The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2013, 08:58 AM   #1
rebs

comparing gun powders ?

For shooting in an AR has anyone compared H335, Varget and CFE223 powders for the best accuracy load ?
Old April 21, 2013, 09:05 AM   #2
g.willikers

What one gun likes, mostly has no bearing on another gun.
Or another reloader, for that matter.
Even with the modern manufacturing methods, they are all slightly different.
You will have to let yours tell you what it likes best.
Old April 21, 2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Jimro

Can't talk about powder accuracy without talking about bullets. Powders don't make holes in targets, they just propel the bullet that does. So what bullet(s) are you planning on using?

Jimro
Old April 21, 2013, 12:48 PM   #4
rebs

I mainly shoot 55 gr and am going to try some 69 gr HP's for longer range.
The reason I asked is because all I have loaded so far is H335 which I bought in an 8lb jug. I do have a 1lb jug of Varget and a 1lb jug of CFE223, but haven't tried either one of these.
Old April 21, 2013, 01:25 PM   #5
mjes92

For what is worth I have loaded both Varget and CFE223 almost exclusively with 55gr Nosler BT. I would give a slight accuarcy edge to CFE223 probably due to the fact CFE drops so consistant from a dillion progressive press. I'm sure Varget is just as accurate but requires a little more care.

Good Luck
NRA - Life Member
Old April 21, 2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Jimro

I would try CFE223 first. Normal 55gr bullets have an exposed lead base which helps prevent leading with regular powders (the exposed lead gets really hot and leaves some Pb vaporized in the gasses which mixes with hot copper on in the barrel. 69gr BTHP pills have a reverse drawn jacket so no exposed lead to the hot gasses.

CFE223 has an additive (tin dioxide) that does the same function for decoppering the bore. I'm surprised they didn't use Bismuth trioxide.

I did a comparison between Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR and IMR 4064 with 80gr Amax bullets from my service rifle, and while it could be my skills aren't great enough to notice a difference, I didn't notice any difference in accuracy at 500 yards. So I don't think you'll gain much accuracy choosing Varget over CFE223.

Anyways, a consistent bore will give you more consistent accuracy over long strings of fire.

Jimro
Old April 21, 2013, 04:09 PM   #7
rebs

Thank you guys for the replies, I wii give the CFE223 a try first.
Old April 21, 2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Kimber84

comparing gun powders ?

I've loaded all those powders w 55FMJ loads... The accuracy is probably better than I can shoot, however I prefer 335 or CFE223 over Varget simple because either of those drop so much better than Varget ( which still isn't bad). My poor AR is kinda the bastard gun that eats whatever powder is leftover from other experimenting. Hence the reason for a plethora of powders, primers, and bullet combos.

Out of all of them though I've had the best luck with 335 out of multiple different guns. I run it exclusively out of my .204 and that gun is scary accurate.