The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 8, 2016, 02:27 PM   #51
Sharkbite

Lol

F and G need to be an apples to apples comparison. In your example i think the truth of the matter is a guy that is carrying a "fullsize FIGHTING handgun" is the MORE likely of the 2 to train regularly.

I dont see many of my defensive handgun students that carry a 2" J frame on a daily basis
Old June 8, 2016, 03:31 PM   #52
Lee6113

Does anyone watch the Front Sight Reality Check episodes? (They're like 5 minute videos on YouTube.)

I think in most of those there aren't usually a lot of shots fired but the TYPES of encounters shown give me some perspective on what can happen. I definitely feel like the more ammo I have the better. It's a toss up between what you shoot best with and how much you can carry. For me, I'll just start carrying my second magazine regularly. That's 16 shots available for me.
Old June 9, 2016, 10:02 AM   #53
TailGator

I stopped carrying revolvers some years back because of the limited capacity combined with the time to reload. I always carry a spare mag for my carry semis. My most common carry pistol by a large margin is a Glock 26, and I carry a spare 12-round mag with it. My pocket pistol, carried once or twice a week, is a Sig P238, and I carry it with a 6-round mag and a 7-round spare mag for backup.
Old June 9, 2016, 06:35 PM   #54
Jo6pak

When I carry, it's the 8 rounds in the Shield. I'm a thin guy and concealing just the pistol with the flush magazine is enough of a challenge, especially in summer when I'm most often wearing just jeans and a t-shirt.

And if I need more than 8 rounds, I figure I've already made a few bad decisions that day
Old June 9, 2016, 10:10 PM   #55
CryptoWeenie

When I was in the Navy and standing armed watch, I was issued one loaded weapon and two extra magazines. So today (as a civilian) I naturally carry a loaded gun and who spare mages or speed loaders, which equals 15 to 36 rounds depending upon the gun I'm carrying. I've tried carrying just one spare magazine or speed loader, but it just doesn't seem right. Navy training/conditioning is hard to break. Of course, it doesn't seem all that unreasonable so I'm really not all that interested in changing - and if I need more than 15 - 36 rounds, then I'm probably screwed anyway.
Old June 9, 2016, 10:27 PM   #56
Oysterboy

Look at it this way. You'll probably face more trouble in the streets than the Navy so your training did well.
Old June 10, 2016, 02:51 AM   #57
Deaf Smith

There never is 'enough' rounds, nor 'to much' power.

There is only what I hope I can get by on.

Life is a compromise. It's also a gamble that is full of risk.

Deaf
Old June 10, 2016, 02:54 AM   #58
gyvel

6+1=7.
SIFE
Old June 10, 2016, 04:48 PM   #59
SocialAnarchist

6 in my pistol and 7 in the extended spare mag in my pocket. .45acp if anyone cares.
Old June 10, 2016, 11:32 PM   #60
Doc Holliday 1950

Whatever I'm carrying. All of my Rugers are 357 mags 2 are 5 shot and one is a six shot plus I carry one speed loader. I might get into a situation where I wish I had an Uzi, but that's fantasy and very unlikely in my real world.

Doc
Old June 11, 2016, 10:26 AM   #61
1911_Hardball

I carry (on my person) whatever the gun I'm carrying at the time is loaded with.
If I can't stop the threat or extract myself from the situation without having to reload, extra ammunition isn't likely to do me any good.
YMMV
Old June 11, 2016, 01:09 PM   #62
Ton

For every day normal routine carry outside of the home, a G26 with one in the chamber and a single reload with both magazines downloaded by a single round for a total of 19 rounds.

If I'm feeling paranoid (going somewhere with crowds, traveling really late, travelling somewhere farther than an hour from home) I'll trade out the extra G26 magazine for a G17 magazine for a total of 26 rounds.

If I'm feeling REALLY paranoid, and staying home isn't an option, I'll trade out the G26 for the G17 and carry two reloads for a total of 49 rounds.
Old June 12, 2016, 07:40 PM   #63
bedbugbilly

Normally the 5 in my J frame model 36.

But then again, is "normal" changing? With all the "c$#p" that is becoming the "norm" going on . . . I've been doing a lot of "re-thinking" . . .

Hopefully, I'll never need 1 round nor will never have to draw a weapon. But I find myself carrying my 9mm Shield more and more with a spare mag. When my wife and I travel, especially in souther AZ where we winter, I often put the SR9 with double stack mags in the car in addition to what I'm carrying . . especially if we are going to be on back roads in lesser traveled areas.

In the past year, I have found myself in several situations that could have escalated into very dangerous situations (thankfully they didn't) and it made me even more aware of the necessity of being more aware of what is going on around me and the necessity of getting in to the habit of "carrying", even while at home (and one incident involved two perps - and afterwards, the suggestion of the local LE to carry even at home). Home invasions are becoming more and more common, especially by dope addicts who have little regard for human life, and often multiple perps. And so, I am changing the way I think. I'd rather be carrying a handgun with more rounds than needed and never have to use it than to find myself in a situation where it required more rounds than I have available. That is one of the main reasons I am going to a semi-auto with more capacity than the old faithful J frame that I used to be comfortable with.

