The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 11, 2013, 07:52 AM   #1
duelist1954

Filming the Bad Guy's View

The most common question I get is, "How do you film the Bad Guy's View?"...which is usually followed by, "Do you ever shoot your camera?"

The answer to the second question is , "No." , but I have ruined a few tripods from the legs taking hits from downward deflecting bullet fragments.

To answer the first question, this video shows exactly how I film the BGV. On the video I run through it twice, first with a Remington New Model Army Revolver and then with a Third Model Dragoon.

So, if you were wondering...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xl45_pbmF8
Old July 11, 2013, 09:19 AM   #2
mykeal

I now know how, but I don't know why.
Old July 11, 2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Beagle333

Nice! I like your videos, from all the angles. And it is very impressive from the "business end" as well. Keep up the great work!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 11, 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Bill Akins

That's exactly how I figured you video the bad guy's view Mike. But what I'd like to know is how do you video those closeups of loading and disassembling when both your hands are busy with the gun? Too close for tripod work I think, so how do you video those closeups when both your hands are obviously in the video being busy with the gun?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 11, 2013, 03:44 PM   #5
maillemaker

I would think you'd lay a sheet of sheet metal against the tripod and have a piece of plexiglass in front of the camera itself.

Steve
Old July 11, 2013, 05:30 PM   #6
g.willikers

Purty sure the tripod's knees were quivering some.
Old July 12, 2013, 04:51 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Oh....

I thought the tripod was the "bad guy."
Old July 12, 2013, 08:42 AM   #8
duelist1954

Bill,

I use a tripod to film the shot where I'm loading or working on the gun. Usually in those scenes the tripod and camera are right in front of me and I have to reach around to do whatever the action is. It is actually pretty awkward.
Old July 12, 2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Roshi

Thanks!

Thanks Mike for the info and all your videos and article.
Old July 12, 2013, 11:52 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
I use a tripod to film the shot where I'm loading or working on the gun. Usually in those scenes the tripod and camera are right in front of me and I have to reach around to do whatever the action is. It is actually pretty awkward.
I bet it is. Thanks for your dedication.
Old July 12, 2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Bill Akins

Thanks for explaining how you get the close up shots with both hands busy Mike. Always enjoy your videos, they are very informative and just plain fun to watch.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".