The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: How hard is it to clean a Ruger Mk. II?
It's self cleaning. 8 4.62%
No more trouble than most other autos. 64 36.99%
Difficult but not impossible. 72 41.62%
Nightmare. Don't try this at home. 9 5.20%
What? You're supposed to clean it? 20 11.56%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 3, 2002, 11:07 AM   #1
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Cleaning Ruger Mk. II

Simple question: How hard is it to clean a Ruger Mk. II?

Also, I'd like to know if the Browning Buckmark or Colt Woodsman/Huntsman are easier to get along with after the shoot.

Thanx,
- pdmoderator
Old February 3, 2002, 11:12 AM   #2
Shmackey

Very easy to clean as long as you don't take it apart...

I use a bore snake and a toothbrush to clean everything I can without stripping.
Old February 3, 2002, 11:27 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I voted that it's no more trouble than most. Like Shmackey said, simply use the right tools and it's very easy to keep it clean when necessary, which is not nearly as often as most other autos.

However, if your question concerns taking it down to clean it, then you need another poll item in between "No more trouble ..." and "Difficult ..." and that is: "Tricky but not difficult".

(I'd be glad to add that one if you wish.)
Old February 3, 2002, 11:28 AM   #4
loknload

Ruger MKII Cleaning

pd, I find my Ruger MKII the worse handgun I own to clean :barf:
I hate cleaning it with a passion That's because I take mine apart everytime
Old February 3, 2002, 11:40 AM   #5
harbinger

I was under the impression it was a self-cleaning gun. Maybe if it jams, I'll think about cleaning it. I do know that after changing the trigger and sear, I never wanna see the insides of it again.
Old February 3, 2002, 01:17 PM   #6
Johnny Rad

Never stripped mine, but would like to one of these days. I'm not in a hurry because my cleaning (bore and what I can reach inside with old brass bore cleaners and q-tips) seems to be more than enough for this excellent target shooter. If I bought one brand new, I think I would break down and take it apart.
Old February 3, 2002, 02:18 PM   #7
Thirties

I owned a MkII Target model last year. When I bought a Kadet 22lr kit for my CZ85B and started using it, the first thing I did was to sell my Ruger MKII.

That's right. I GOT RID OF IT!

You see, the MKII was my first pistol. I had learned to field strip it, clean it, etc. Not easy, but awkward. Then I bought a .32 cal blowback pistol, and then a 9mm CZ85B locked breach.

I was using the Ruger less and less often. But it shot that cheap and quiet .22lr ammo . . . so I bought a .22 conversion kit for my 9mm (Kadet Kit sold by CZ).

Not only is the CZ with the Kadet more accurate than my Ruger. It is such a wll balanced gun, and heavy enough to completely stifle any recoil. What a pleasure to shoot this combo.

As for cleaning, I realized what a simple joy it is to own and maintain all my other auto pistols, compared to the chore of field stripping and cleaning the MKII.

If the MKII is your only pistol, you will be happy as a clam. But once you've used anything else, you will start to questiuon the value and usefulness of a Ruger MkII. There are many pistols as accurate or more accurate than the MKII.

There, I got that off my chest! [now, don't all jump on me at once!]

Spiros
Old February 3, 2002, 02:32 PM   #8
Sisco

I've seen several posts on the difficulity of cleaning a MKII.
I field-strip mine after every 150 rounds or so and can't say it's all that difficult a thing to do. First couple of times yeah, but after you've done it a few times it becomes routine - figure out how it goes together and do it the same way everytime.
Old February 3, 2002, 03:20 PM   #9
Corey

I have one of the Standards from the early 1960's, and it is not that bad to clean (once you learn the procedure). I liekd it so much that I bought a Mark II 5.5" Bull. I got it home and attempted to remove the upper from the lower and it would not budge. I called Ruger and asked them what was wrong. The gentleman on the phone laughed and said "You got one of SO and So's guns". He siad that they can come from the factory easy to take apart, or really tight and quite accurate, it just depends on who does the final assembly. They might have been pulling my chain, but the thing is quite a bit more accurate than my other and I can smack squirrels out of trees out around 30 yards with it. The gentleman told me to sit the groove for the bolt handle in the upper over a dowel and smack the lower with a rubber mallet. After hitting it about a dozen times, it came loose. It went back together about as badly. I have torn it down about 1 dozen times in the past year and it is slowly getting easier. I have talked to other people about their Rugers and they come apart much easier, but mine seems to be a bit more accurate. Ah well, I usually just pull the retainer assembly out, along with the bolt, and clean the snot out of the upper and leave the lower alone.
Old February 3, 2002, 03:41 PM   #10
makarov

Since the barrel is one piece I don't think how tight it fits to the grip/frame would have any bearing on how accurate it is. Now, a tight chamber that is another matter.

