The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Char181

Stock modifications for sawed off shotgun

New to the forum and have done some searching on this topic but haven't found much help. I posted in the NFA Section with no reply's yet. Thought i would try here. I am in the research stage and will file my paperwork for the stamp soon. I will cut the barrels to about 13" and have an overall 21-1/2" length. I want to refinish the barrels and receiver to a quality finish and have a gun I am proud to show. The stock is my only concern. I want to cut the original pistol grip stock to leave only the pistol grip but don't know what to do with the hole that will be left in the grip where the bolt goes through that attaches stock to receiver. How have some of you handled this in a cosmetically pleasing manner? I may even have the grip re-checkered and nicely finished to complement the other re-finishing. Any suggestions, thoughts, links, or pictures would be appreciated.
Old August 20, 2011, 03:43 PM   #2
oneounceload

Plastic pistol grips have the bolt showing - at least the one I took off a pump does.

You said barrels, so I am assuming you are modifying a SxS - does it have the through bolt, or is it the type where the tang is what attaches it to the frame?
Old August 20, 2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Char181

It has a through bolt and you are correct it is a double barrel. I want to cut the existing pistol grip out of the existing pistol grip stock. I want the grip as nice looking as possible and may have the grip re-finished and re-checkered. I guess some sort of wooden Plug could be used and just drill it out if I ever had to remove the stock again. Kind of "tacky" but I have no other ideas.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:42 PM   #4
chack

1)Buy or make a wood plug.
2)Use sandpaper and a file to shape the plug to a snug, but not tight, fit.
3)Insert the plug into the hole of the roughly finished grip.
4)Screw a long thin screw in from the side so that it locks the plug in place. 5)Shape and finish the pistol grip with the plug installed.

If/when you want to remove it you just unscrew the long thin screw from the side and pop out the plug.
Old August 21, 2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Char181

Thanks so much for for this suggestion. I hadn't thought about a screw or a long thin roll pin. Excellent idea.