In the end . . . it's a "personal decision" for each individual what caliber, how many rounds and the type of handgun they carry. Whatever the individual decides on . . the most important thing is that they become proficient in shooting it accurately and that that the pratice with it regularly. Just my humble opinion.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 12, 2016, 07:59 PM   #64
foxytwo

16 or 8, depending which pistol I carry. I don't carry an extra mag.
Old June 12, 2016, 10:14 PM   #65
DA/SA Fan

Always 2 extra full size double stack mags. My compact SAR b6PC carries 13+1 but it takes 19 round MecGar CZ/TriStar mags. When I carry my Witness 10mm I have 15+1 in the gun and 2 14 round backups. I have no idea what I will need if I ever need to use my gun. I am comfortable carrying 2 extras. Even if it weren't comfortable I would carry at least 1 extra.

Last edited by DA/SA Fan; June 14, 2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old June 13, 2016, 10:53 PM   #66
Kevin Rohrer

One extra mag is enough for me. If I need more than that, I will have to go get something belt-fed.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old June 14, 2016, 07:06 PM   #67
Neal_G.

I carry 14+1, or 16+1 depending on the gun, with no reload. I previously carried a Glock 26 with 10+1 for years, but just got into carrying larger guns. I shoot them well, and just like how they handle easier. I would still feel comfortable carrying a snubby with 5 rounds. I don't live in a urban area, or any remotely crime prone area. We all take our chances, but we all face greater odds of bodily harm just driving to and from work everyday. I try not let mental paranoia, completely of my own making, overtake reason and logic, no matter what I'm carrying.
Old June 17, 2016, 07:03 PM   #68
JC57

0, 5 or 6, depending on which revolver I carry (or whether I carry at anything). "Enough" is only determined after the fact. So far in my life, zero rounds has been enough.
Old June 17, 2016, 07:38 PM   #69
badlander

I carry A 5 shot S&W 640 For work. Can not risk A customer seeing it. other times it has always been A Full size 1911 with 8 rounds. I am in the process of switching over to A 9mm with 17 rounds.Have trigger work to do on the new gun and get myself completely familiar with it before carrying. Todays world I want the extra rounds even if I never need them.
Old June 17, 2016, 08:45 PM   #70
Sequins

Right now I have a Ruger SP101 in .357mag in my pocket loaded in 158gr JHP Speer Gold Dot. Two speed loaders with the same in my jacket pocket, although I lack the training to effectively combat reload. I expect 5 rounds to suffice if I need them.
Old June 17, 2016, 10:53 PM   #71
Brit

My always pistol, Glock 19Gen4, spare G17 magazine. Bright flash light.

TruGlo night sights. This load out is easy to carry. If I ended up in a gun fight, I am able to fire a couple of bursts of at least 4 rounds. And still have plenty left to engage a group! Might it happen? It could happen.

I know if it was required, the 5 shot revolver is crap out of luck.

If this kind of fight is forced upon me? I could handle it. Providing the million rounds I have fired in my life time, was a good lesson, well learned.
Old June 18, 2016, 04:23 PM   #72
pete2

642 holds 5, 19 holds 6 and the LC9 holds 8, so, it depends on which I carry.
Old June 18, 2016, 04:47 PM   #73
adamBomb

Probably zero. I think just showing a gun is going to end most scenarios I could ever realistically be involved in so any number of rounds is more than enough.

I feel very secure in most scenarios with my LCP or Glock 26...but in a mass shooter type incident I wish I had a rifle because I dont think my pistols would be very useful at a distance in mass chaos...maybe nothing would be in that situation though
Old June 18, 2016, 05:02 PM   #74
seeker_two

I carry a LC9 around my local area, but I've been carrying a SD9VE more often, mainly to get used to carrying a larger gun. While the increased size is easy to adapt to, I don't like how the double-stack magazine throws off the balance in my holsters. I'm considering getting a light single-stack pistol in a larger caliber instead....something like a Kahr CT45 or similar.
Old June 18, 2016, 06:01 PM   #75
Rangerrich99

When I was in my twenties I lived in a rough part of St. Louis and worked in east St. Louis, which was known at the time as the Murder Capital of the World. Back then I carried a Para-Ordnance P13, with one in the chamber and an extra mag, which gave me 27 rounds of .45 auto, and never felt under-gunned. In fact, most of the time I felt my load out was a little much, except for when I went to work.

A few years later, I moved to the 'burbs and began working in a much safer part of STL. I started carrying my dad's old S&W .38 snub, no reloads.

Fast forward to four years ago when I moved to Anthem, AZ and have been working in a very secure environment for the last 8 years. Now my EDC is typically 8 rds, except for June, July, and August when the heat coerces me into carrying my LCP, holding 6+1; no extra mag. In the 'winter' (Nov, Dec, and Jan), I'll usually carry my 1911 with the 8-round mags, so 17 rds total.

If I could, I'd carry my 1911 year-round, and I even tried it for a couple years. However, although it can be done, it's just not comfortable when the temps climb over 110 degrees (I don't work in an air-conditioned office).

Or if I lived/worked in less secure environments, I'd probably consider carrying more rounds. But I just don't. Heck, I can't even remember the last time I was in a gun-free zone, which apparently are much more dangerous than gun-friendly zones. I don't try to avoid them, I just don't have a need to visit them it seems.