I have taken my MKII Govt. Model apart a number of times and any time I run a patch down the barrel I pull the bolt. As others have said they don't really need to be stripped that often. If you follow the instructions they are not difficult. As a teacher, I know how well some people are able to follow instructions....
Old February 3, 2002, 03:45 PM   #11
bj426

if you are literate, the manual will walk you through it very well the first few times.... after that, it's old hat.
Old February 3, 2002, 03:50 PM   #12
Thirties

Corey, I forgot to mention the rubber mallet I had to buy to get the barrel off the frame, and on again (just like you). also, in whacking it back on into position, I had to scrutionize the rear end to make sure the holes lined up EXACTLY, or I couldn't get the pin in to assemble the grip device (whatever it was called). Whew! you now reminded me of that part of it!

And, yeah, sure, a tight fit made my gun more accurate -- wasn't I the lucky duck!!!

It's not a matter of not being able to follow instructions. I was able to learn to strip the gun, etc. But why go through all of that (especially the tight barrel fit)?

The Kadet is just as accurate, and more so. And a child could put it togather.

I think there is an element of "The Emperor's New Clothes" to the Ruger MKII reputation.

Spiros
Old February 3, 2002, 04:55 PM   #13
mparris71

Ruger MKII

Hi,
I find mine very easy to clean, The first few time takeing it apart is a B!%*# to get back together after that I can clean it as fast as anything esle. I have one .22/.45 that is a Jamomatic POS I have shot it 2000+ and still jams once every clip Ruger is going to be getting it back soon.
MP
Old February 3, 2002, 05:42 PM   #14
Stoic

This website is very helpful in explaining how to clean and assemble/disassemble a Ruger MKII:

http://www.ontargetguns.com/striptip.html

Also, Majestic Arms LTD. offers an interesting product that makes the assembly and disassembly of a Ruger MKII a snap.

Check out their website:

http://www.majesticarms.com/

Here is what their kit looks like:

Old February 3, 2002, 07:59 PM   #15
MR.G

Ivoted difficult but not impossible. Have a competition target model that I will never wear out because I hate to clean it. Allways clean my guns after shooting, or I can't sleep at night.
Old February 3, 2002, 08:34 PM   #16
Cawdor

Once you have mastered installing the mainspring housing, the Ruger MkII is very easy to clean and reassemble. I clean mine every 2000 rounds, and I spend less time cleaning it than any other gun I own.
Old February 4, 2002, 03:58 PM   #17
ZeusOne

My 22/45 gets allot of use, mostly with bulk ammo which isn't the cleanest stuff in the world. I normally run a patch worm down the bore, and pull the bolt every few hundred rounds to clean the receiver. I normally don't separate the barrel to clean the lowers, and frankly have not found it necessary to do so on a regular basis.

Sure, the whole ritual of stripping and reassembly of this gun is a little more involved than most, but I can't say it's difficult.
Old February 4, 2002, 04:05 PM   #18
denfoote

After I did it a couple of times, I found it was no harder than any of my other autos.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old February 4, 2002, 04:39 PM   #19
Kermit

It's just like learning the secret handshake to the club. Once you learn how to clean it & have practiced it a couple of times, it's EASY.
Old February 4, 2002, 05:56 PM   #20
CZ_

I voted "difficult, but not impossible".

I mean, its not rocket science people. It does take a little longer to learn to re-assemble a Mk II than other pistols, but once you learn it its easy from then on.
Old February 4, 2002, 06:22 PM   #21
Dave-Ga

The real answer is:

f) More trouble than most other autos.
Old February 4, 2002, 07:23 PM   #22

I got my first Ruger .22 Auto 31 years ago, when I was 9 years old. I have had a total of four; two of them now. At the age of 9 years old I could strip one, and did. At the age of 40 I can strip one, and do. I must be missing something here.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old February 9, 2002, 07:16 PM   #23
zorba

When I first got my MKII, I took it apart to clean it. It is not too bad after you do it a few times. I put a red dot scope on it and it made it more difficult to clean. Now I leave the barrel on and just take the bolt out when I clean it, that way I don't have to worry about dropping or messing up the scope.
Old February 9, 2002, 09:58 PM   #24
Jamie Young

I sold Mine a few months ago because I hated taking it apart.
Old February 9, 2002, 10:09 PM   #25
peepaw

Very easy but then I've been stripping and reassembling anything mechanical since I was a tot ...the Mark II is a breeze..