The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 9, 2005, 04:50 AM   #1
cdc

Best Walmart ammo to buy for practice and Trap

Since I am new to shotguns I need to buy probably hundreds of rounds for practicing at the range and possibly Trap (if the local gun clubs allow me to use my Tactical 870 for Trap shooting). I have read that Walmart is the place to buy decent and yet inexpensive 12 ga. Trap/practice loads. I have seen Federal, Winchester and a couple of other not known to me brands on sale for about $15 per 100 rounds. These $15 per 100 round loads usually are anywhere from 7 1/2 to 8 shot with typically 1oz - 1 1/8oz loads.

I am assuming the above are the right ammo for practice and Trap shooting, is this correct? Also for a Remington 870 with VangComp 18" barrel (smooth bore fixed choke), which brand or type of ammo is recommended and what to stay away from because it is just plain crap? I do not mind buying smaller quantity of ammo then patterning. Also if there is somewhere else to buy good quality ammo for the above mentioned purpose, please share.

Thanks, this board has been quite helpful

cdc
Old September 9, 2005, 07:50 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

All of the value pack stuff will work for the purpose. Federal may have the nod for the tightest patterns, but the Gun Clubs from Remington and the Winchester stuff works also.

Estate target loads are sometimes found at a great price. Made by Federal, it's pretty good stuff.

Off brand ammo is a morass. Some is great stuff and a real bargain, some has dead soft, unround shot, and powder that shoots very dirty.

Do pattern, it's as essential as oxygen....
Old September 10, 2005, 01:53 AM   #3
cdc

Thanks for the info Dave McC. I am also looking for LE ammo from Remington and Federal. Aside Ammoman, do you know where I can purchase this type of ammo? I am looking specifically for:

* Federal LE 132 OO w/Flight Control Wad
* Remington LE Reduced Recoil Buckshot - 2 3/4" , 3Dram, 00BK, 8 pellets
* Remington Express LE - 2 3/4", 00BK, 9 pellets

Interested for HD use.

Thanks!
Old September 10, 2005, 09:11 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Can't help you there. Sorry. I'm sitting on a stash of old style Estate R/R and older Winchester Classic. I need little buck these days.
Old September 11, 2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Larry Ashcraft

Right now, because of dove season I guess, WalMart has Remington game loads in 12 or 20 for $3.27/box. That's $32.70 per flat, cheaper than the 100 rd packs, and it patterns nicely in my Citori.
Old September 11, 2005, 11:26 PM   #6
cdc

Thanks Larry, I will go and check out the Remington ammo you are speaking of within the next two days.

cdc
Old September 12, 2005, 09:28 AM   #7
Gary H

The value stuff is ok, but should you like the sport, you might look into reloading. In that case, you want to decide on what Manufacturer's product provides you with a long term quality product. WalMart is a great place to get started.
Old September 12, 2005, 09:42 AM   #8
AAshooter

As far as your other shotgun food, I would check:

* Natchez Shooting Supply
* Cheaper than Dirt
* Ammoman

I find all three to be quite good to work with. Depending on what is on sale, all have been the cheapest at one time or another.
Old September 14, 2005, 02:37 PM   #9
cdc

Thanks for all the input. I am still looking for somewhere to purchase the LE ammo for HD. But I did pick up 200 rounds of Estate Target Load (2 3/4", 1oz., 7 1/2 shot) and 50 rounds of Winchester Super X Game Load (2 3/4", 1oz., 7 1/2 shot) and 50 rounds of Federal Game Shok Game Load (2 3/4", 1oz., 6 shot). Purchased for $3.29 per box of 25 shells. Walmart and Sportmart is where I purchased them.

When I have a chance to pattern and try the ammo purchased and like them I am thinking of just stocking up on the one I like best since it is so inexpensive. If in a dry, climate controlled enviroment, how long will this caliber of ammo stay fresh and usable?

cdc