The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 1, 2012, 10:27 AM   #1
farmerboy

USPSA or ?

at our local range theres about 4-5 guys do some sort of pistol competition. Yall prob know what kind im talking about. They meet first Sunday of every month. They'll put up targets and run the course. Its timed and you calculate your time with where you hit target. I just watched and told them maybe later and Im sure its fun and alittle harder than it looks. But what gets me is the targets are about 5 yards in front of them. C'mon- targets look like they may get paper burned to me. I watched whole match but still in my yard I practice alot different and my way of thinking I get better results than this. The only thing is Im always alone and dont have the comradare and make new friends who share my same interest but how do yall feel? I would like to see targets from 3- 25 yards, buth still and moving, ready position, holstered gun and on a table. Moving targets and free standing and a 12" gong out at about 75 yards or so. ps- their compoetition is with handguns only just to let ya know.
And Im sure they do have competitions like I desribe but were lucky to have what we got in this area. (very small town) what we do have is guys shooting at 5 yards away basically. Im sure it helps but if this is all you practice????
Old September 1, 2012, 10:53 AM   #2
SG29736

If you can find an actual organized club, go check it out. This sounds like a few guys getting together and having a little friendly competition. Most of us don't have all of the different types of targets available that a larger affiliated club will have. Swingers, drop turners, clamshells, other moving targets, steel. They will use walls and barricades, barrels for you to shoot around and over. Also at IDPA or USPSA matches, the targets will be from reach out and touch it range to 25 yards or more occasionally. Do a search for IDPA or USPSA and see where there are clubs located. Even if you have to drive some distance, it's worth checking out. Mark
Old September 1, 2012, 11:17 AM   #3
farmerboy

I think he said they were a UsPSA I think. They pay I think $25 or $50 dollars a month and they go by certain rules but everything shot at that close is just not for me. Like I said I do that and way more everyday in my yard so at those distances. I was just wandering about the distances.
Old September 1, 2012, 11:33 AM   #4
BillM

I run the USPSA practical pistol program at a small local range. Been shooting
USPSA since 2001, and it is a blast!

We are an affiliated club, run under USPSA rules, pay our monthly fees to
USPSA.

Typically we have 6 stages, with a mix of paper and steel targets. Range
is "in your face" to about 30 yds (our deepest bay). Steel is engaged no
closer than 7-8 yds, per the rulebook. Match fee is $17, which is typical
in this area for a club match.

Scoring in USPSA is total points divided by time. That generates what
is called a "hit factor". It's also weighted by whether you are shooting
minor or major power ammunition--major scores higher on the B,C and
D zones on the targets.

4 or 5 guys setting up some targets of a Sunday and shooting? Sounds
like a bunch of guys playing around with doing something sort of like
what they saw on TV---in a really simple way. You can go to the USPSA
website and see if they are an affiliated club. If they are an affiliated
club, you might want to give them a little support--it's a volunteer
organization, you could probably design some stages to do what you want.

The "club finder" function will also tell you where there are other matches in your area.

http://www.uspsa.org/

It looks simple. But it's points per second---and believe me, you
can go too fast and actually MISS those 5 yd targets
Old September 1, 2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Creeper

From a little different perspective... at least they're getting in a little practical, measurable practice every month. You'd be surprised how your perspective would change if you shot with them. Give it a try farmerboy.

C
Old September 1, 2012, 12:15 PM   #6
farmerboy

Yes I dont know if theyre really right on with rules or not but about 7 yards is farthest they were. We live in Buffalo, Tx so I do need to see. But yes one day I may join and see if I can get things going alittle different direction. Sometimes you know how these little towns can be too. We've done it this way for ever how long and will continue to do it this way". I know the guy who runs it and is a aquantice of mine and a reloader as well. But the main thing is YES they are atleast doing some kind of training more than prob about 85 % of gun owners. Like I said I shoot in my yard almost daily and have rifle and pistol ranges set up. I usually just make the 8 mile drive to the range about every month or so just to shoot somewhere different and to look for brass (even though I dont need it). But thanks guys I was really wanting to know if thats the furtherest they ever shot. One day I may play with them and see where this goes.
Old September 1, 2012, 03:26 PM   #7
SG29736

That would be a pretty high cost for a match with 4-5 shooters. It certainly wouldn't be typical of any USPSA match I've seen. There will be some close targets, but not all of them.. Mark
Old September 1, 2012, 05:08 PM   #8
farmerboy

They're on the website: Leon County Gun Club. So I don't know if it's done right or not. That day they had I think 5 shooters maybe 4. And I was told to have $50.00 every shoot but someone gets a trophy. They had about 5 standing targets and nothing else. But yea I'll ask more and who knows. They'll have to do more stuff for me. Shoot I can shoot 5-7 yards in my yard all day long. But it would be good to shoot with others. The only time I get to shoot with others is when my dept qualifies and that was about 1 month ago. Over In 30 minutes and none of them will shoot until next year.
Old September 1, 2012, 11:41 PM   #9
1stmar

Any practice is good practice. 7 yards you should be able to develop some good speed. Distance shooting is not in the top 3 disciplines I would focus if you want to be competitive. Start with a draw, reload and speed drills. Good target times for a draw, 1sec, same for a reload. Then work on some bill drills and develop the timing you need for speed.

Last edited by 1stmar; September 2, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old September 2, 2012, 01:30 AM   #10
mr kablammo

You can attend and shoot more elaborate matches but you will need to drive a bit. The Brazosland Pistoleros shoot in Bryan/College Station. There are matches in Killeen, Waco, Temple and the USPSA locator can be used. Austin has USPSA and IDPA clubs.
Old September 3, 2012, 07:42 AM   #11
Jesse Tischauser

If you enjoy guns and shooting You really owe it to yourself to try USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA, ICORE, and 3 gun. There are other action shooting sports out there as well that are fun too. Don't hesitate go compete with yourself.
Old September 4, 2012, 06:28 AM   #12
lmccrock

$50 is steep for a monthly club match. USPSA club matches are usually more like $15-20, with a chunk of that going to the range. For $50, most of us would drive farther for a bigger, cheaper match. My club discounts match fees for members, but lets anyone shoot, so I wonder if the $50 was an annual fee, with monthly matches costing less.

If there are just 4-5 shooters/month, it is tough to keep a club going. There may have been a conflicting event or a summer hiatus.

Anyway, Cawthon, Temple, Waco, all have matches. Steel challenge, IDPA, USPSA, depending. Give it a try.