The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

View Poll Results: IDPA Holster choice preference - Leather or Kydex?
Leather, forward cant 3 15.00%
Leather, zero cant 3 15.00%
Kydex, forward cant 4 20.00%
Kydex, zero cant 10 50.00%
Other - Please detail 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8, 2007, 08:19 AM   #1
nass

IDPA holsters - Leather or Kydex??

I have both a Galco side snap for the 3" ultra and a kydex paddle holster for any of my 1911s. I was planning on using an IDPA practice session to continue to "break-in" the new ultra and it got me thinking...

What do you all prefer for IDPA/USPSC?

Forward cant or straight (zero cant)? My leather is definately forward canted. The Kydex can go anywhere.

I guess the reason for asking is should you use your carry holster for playing? I guess if playing wears out the carry holster a bit faster, I guess that's the price to play. A kydex holster would be pretty hard to wear out though...

Just curious your thoughts. Please list your favorites here for all to see.
Old March 8, 2007, 10:08 AM   #2
HSMITH

I use Blade Tech kydex. It is fast, secure, and presents no concerns when re-holstering the way a leather holster will if it collapses. If a leather holster takes two hands to re-holster it is only a matter of time before you sweep your hand using it and get DQ'd.
Old March 8, 2007, 01:42 PM   #3
nass

Sweeping?

HSMITH, what do you mean by sweeping? Haven't heard that one before.
Old March 8, 2007, 03:28 PM   #4
HSMITH

If any part of your body passes in front of the muzzle you have 'swept' yourself, sweeping is allowing some part of your body or another persons body to be in front of the muzzle. Doing so will get you DQ'd at every match I have ever been to.

Leather holster collapses when you pull your gun out, stage ends and you need to holster the gun, gun won't go in because the holster opening is too small, you open it with your left hand and holster with your right hand, should the muzzle point at your left hand at any time doing this you have 'swept' yourself. Solution? Use a reinforced leather holster that stays open or Kydex.
Old March 8, 2007, 08:25 PM   #5
nass

Swept

Thanks for the definition. I knew that was a big no-no, just didn't think of the lack of reinforcement on a leather holster requiring 2 hands.

Just makes you wonder why all OWB holsters don't come with a minimal amount of reinforcement.