5-shot 1100 20 guage with #7 shot.
Old November 17, 2000, 11:57 AM   #16
bk40

ljhj45,

nothing wrong with your choice of the G17 9mm... The M3 light is more than sufficent for its intended purposes imo. I would leave out the laser and just have the AE big dot tritium sight, but that just me.

Bottom line- if you are confident and proficent with your setup it don't make a difference what anyone else thinks.

••••••••
is it just me or is anyone else feeling disenfranchised too
Old November 17, 2000, 12:25 PM   #17
PeterGunn

bk40,

Your selection of 9mm is, of course, JUST FINE. To suggest that a 9mm is some sort of sickly child:barf: that is suited for concealment only is a large bucket of cow poopy. What ever caliber you end up with, make sure you select a good hollow-point that will not over penetrate. It would be a real shame if in taking shots at your adversary you miss (and you probably will) and penetrate the wall and hit your mother-in-law, other relative, or neighbor...you get my meaning.

If Glock is your thing, the 17 or 19 are excellent choices. Forget about the size issue, just pick the one that feels like it as ment for your hand, and practice practice, practice.

So, in conclusion, 9mm IS ok and the Glock is an excellent design...

Sounds like your on the right track to me!!!

I pray you will never have to use it.

Old November 17, 2000, 12:39 PM   #18
M1911

DarkStar is correct, lasers DO work both ways. I've seen a fellow use a laser sight during an indoor, simulated night shoot (almost all lights off). After the first shot, the laser illuminated the smoke from the powder in a long line back to the shooter. The line quite visible. Whether or not that would be a realistic disadvantage, I don't know...

I just don't like the idea of becoming dependent upon a laser sight with switches and batteries. What happens if you forgot to change the batteries? What happens in strong sunlight, when you can't see the laser? But, I've been called a curmudgeon before. I 'spose I ought to get one and play with it...

M1911
Old November 17, 2000, 12:47 PM   #19
M1911

PeterGunn:

I never said that 9mm is only suitable for concealed carry. I believe in the 9mm round and most often carry a 9mm. My Kahr MK9 is just about the easiest gun I have to carry.

While I do think that 9mm is acceptable, I think most of us would agree that .40 and .45 are marginally more powerful than 9mm. Since I don't have to conceal my home defense gun, I don't need the size advantage of 9mm. So in that circumstance, I prefer a larger caliber than 9mm.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't feel adequately armed with 9mm. Just that I prefer larger calibers.

Btw, my first home defense gun was, in fact, a Glock 17.

M1911
Old November 17, 2000, 01:31 PM   #20
Charlie Tuna

Lasers can be traced back and so can flashlights. If something went bump in the night wouldn't you be using some sort of light to ensure that it is a BG and not another member of the family or pet? Bright sunlight I would resort to using my regular sights.JMHO

CT
Old November 17, 2000, 01:41 PM   #21
355sigfan

Forget the laser. The M3 is good also consider a +2 magazine added to your highcaps and some mag safe swat ammo made for reduced indoor penitration. Personally I don't like the ashley sight.
PAT
Old November 17, 2000, 02:18 PM   #22
John D

Folks, I've got a S&W 66 snubbie loaded with .38 +P HydraShok ammo that should take care of things. Sure, a shotgun is best but cumbersome. This revolver is gonna work, I've practiced "point and shoot", and will definitely be a deterent to whoever (or whatever) I'm likely to deal with. I'm not worried about sound protection...I'm hoping I NEVER have to use this.

Plus, I can answer the door without scaring the hell out of the mailman!
Old November 17, 2000, 03:32 PM   #23
Onslaught

Overkill?

Nah, not at all. I think everyone here is roughly in agreement, except maybe for caliber.
If you acquire hi-caps for the 17 or 19, you've got 15 - 17 ROUNDS of those wimpy 9mm hollowpoints so I think a nine is fine!
Absolutely YES on the M3. My HK is (redundant comment). I have Mepros and the UTL, and feel that my 10 rounds of .45 are good to go, but I'd feel just as protected with 17 rounds of 9mm, or 14 rounds of .40.

I gotta second (or fifth) the laser thing. You already have to turn on the flashlight, and the laser's just one more battery to worry about. The M3 will be plenty.
If you've got access to a range where dim light can be achieved, check the light/point of impact, and you don't NEED the laser at all. Mine hits about 1" above the brightest center spot.

Lastly, I love my Winchester Defender, but short of mass rioting, I'm still grabbing for the HK.
Fully operational one handed, tighter around the corners, etc.
Old November 17, 2000, 10:26 PM   #24
twoinchgroup52

My soon to be new home protection gun was configured to esthetically please and be user friendly to my wife, who, to this point , hasn't shown much interest in learning. It's a pristine S&W model 36 Chiefs Special with Crimson Trace laser grips and laser scroll engraving.
Old November 17, 2000, 11:00 PM   #25
Ding

Personally I don't see the point of supressors for home defense firearms. If someone broke into my house and I had to shoot, I'd damn well want everyone to hear that I'm shooting - they may call the police before I get the chance.

That said, I have nothing against flash supressors.